• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Video Tutorial Series for Creating Scenery with Blender

Country
unitedkingdom
Many thanks, Bill, awesome videos!

I've been tinkering with Blender on and off for a while but have never managed to get even the simplest of objects working in the sim. Within a few hours of watching your tutorials, I had my first simple 3D object designed, textured and placed in P3D.

Cheers,

Paul

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Many thanks, Bill, awesome videos!

I've been tinkering with Blender on and off for a while but have never managed to get even the simplest of objects working in the sim. Within a few hours of watching your tutorials, I had my first simple 3D object designed, textured and placed in P3D.

Cheers,

Paul

That's great to hear, Paul! Keep at it!

Country
us-louisiana
Bill, I am glad I am having a texturing problem. It brought me here and I saw this thread. I have bookmarked the link and will be viewing each and every video. I remember how informative that video you did, a few years ago, on the rustic house was. I know these will be most enlightening. Thank you for taking your time to make them. I along with every other struggling amateur scenery builder appreciate you and your efforts to share your knowledge.

John

Country
us-arizona
Bill,

Fantastic timing you have, been putting this great information to good use lately and been burning the midnight oil and dreaming of verts! Your time is much appreciated good sir and once there's something to show off I'll be giving you many shout-outs for all of the help you have been. Here's a progress shot of all the verts being created and manipulated.

Thank you,

Jon
justgettingstarted.jpg

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Bill,

Fantastic timing you have, been putting this great information to good use lately and been burning the midnight oil and dreaming of verts! Your time is much appreciated good sir and once there's something to show off I'll be giving you many shout-outs for all of the help you have been. Here's a progress shot of all the verts being created and manipulated.

Thank you,

Jon

Looking good, Jon! I'm glad you were able to find something of use in the vids.

Country
us-arizona
Bill,

Still applying the knowledge learnt from this series to keep churning out assets. Slowly but surely I'm getting an approach to a decent workflow. Managed to get a PBR material cube into P3Dv5 and that made me happy! It's amazing how much stuff I forgot being away from fsdevelopment for so long. Hope you don't mind me posting pics in this thread, just wanted to toss one more on here to show my progress. Once I have more to show I'll start a new thread.

WIP_Assets_001.jpg

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
are there such tutorials for msfs?

Not that I know of. I'm working on a set of them for my apprentices, but they're for internal use at the moment. Anyone serious about learning is welcome to apply, though. apprentice(at)iblueyonder.com

Country
france
Hello,

What a work Spotlope ! Thank you.

I think it is the most comprehensive tutorial about scenery i have seen.

I will use it to create scenery on FS20. The only two differences I see is its 2.80 blender UI and the add process in FS20 but it's possible with tutorials in FS20 forum.

About Blender, in your tutorial you set Samples from 5 to 25. This is no longer needed in blender 2.80? I did not find the interface.

Thomas

Last edited:
Country
australia
re the new Blender2P3DFSX Toolset intro video
great content but the video presentation is awful
the unscreen text is too small to be helpful and we must use
your verbal presentation and personal knowledge of Blender
to get things right.
please have mercy on older eyes.

regards
joe

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
re the new Blender2P3DFSX Toolset intro video
great content but the video presentation is awful
the unscreen text is too small to be helpful and we must use
your verbal presentation and personal knowledge of Blender
to get things right.
please have mercy on older eyes.

regards
joe

Did you watch the video in full-screen mode and at full 1440 resolution, Joe? It's presented in exactly the same size as I saw on my screen when I recorded it.

Country
unitedstates
I posted in another thread but I just wanted to say thanks to Bill for these tutorial videos! Between you and others I successfully placed 2 custom buildings in MSFS this week! I'm still new to Blender so this was a big deal for me. LOL. I hope if you have time you can make some videos like these for MSFS! I'm sure time is a luxury though that you don't have!

Brandon

Country
fiji
Thx for the videos Bill!!.
I'm still learning, but about PBR textures, do you work them out and then edit out the AO map adding the detailed textures? (windows/doors)

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Thx for the videos Bill!!.
I'm still learning, but about PBR textures, do you work them out and then edit out the AO map adding the detailed textures? (windows/doors)

I use Substance Painter for my PBR materials. Doing it by hand is just too labor intensive for my taste. I did do manual conversions for KPDX (MSFS version), but it was involved, and took nearly a month.

Country
fiji
I use Substance Painter for my PBR materials. Doing it by hand is just too labor intensive for my taste. I did do manual conversions for KPDX (MSFS version), but it was involved, and took nearly a month.

Thx!!

i'm talking about details...how do you add them to your PBR texture in Substance Painter?
Since Substance Painter manual painting tool, doesn't even have a proper way to put windows/doors in a straight line as far as i know.

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Thx!!

i'm talking about details...how do you add them to your PBR texture in Substance Painter?
Since Substance Painter manual painting tool, doesn't even have a proper way to put windows/doors in a straight line as far as i know.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, that's a tough one. I've had to work around the lack of a straight line tool for now by creating a new layer into which I paint some grid lines. Then I use the stencil tool to paint in things like windows, manually aligning them on another layer with the grid I created. After it's all set, I just delete the grid and there you go. It's not clever or simple, and it's still a bit of a pain, but it's the only quick-ish way I've found so far.

Country
fiji
Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, that's a tough one. I've had to work around the lack of a straight line tool for now by creating a new layer into which I paint some grid lines. Then I use the stencil tool to paint in things like windows, manually aligning them on another layer with the grid I created. After it's all set, I just delete the grid and there you go. It's not clever or simple, and it's still a bit of a pain, but it's the only quick-ish way I've found so far.

Exactly!. I thought i was the only one with that issue due to my limited knowledge of Substance Painter...but it seems a common one.

Country
fiji
Sorry again Bill...but how are you doing it with your ground polys?.

I did a ground poly Draw Order 0. Then put some Asphalt border Draw Order 1 (Alpha Blend mode) and Zfighting is crazy on the sim.

Are you using Projected Mesh?

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates

I'm struggling with this right now as I am learning substance painter. I have some door trim to put on the outside edges of my door. You said you are "painting grid lines" on a new layer. Is this a texture that you made with perfect grid lines or are you actually painting straight lines where you want your objects to go? I have some 2D doors I want to paint on my faces and the door trim but as was mentioned there is no straight line tool so I am struggling to figure out how you did this.