• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Gmax !Failed to find FSX SDK Installation!

Country
newzealand
Hi, I recently started to use Gmax and made a small taxi edge light for FSX however when I try to export it as a .MDL file it says Failed to find FSX SDK Installation! Then doesnt export. This is really frustrating for me as I have placed the FSX SDK Gamepack from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\FSX_GmaxGamePack to C:\gmax\gamepacks I didnt do a manual installation as I didnt know how. Can someone please help me so I can start creating Scenery for FSX. I have FSX Steam Edition.

Thanks -Wish

Country
australia
Hi,

The program is probably searching for your FSX SDK in the default location (for FSX boxed SDK) or it is searching the registry for the location and not finding it. I actually added the FSX Steam SDK to the registry in the location of the default FSX SDK last night, as I was using a program that needed to find the BGL compiler, and I don't currently have the "actual" FSX SDK installed (as I need to connect my DVD drive before I can install the SDK from the FSX Gold disc).

I just copied my SDK folder from the FSX Steam installation and placed it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK".

You do need to remember that the FSX Steam SDK is incomplete, and if you need missing components, you can use the P3D V1 SDK as a surrogate for missing components, or a replacement for a complete FSX SDK.

https://prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

Then, using a great bit of info from n4gix from this site, I added the registry entries manually.

Here is what to do, and the original post(#2):

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/install-sdk-without-fsx.19042/

Cheers,

Country
newzealand
Hi,

The program is probably searching for your FSX SDK in the default location (for FSX boxed SDK) or it is searching the registry for the location and not finding it. I actually added the FSX Steam SDK to the registry in the location of the default FSX SDK last night, as I was using a program that needed to find the BGL compiler, and I don't currently have the "actual" FSX SDK installed (as I need to connect my DVD drive before I can install the SDK from the FSX Gold disc).

I just copied my SDK folder from the FSX Steam installation and placed it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK".

You do need to remember that the FSX Steam SDK is incomplete, and if you need missing components, you can use the P3D V1 SDK as a surrogate for missing components, or a replacement for a complete FSX SDK.

Then, using a great bit of info from n4gix from this site, I added the registry entries manually.

Cheers,
Hi thanks for the advice however the error still comes up and it still wont work. I will try again tomorrow to see if it works. Thanks!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
You need to start GMax from the shortcut in the "gamepack" folder to load the gamepack. Or you'll need to create a shortcut that loads the gamepack.

The "target" path of my shortcut looks like this:
Code:
"F:\Development Utilities\GMax\gmax.exe" -i gamepacks\FSX_GMaxGamepack\gmax.ini -p gamepacks\FSX_GMaxGamepack\plugin.ini

Note the "-i..." and "-p..." appendices.

Country
australia
You should add the registry entries to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (not sure if that's what you tried already :)

I should also add that it is best to backup your registry before making any more changes by highlighting "Computer" in Regedit, then clicking on "File" tab, then choosing Export, and saving that file somewhere safe. Apologies if you know this already, just thought I should make sure.

Cheers,

Country
newzealand
You should add the registry entries to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (not sure if that's what you tried already :)

I should also add that it is best to backup your registry before making any more changes by highlighting "Computer" in Regedit, then clicking on "File" tab, then choosing Export, and saving that file somewhere safe. Apologies if you know this already, just thought I should make sure.

Cheers,
So uh, My computer broke. I made the backup then a blue screen appeared, no text nothing, then it had a repair option so I tried to restore it to a restore point from a few weeks ago and it failed to restore. I might be able to fix it by restoring the entire PC and maybe saving the Key files. Is there any other way to install the SDK? Just to prevent me from making the same mistake. If you have a discord maybe we could call?

Last edited:
Country
australia
Sorry to hear about the PC. Adding those entries to the registry should not have caused that. Not sure what has happened.

Only other way to install the FSX SDK is to install them off the FSX Deluxe or Gold discs, unless you can find the SDK online somewhere, which is a possibility.

Cheers,

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Or use the P3Dv1 SDK. It's nearly identical to the FSX one, but won't require doing the annoying service pack dance.

