• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Very sad to read about this

Actually it's "Tyme" and it really is his name. He was ragged on unmercifully as a child with that name. What were his parent's thinking! :rotfl:

I've offered him free room and board in my home if needed. There's not much more I can do at this time.

His story should remind people to get a lawyer involved. May seem expensive at the time (Tyme)
but worth it in the end. Especially when you hear stories like this.

Ken

I feel sad with him too. I have two jobs, flight sim job and another real time job. If one of them fail, I can have another to continue my flight like two engines airplane. Even it is harder to control, you can keep flying. Otherwise need an emergency landing and you never know you can find a good airfield or land in the woods.
Hope he can get on the air soon after the engine is fixed.

Sad indeed. I was an ardent user of FSGenesis for quite a while until I started developing scenery…I figured I should go with the lowest common denominator–default FSX–for a wider "customer base"…although at the time it was freeware.

That said, there are a few things we can do aside from the generosity of those mentioned above.

1 - Boycot FSGenesis sales - through this and other forums we should be able to make a dent in sales.

2 - I note that their web site has a "Contact us" feature - so contact them and let them know (respectfully) what you think of their business trickery.

3 - As someone who has "gone over to the dark side" - Payware…I plan on redoing some of my sceneries using FSGenesis as the foundation terrain mesh, with a major part of the proceeds going to Tyme's legal expenses. (Although it will have to wait a bit - I go in for prostrate cancer surgery later this month…but as soon as I am up and about.)

Finally, Ken hit the nail on the head.
His story should remind people to get a lawyer involved. May seem expensive at the time (Tyme) but worth it in the end

Mrs. "Hangar32" Version 1.0 was taking me to the cleaners in my divorce, until I got a (very expensive) lawyer involved. Worth every penny.

BTW Mrs. Hangar32 Ver 2.0 is much better - a friendly user interface and a completely stable OS. I'm never upgrading again. :D

Update - I just sent a delicately worded "Contact Us" message to FSGenesis…sure hope they know how to read between the lines.:cool:

Last edited:
I contacted FSGenesis about 6 months ago and asked why I couldn't download
any of the updates for mesh I had bought. I got a reply telling me the company
had been sold. I was told prove you were a customer. I told them you must have
the records of my purchase. I gave them both of my e:mail addresses which
Justin knew and honored. I got a "Too bad so sad" reply. In other words Go to hell.

So no more of my business.

Ken

I should say it's surprising to see people's slant upon hearing one side of a story, but it's too common place nowadays. So it is what it is.

The troubles were there long before any sale of a business and I for one, grew tired of the incessant emails asking for business of an inferior product or an out-right donation.

I'm not insensitive to those that may need a helping hand, just leery of hearing the same old lines, just with a different tune playing in the background. Financial aid might not be the most important asset that an individual could receive.

And with a background of dealing with the prior ownership of FS Pilot Shop, I am aware that they might be the bad guys here.

But I'd really like to have Paul Harvey tell me "the rest of the story..."

I read the post above (NoNewMessages) with interest. I tend to keep an open mind myself, and was going to offer that mindset on this thread, but you did it for me.

That said, Justin Tyme helped me immensely when he represented a product I bought, although I don't even remember its name now (flightshop?). He represented it, and it allowed for creation of terrain during the fs2002 days or perhaps fs2000...long ago. It was hard to use, and without his support after the sale, I wouldn't have succeeded. So its totally natural to sympathize.

And getting ripped off stories are always easy to sympathize with.

The reality is that a business owner has the rights granted to him in the purchasing agreements, which we have no access to. If this purchaser is acting within his rights, then he has lived up to his obligations, even if a sad story has resulted for someone some of us care about. Striking out at that owner, without the details, is mindless.

" I am weary of struggling with the minimum wage income from menial manual labor jobs "

I only a part time minimum wage job, which I hate, but it still pays more per hour than developing has turned out to.

Last edited:
And with a background of dealing with the prior ownership of FS Pilot Shop, I am aware that they might be the bad guys here.

