FS2004 Win 10 1903 Update

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
1903 caused my fs2004 to crash to desktop unexpectedly when selecting airports. It also messed with some of the vector displays. I uninstalled fs2004, and reinstalled, updated to fs9.1, and used the fs9_1_nocd, and all is now well.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
1903 didn't cause problems for me - but I didn't run it until after the update that came "after" the 1903 update. Already, had it updated to fs9.1 and the fs9_1_nocd as well.

Updated by right-clicking on the FS2004 Icon and changed:

FS2004_setup.png

Nothing more was done. Hope that helps in making a safe decision. :D

EDIT: actually changed the reduced color mode to 16-bit (65536) color

Last edited:

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
In addition beware that 1903 has the ability to cause issues (understated) to older motherboards as it doesn't carry all the key older drivers and therefore can knock out the graphics cards and processors within days. However, in discussion with MS level 3 they have assured me that this has been corrected and should not present issues (take from that what you will).

Consider also some of the graphics cards carrying Photoshop and the like . Screen setting with 2050 designation should be changed in settings to SRGBIEC1966-2.1.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
In addition beware that 1903 has the ability to cause issues (understated) to older motherboards as it doesn't carry all the key older drivers and therefore can knock out the graphics cards and processors within days.
Not enough info, please list affected hardware or provide a link.

Consider also some of the graphics cards carrying Photoshop and the like . Screen setting with 2050 designation should be changed in settings to SRGBIEC1966-2.1.
Er, wot?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
No, I'm sorry, that list isn't infinite or anything like. I'd like to know if my older hardware might be affected but that link doesn't even mention it. I've seen too many "everybody knows Windows Update Xxyyz changes video drivers to XGA and rewires your motherboard to an electric toaster o_O" threads to take them very seriously. I had hoped you were going to point me to a useful link or thread, but my PC keeps running – including running Photoshop – so I'm fairly relaxed for now. :coffee:

Never mind.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
There are a number of posts Ive made back in Jan 2019 about the issue as it took out my older motherboard on a self build then, following Msoft intervention they applied a mirror and found it went don a second time within 24 hours. Passed to level 3 and they confirmed that older motherboard were susceptible to the issue. despite my best endeavours I lost the board and eventually the hard drive as they inadvertently over wrote all my files on teh wrong drove (D and not C:)

The issue of 1903 was not published by MS in 2018 (june) as they felt it was not an issue but then suddenly found loads of calls and community entries were older machine fell over -

latest issue posted - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...g-beta-firmware-with-windows-10-1903.3500139/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/4effab3c-bd41-4bf2-9107-d0494206eb49

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...zing-boot-drive-after-windows-10-1903-update/

Tom these are just a few of the still happening issues : most are older devices - level 3 at Microsoft (Rinna) worked with me for 2 weeks and found that some boards were having problems and if caught earlier enough could be wound back - HOWEVER, as many may known stopping updates in Win10 is now an issue as even their level 2 teams are struggling to counter the install command. New machines (12 months oldish) are fine but its some issue with the Bios incompatibility on old machines - the graphics are issue can come from NAVIDIA who were also complaining that many of their longer serving customer suddenly found cards not responding as the driver was absent of corrupted on the update features - my old machine was about 8 years old and doing a grand job until 1903 dropping. We attempted to force a block on the updates but sure enough in it came and back to start. If your machine is no effected GREAT!. But the issue comes in that MS really didnt know what boards in total were going to fail . IN Jan 2019 they released a new version of 1903 but didnt change the release number (no guesses why)

I posted simply to make people aware that if something strange started happening that it might not be viral or they hardware failing.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Tom’s Hardware is something I can work with, thanks; I’ve used that site for tech info many times over the years. So far I read problems are with much older gear than mine and AMD processors and chipsets are more likely to have problems. Being a Real Square I always built Intel rigs, but we’ll see...