I think you might even get away with saving the SDK folder somewhere and then copy it back once you restored Windows. As long as you restore the registry entries as well, it should work like it used to.

Country
newzealand
Sorry to hear about the PC. Adding those entries to the registry should not have caused that. Not sure what has happened.

Only other way to install the FSX SDK is to install them off the FSX Deluxe or Gold discs, unless you can find the SDK online somewhere, which is a possibility.

Cheers,
Turns out while I was attempting to back it up I made a mistake. I tried again this morning and changed the registry however gmax still shows the error

Country
newzealand
Or use the P3Dv1 SDK. It's nearly identical to the FSX one, but won't require doing the annoying service pack dance.

I think you might even get away with saving the SDK folder somewhere and then copy it back once you restored Windows. As long as you restore the registry entries as well, it should work like it used to.
I have already tried this and it has also failed :(

Country
australia
I have already tried this and it has also failed :(

Make sure you are starting GMAX using the FSX Gamepack as Bjoern stated above (not sure if you have been doing this already). Any saved model file should be able to be loaded and exported once you are in the gamepack version.

See Bjoern's (Heretic's) post above (#4)

"You need to start GMax from the shortcut in the "gamepack" folder to load the gamepack. Or you'll need to create a shortcut that loads the gamepack.

Code:

"F:\Development Utilities\GMax\gmax.exe" -i gamepacks\FSX_GMaxGamepack\gmax.ini -p gamepacks\FSX_GMaxGamepack\plugin.ini

Note the "-i..." and "-p..." appendices."

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-find-fsx-sdk-installation.442162/post-792533

Cheers,

Country
newzealand
Make sure you are starting GMAX using the FSX Gamepack as Bjoern stated above (not sure if you have been doing this already). Any saved model file should be able to be loaded and exported once you are in the gamepack version.

"You need to start GMax from the shortcut in the "gamepack" folder to load the gamepack. Or you'll need to create a shortcut that loads the gamepack.

Code:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-find-fsx-sdk-installation.442162/post-792533

Cheers,
I used the gamepack one and it still hasnt worked, do not know whats with the code tho

Country
newzealand

Code:

Cheers,
Please help me

Country
newzealand
Country
unitedstates
Hi,

Cheers,
In February 2023, the earliest P3D SDK at https://prepar3d.com/support/sdk/ is now v3, not v1. I do not know about compatibility, nor have I tried it yet.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
It will not create an FSX compatible model. Only version 1 did.

Here's a link:

Hope this helps,

Country
unitedstates
Thanks, Tom. The first time I saw it, it looked like an inactive page. I didn't know to click the "Go to Download" link in the upper right.

Maybe this will help the next person.

And thanks for all the hard work bringing the California Classics propliners to FSX! (I had to switch to FSX to get an A330 for an event, and it's hard enough to keep one sim instance healthy).

I've slowly started on the Propliner Tutorial Videos and wanted to use Transcontinental Air Transport to illustrate pioneer era navigation. I looked for a Glendale - Grand Central Air Terminal and could not find one. So I had a brief battle with GMax, decided I would be better just learning Blender, but still need the SDK.

P3D v1 SDK Download Page.jpg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Correct, that button can be hard to see, I agree.

I have a VERY simple and generic version of Grand Central Airport in the classic AI AFCAD zip file. But you would only see the terminal if you have the Southwestern USA scenery active (or move the Airizona 1963 library BGL and the needed textures from the package to an active scenery folder), and the hangars if you have the GA Hangars library (in the big CalClassic libraries download and elsewhere - ga hangers ss v3.bgl). It's ICAO code is GCAT, and you would need the AFX_GCAT.BGL and GCAT_beacon.BGL files from the classic AI GA package. Install to a temp folder (use the ... button to browse to a different folder) and pick those files out. Same with the Arizona library file. ModelConverterX could show you which textures are needed (it's the Phoenix railroad station). The details of that building:
A9A8766E4323EFBC760F92A659662920 kphx_rrstation

Or you could just grab the AFX file (which is just an ADE file), install that, and use Blender to create the rest. :)

Hope this helps,