• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SODE Visual Docking Guidance Systems

Country
switzerland
Any news on the VDGS??

Hi,

No big news. While the code and the system is working for a long time already, it is still difficult how to distribute it commercially. Placing and fine-tuning those boxes for each and every parking spot is a time-consuming, tedious task. Doing that for free is not a option for me, keeping SODE freeware is enough free-time spent on a software project.

Question for you as a potential end-user: Would you be willing to pay let's say 1 USD for a particular airport and maybe some 5 USD for the base VDGS package? I'd be interested...

Country
denmark
I would ... This is done already for example with AES when you buy credits..
so from me as a user's point... i would pay for a particular airport and also by the VDGS package to get it work.

Dennis

Country
italy
I would be willing surely! One of the biggest features missing in P3D v3 is the VDGS, many airports have a lot of details but not the VDGS and for me this makes the realism drop to zero! Couldn't it be possible to implement a way so that the single user can add the box to the parkings he wishes?

Country
france
hi
so as i understood the VDGS won't be for free and we can't creat a model using a max scrpit like the jetways ?

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
hi
so as i understood the VDGS won't be for free and we can't ctrea a model using a max scrpit like the jetways ?
You got it.

Creating a VDGS model might look easy, but it's not. There is quite some programming/engineering involved to make it fully functional.
A generic script would be useless, since every VDGS model has its own features and specialities. Jetways are more common among each other.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
You got it.

Creating a VDGS model might look easy, but it's not. There is quite some programming/engineering involved to make it fully functional.
A generic script would be useless, since every VDGS model has its own features and specialities. Jetways are more common among each other.
Is it possible for you to make only one model for all the parkings? I don't think a lot of people are fussy about the correct model of each airport since majority of the simmers are not airline pilots. I would be happy to buy it.

Country
germany
Frankfurt from Aerosoft has VDGS and I couldn't find they use SODE. How did they make it?
Because the direction and distances are different, I understand it is a lot of work to make VDGS for a special Gate before it works. So I would pay for it, thats sure.
Maybe this is a way to minimize the risk for both, the developer and JGoggi:
I would pay 100 Euros for the VDGS System of an airport. The first 100 customers, who buy the airport, getting the VDGS for this airport free, because I payed for them. Every customer more has to buy a licence by himself for 1 Euro. This would prevent JGoggi makes VDGS for nothing. Nobody wants to work without getting payed.

A

Aviasim

Any news on the VDGS? Been a long time now and still seems to be no way to be able to buy these off you.

Aerosoft and other teams most likely use a model coded with FS8 tools using a string of textures that change on the UVW co-ordinates based on visibility planes

Country
switzerland
Finally released today on a main add-on online market... :)

VDGS_SFO.png

A

Aviasim

Great.

Any chance we are able to create our own or are you forcing us to buy them ready made?

I guess (but I am not sure) that Arno would be able to update his VGDS system to work in P3Dv4.
He now should know the extra possibilities available in the modeldef.xml to make it work.
He probably only needs time (and a push to adapt it) and not be led astray by all those that want to know more about his MCX but never bothered to check out the basics of it.
SODE is OK but should not be a 'sine qua non' addon program any longer.
But of it is based on SODE, then it is not something new to be bought from Simmarket!

Country
switzerland
Great.

Any chance we are able to create our own or are you forcing us to buy them ready made?

Do you mean create your own VDGS models or just placements?
  • Own VDGS units, no. Each VDGS of the different manufacturers have some specialities which can't be handled by a generic script as for jetways. If there's need for other VDGS types, I'll expand the pack in a free update.
  • Own placements: Of course, using the free SODEPlacer v0.5 tool. Just provide the VDGS specific xml placement file to the end-users.

Country
germany
I immediately bought it and tried out the Demo Airport. Where can I find a guide for developers? I mean How To for the xml ini or cfg without Sode Placer