• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Use LODs in ADE MSFS2020

Country
us-northcarolina
Question... Lets say I have a model that converts to this..see pic.....In order to add this model to ADE..it reads 1 xml/gltf/bin...you can't add this in its present form.. The project will not build and you will have errors..so how do I convert this to get the one of each. I tried Blender to import and export and it created 1 of each but even if you put it in the folder..ADE is looking for the multiple LOD's and it will error and not build.
Hope you are not lost..I am....lol

Thanks,
BobM.

Attachments

• 75.JPG
    75.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
More information please. I assume you added a custom model to ADE with more than one LOD? If so is this in its own sub folder or directly under the \modelLib folder

What is telling you that you can't add the model in the current form? The build window or something else. I have done many things with ADE but not sure it checks custom models.

ADE assumes that the format for custom models is correct. It make no checks itself but relies on the build to report any issues

Country
unitedstates
There is nothing wrong with what you displayed in your post. All of the files shown should be in your package sources>....modelLib folder with or without a subfolder. The single .xml file contains the instructions on how the other files are handled for LODs. As Jon says, some further explanation is needed from you regarding your error problems.

Country
us-northcarolina
Thanks Jon and Art209....Jon..this is the checkershed that you removed yesterday because the build would throw an error. I got to thinking about it...dangerous....I took the gltf lods and I imported them into Blender and I merged them into one gltf/bin and created a new xml just showing the correct guid number and it went in smoothly and showed up in UMM and the sim..only problem is my textures are flashing. The build was looking for pngs which i had and that seem to satisfy everything. Any input on why the textures are flashing for the checkershed..

Jon...I mentioned yesterday that ADE says Backup was completed but nothing is showing up so I am just copying the project and keeping it aside as backup....

Thanks

BobM.

Attachments

• 76.JPG
    76.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 69
  • 77.JPG
    77.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 78.JPG
    78.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 68
Country
unitedstates
Any input on why the textures are flashing for the checkershed..
Usually flashing is caused by an object having a surface too close behind another textured surface and the alternate surfaces show with motion. You realize that there are checkered shed library objects?

Country
us-northcarolina
Oops ok.. I will look...I am a neonoobie at this stuff... Its encouraging that I got it to at least show up.... This was an fsx model I am pretty sure. if you run across a control tower with working lights , that would be wonderful...

Thanks art209

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I need to change the default location to save projects because it goes into the ADE entrails. You should really have a specific folder outside of ADE to save projects in.

Country
us-northcarolina
I need to change the default location to save projects because it goes into the ADE entrails. You should really have a specific folder outside of ADE to save projects in.
Thanks.. I will relocate..greets....not sure this can be done..or I don't know how to do it but in the "build" window...any errors could be highlighted in a different color to attract you to it and easier to find particularly if you have a large build..Just a thought..

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
.not sure this can be done..or I don't know how to do it but in the "build" window...any errors could be highlighted in a different color to attract you to it and easier to find particularly if you have a large build..Just a thought..
The build window is on Asobo's patch. The one ADE uses is coming from the package tool and is monochrome. The in Sim Dev Mode generates a more colorful output but last time I looked it still contained a lot of 'junk'

I copy the build text out to Notepad if it's big and hard to follow. Still monochrome but at least you can dig around and even flag bits of it

Country
us-northcarolina
Yeah..there is alot of stuff in the DevMode build window.... Just a thought..thanks Jon..

Country
us-illinois
The build window is on Asobo's patch. The one ADE uses is coming from the package tool and is monochrome. The in Sim Dev Mode generates a more colorful output but last time I looked it still contained a lot of 'junk'

I copy the build text out to Notepad if it's big and hard to follow. Still monochrome but at least you can dig around and even flag bits of it

Hi Jon:

I have considered this option using legacy DOS / CMD mode commands to redirect console window text to a file;

Perhaps this might prove useful for those wishing to keep individual and/or appended sequential logs for a project ? :idea:

GaryGB

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jon:

I have considered this option using legacy DOS / CMD mode commands to redirect console window text to a file;

Perhaps this might prove useful for those wishing to keep individual and/or appended sequential logs for a project ? :idea:

GaryGB

Thanks Gary for that. I will take a look