But I'd really like to have Paul Harvey tell me "the rest of the story..."
I could not agree more.

In 2009 FSGenesis offered a paid-for lifetime membership so customers could have rights to download all current and future terrain mesh products from FSGenesis.

Justin posted on AVSIM on 17 October 2014 - 01:36 AM
My sincere apologies to all Galaxy members. Mathematically, it was doomed from the start but took nearly a decade to gradually reach the threshold of diminishing returns by removing the best customers from the future revenue stream. The demise was certain almost from the beginning. Had I capped the Galaxy memberships at a much lower number, revenues would have continued to grow and I would be contemplating retirement by now.

Surely FSGenesis wasn't actually worth anything at the end?

While I must admit, my previous post sounds like I took Justin's story "hook, line & sinker", I spent 28 years as a naval intelligence officer [insert oxymoron jokes here] so I do not rely on what we would call, "single source reporting" - I knew there would be more to this and the above posts certainly tell more of the story. Many thanks.

That said, if Justin is not getting the royalties owed him, something is likely amiss…I sincerely hope it can be rectified or at least understood.

…and it sounds like I won't be getting my free FSGenesis mesh updates…the last time I refreshed was years ago <sigh>

Last edited:
That said, if Justin is not getting the royalties owed him, something is likely amiss…

If FSGenesis isn't worth anything perhaps there aren't any royalties?

I think Justin's problem is simply that FSX shipped with mesh that's nearly as good as anything he sells. Different story in FS9 where his mesh made a HUGE difference, but in FSX the difference is hardly detectable at least in the US.

As a character reference, he probably could have had the several Gb of freeware mesh he uploaded to the flightsim.com file library removed when he decided to go payware with it and that probably would have increased his sales significantly on the FS9 mesh back in the day but he didn't do that, he left it all right there for us to enjoy. I personally used it for years before I finally upgraded to a payware worldwide DVD set mainly just to support his efforts. The freeware is still available today, funny how folks are so quick to forget things like that when it's time to assemble an Avsim lynch mob over inaccessible downloads 5 years after the fact when the responsibility of keeping backups of what they'd downloaded was their own in the first place. They don't get a lot of sympathy from me.

While at my age I do not worry much about what people may think about me, I did want to readdress my comments a small bit.

As Jim mentions above, there was free mesh for FS9 (at the big A) and I liked it so much, I went and paid for it. Bought the FSX stuff as soon as it came out, FWIW. So I was a supporter over the years. Though my understanding was that since someone else had released free mesh, that the FSG release was a reaction to that.

But over my many decades I have been in contact with people who have problems that money alone cannot cure. Money can pay for some or all of a cure, that's for sure. I'm not making any claims, just expressing some doubt, some sorrow and a life's worth of skepticism.

And a Hear, hear! for making backup DVDs. Payware producers should not be thought of as an online backup service for the dimwits of the world!

As one who goes way back in flightsimming and remembers dearly the concept of freeware, it will come as no surprise to anyone that I am not particularly a fan of payware. In fact, beyond EZScenery, Instant Scenery, and my beloved Eaglesoft business jets and Dodosim choppers, the only payware I was a return customer of was FSGenesis. I was in fact, one of the original Galaxy members, and Justin was always there for any issues,... he was payware when payware wasn't cool.
Meeting up with Justin in Denver at the AVSIM convention was memorable, he was a flightsim pioneer and an innovator when there were no other mesh products worth installing.
Perhaps more importantly, Justin also provided one of the earliest forums where enthusiasts could learn about, and share ideas about scenery design, and many of today's leading scenery designers were regular visitors.

It is sad that Justin has bottomed out as the proprietor of FSGenesis, yet I doubt that any Galaxy members could not foresee the eventual outcome. I feel like I got my money's worth out of my FSGenesis Galaxy membership over the years, and I hope only the best for Justin, and every other payware developer who thought they would sell their products to every FS enthusiast in the world, whether they were offering lifetime updates or not.
Shhhh...... it happens.
Keep your chin up Justin!

Remembering the good old days.
Gman

Back