• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Video Tutorial Series for Creating Scenery with Blender

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Hi everyone,

Over a year ago, I started a scenery apprentice program at iBlueYonder where people could work with me to learn the ins and outs of commercial-quality scenery design in exchange for working on projects with me. It was a popular program, and several people have used it to contribute to some of my projects. There has also been a lot of interest among people who are just starting out, but wanted someone to point them in the right direction. Since we're all stuck at home right now, I've decided to make the beginner lessons available to everyone as a YouTube playlist. The lessons are all Blender-based, and use 2.79 because up until now there's been no MDL exporter for 2.8x (that will be changing soon, looks like). So if you're interested, check out https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl1GZH_qxFhQbg1LJguhXVZdZ5pAPu2_4 - and leave comments in the individual videos if you get stuck on anything or have a better way to do things.

thanks,
Bill Womack

Country
unitedstates
You're da man, Bill! Thanks for making these available; I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few days...

Country
us-illinois
Bill, thank you so much for giving of your time, talent and expertise to create these tutorial videos. Your original layered asphalt tutorial from your Plum Island project was one of the most eye-opening tutorials I've seen on creating ground polygons, and this new series takes that information light years forward! I really appreciate your generosity in sharing these, as do I'm sure many, many others here at FSDeveloper.

Mark

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Bill, thank you so much for giving of your time, talent and expertise to create these tutorial videos. Your original layered asphalt tutorial from your Plum Island project was one of the most eye-opening tutorials I've seen on creating ground polygons, and this new series takes that information light years forward! I really appreciate your generosity in sharing these, as do I'm sure many, many others here at FSDeveloper.

Mark

You're very welcome, Mark. I've been fortunate enough to learn from a great many people over the years, so I hope I can give something back in return.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
A tutorial taking the beginners from A to Z, it's impeccable and very well done. bravo Bill

Country
switzerland
Thank you so much for doing these. I wanted to develop scenery for p3d since a longer time, but as there were no good tutorials it seemed to be very difficult, which is why I did scenery for XP11 until now. Im excited to learn!

Country
switzerland
Hi Bill

Thanks a lot for the tutorials. I try to follow it using Blender 2.82. As you can probably imagine as a newbe I have some difficulties to 'translate' the tutorial to the new blender version. Should people ask questions about the tutorial here or in a separate new topic?

Currently I have the following questions:
  • Setting up blender: Samples to 25 --> could not find this setting
  • Blender background image: My background image is imported as shown in the tutorial but does not show (just a grey area)
Thanks a lot for any help
Hannes

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Hi Bill

Thanks a lot for the tutorials. I try to follow it using Blender 2.82. As you can probably imagine as a newbe I have some difficulties to 'translate' the tutorial to the new blender version. Should people ask questions about the tutorial here or in a separate new topic?

Currently I have the following questions:
  • Setting up blender: Samples to 25 --> could not find this setting
  • Blender background image: My background image is imported as shown in the tutorial but does not show (just a grey area)
Thanks a lot for any help
Hannes

Hi Hannes,

Doing baking is a bit different now, because we don't have the Blender Internal rendering engine any more. You'll need to bake the AO in Cycles. The sampling is in the render properties panel, near the top, once you've switched to Cycles.

Regarding the background image, are you in material preview or rendered mode, as opposed to solid, perhaps?

Country
switzerland
Thanks! Background show problem solved though I do not yet understand the terminology you use. But I will learn it by continuing with the tutorial!

Country
unitedstates
Hi everyone,

Over a year ago, I started a scenery apprentice program at iBlueYonder where people could work with me to learn the ins and outs of commercial-quality scenery design in exchange for working on projects with me. It was a popular program, and several people have used it to contribute to some of my projects. There has also been a lot of interest among people who are just starting out, but wanted someone to point them in the right direction. Since we're all stuck at home right now, I've decided to make the beginner lessons available to everyone as a YouTube playlist. The lessons are all Blender-based, and use 2.79 because up until now there's been no MDL exporter for 2.8x (that will be changing soon, looks like). So if you're interested, check out https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl1GZH_qxFhQbg1LJguhXVZdZ5pAPu2_4 - and leave comments in the individual videos if you get stuck on anything or have a better way to do things.

thanks,
Bill Womack
Thanks for the tutorial series Bill. I came across your post this past Saturday while searching for a tutorial. I feel like I am headed in the right direction now. I'm just getting started, but I hope to talk to you at some point once I'm more up to speed and able to ask an intelligent question. I live about 3 mi. from DAL.

Country
canada
Hi everyone,

thanks,
Bill Womack
Hi Bill
Thank you so much for your playlist. I wish I had seen your post earlier because all the while last night I was trying to get install the blender2fsxp3d addon to properly install into blender 2.8x.
Learned the hard way that I have to install 2.79b version.
Thank you

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hi Bill
Thank you so much for your playlist. I wish I had seen your post earlier because all the while last night I was trying to get install the blender2fsxp3d addon to properly install into blender 2.8x.
Learned the hard way that I have to install 2.79b version.
Thank you
A quick look over here should've helped:
I upgraded the toolset for Blender 2.8x and we keep working on it to improve on its functions.

Country
canada
A quick look over here should've helped:
I upgraded the toolset for Blender 2.8x and we keep working on it to improve on its functions.

Thank you that helped.
I have gotten both blender 2.79a running and blender 2.8x latest version now the p3d toolset.

Country
unitedstates
Just want to say thank you Bill for posting these videos. I talked to you about your apprentice program awhile back. I developed some freeware stuff in past and I came back here to try and start learning blender because when the new Flight Simulator comes out I want to be able to design new airports for the new version. I left FSX/P3D awhile ago after losing interest and flying more in DCS instead. The new MSFS has reeled me back in so I'm looking forward to learning the basics here and translating that into the new Blender 2.8 and the new MSFS! Thanks again Bill!

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Amazing and perfect video, Bill !
Your presentation of this new toolset under Blender 2.8x is very interesting.
A few months ago, I decided to port some of my addons to Blender v2.79b and I am very happy of all fonctions that Blender can offer to the developer. Yours videos about scenery creations are very appreciated. Since2 weeks, i begin to works with Blender 2.83 and the Vitus toolset and I was surprise by all new possibilities that theses two softwares can bring to us. I think that my Gmax has made his time and has no more utility for me in the future.

Last edited: