• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS MSFS Glass material (Blender)

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Very good stuff and thanks to share your parameters which can help a lot of us.
I bookmarks thème 😀

Country
germany
Hello everyone, I'm sorry if I'm missing out on something herre but I still have some problems with my glass material.
My goal is to get reflections.

First picture: Glass is transparent.
Secund picture: Reflections appear but only from a very sharp angle.
Third picture: There is this weird texture in my glass.

Attachments

• reflections1.PNG
    reflections1.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 458
  • reflections2.PNG
    reflections2.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 495
  • reflections3.PNG
    reflections3.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 499
  • settings1.PNG
    settings1.PNG
    41.2 KB · Views: 522
  • settings2.PNG
    settings2.PNG
    48.5 KB · Views: 429
  • settings3.PNG
    settings3.PNG
    45.6 KB · Views: 399
  • settings4.PNG
    settings4.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 465
Country
russia
I'd guess you need to add OMR + Normal maps for reflections. Albedo does not have any information for light reflection at different angles.

Country
canada
Hello everyone, I'm sorry if I'm missing out on something herre but I still have some problems with my glass material.
My goal is to get reflections.

First picture: Glass is transparent.
Secund picture: Reflections appear but only from a very sharp angle.
Third picture: There is this weird texture in my glass.
I think I know how to help you at least with he pilot/cockpit reflection. I've spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to have reflective glass... MSFS Normal material is not very reflective. MSFS Glass material is reflective, but has this ugly pilot/cockpit reflection. You just need to remove the pilot/cockpit reflection by setting “Reflection Mask Factor” to 0 in Blender material settings. You have it on 1. Otherwise I think I set roughness to 0, sheen and specular to 1. But I think the glass is only reflective and looks like other MSFS has if it has no texture, nothing at all. You tint it with a pure color in Blender. I'm having a problem with parallax glass reflection - actually came here to post about it. I too don't have any reflections on surface Albedo glass texture. But it has to be used in Parallax material, so can't use MSFS glass material. But I think you can. I also tried nice glass texture with spots and imperfections, but it wasn't reflective enough, so I reverted to SMFS Glass, which has no imperfections or spots, but it's nicely reflective and looks much more as a proper glass.

I think I know how to help you at least with he pilot/cockpit reflection. I've spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to have reflective glass... MSFS Normal material is not very reflective. MSFS Glass material is reflective, but has this ugly pilot/cockpit reflection. You just need to remove the pilot/cockpit reflection by setting “Reflection Mask Factor” to 0 in Blender material settings. You have it on 1. Otherwise I think I set roughness to 0, sheen and specular to 1. But I think the glass is only reflective and looks like other MSFS has if it has no texture, nothing at all. You tint it with a pure color in Blender. I'm having a problem with parallax glass reflection - actually came here to post about it. I too don't have any reflections on surface Albedo glass texture. But it has to be used in Parallax material, so can't use MSFS glass material. But I think you can. I also tried nice glass texture with spots and imperfections, but it wasn't reflective enough, so I reverted to SMFS Glass, which has no imperfections or spots, but it's nicely reflective and looks much more as a proper glass.
What do you use for texturing?
I use Substance. I spent weeks trying to find a good setup for glass, as i hated the Glass Material from msfs.
What i do i these steps:

-In SP, import your glass object, bake the maps as usual
-Then add an Opacity channel to the object
-1 Fill layer, on Color and Opacity, full black
-Tweak the opacity to get your desired transparency
-Then add one more fill layer, on Roughness and Opacity
- Here you can add grunges, smudges, dust, fingerprints, etc. Drop the desired grunge texture on the roughness scale.

Then back to Blender, i use the Standard MSFS material, usually leaving the Alpha Multiplier to one, since the transparency is already taken care of by SP. From now on, all transparency and roughness adjustment will have to be done in SP, and then exported back to Blender. I'll try to get screenshots later on.

Dont mind the terrible UVs, just a quick and dirty example.

Attachments

• 2021-02-07 08_01_47-Window.png
    2021-02-07 08_01_47-Window.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 387
  • 2021-02-07 08_09_56-Window.png
    2021-02-07 08_09_56-Window.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 383
Country
germany
What do you use for texturing?
I use Substance. I spent weeks trying to find a good setup for glass, as i hated the Glass Material from msfs.
What i do i these steps:

-In SP, import your glass object, bake the maps as usual
-Then add an Opacity channel to the object
-1 Fill layer, on Color and Opacity, full black
-Tweak the opacity to get your desired transparency
-Then add one more fill layer, on Roughness and Opacity
- Here you can add grunges, smudges, dust, fingerprints, etc. Drop the desired grunge texture on the roughness scale.

Then back to Blender, i use the Standard MSFS material, usually leaving the Alpha Multiplier to one, since the transparency is already taken care of by SP. From now on, all transparency and roughness adjustment will have to be done in SP, and then exported back to Blender. I'll try to get screenshots later on.
I don't know exactly what you mean, but I just use blender with the toolkit and simply selected the msfs glass material.

Country
germany
I did actually put a almost blank texture on the glass. It was just a png with one little pixel painted.

Country
germany
Another question I have, is if you can use multiple textures for one object.
I want to use pbr on my airport models but don't want to use just one texture file for the whole object.

Country
italy
Of course you can use multiple texture per object
you can use a different material (with of course a different texture) for every different face of your object
And you can of course have multiple "object" on your scene in Blender, you won't have any problem exporting them in msfs via the msfstoolkit

But

Performance wise It should be better to have less textures...this Is where things gets interesting

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
germany
Of course you can use multiple texture per object
you can use a different material (with of course a different texture) for every different face of your object
And you can of course have multiple "object" on your scene in Blender, you won't have any problem exporting them in msfs via the msfstoolkit

But

Performance wise It should be better to have less textures...this Is where things gets interesting

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk
Thank you!

Country
canada
I've never managed to get the "Standard" material glass to be as nicely reflective in MSFS as MSFS glass. Smudges and grunge and all, it looked fake. MSFS glass has no texture, but looks much more like a glass.
Edit: I did manage to add some smudge texture to MSFS GLass - the trick is that when I used Albedo and ORM texture for roughness it didn't work for me and was too dark on the smallest Alpha settings of 0.1 and the lightest layer transparency in photoshop (1%). But if I just used Albedo with a very weak smudge texture that has just the right contrast and color - it works.
I texture right inside Blender, no baking. A few smartly done 2048x1024, and 1024x1024 textures (with wear along the top and bottom edges) per building would occupy less RAM than one 4K PBR texture, or at least no more, in the worst case. And no need to bake textures, and it's sharper than a single baked texture when up close.

Country
germany
Do you use the msfs toolkit to make pbr textures or the one built in blender? I know that you can make pbr textures with the noedes in blender and that you can select files in the msfs material parameters. Is it the same?

Country
canada
Do you use the msfs toolkit to make pbr textures or the one built in blender? I know that you can make pbr textures with the noedes in blender and that you can select files in the msfs material parameters. Is it the same?
I use Blender with Blender2MSFS to load textures and create the material and export the object. However to create the textures I use Photoshop if I'm doing them myself, then load them into Quixel Mixer to get the ORM composite generated and Normal from Displacement, if there is no Normal that I can use.

Country
germany
Well that's smart. I just made my first pbr object yesterday and all works fine! Thank you!

I've never managed to get the "Standard" material glass to be as nicely reflective in MSFS as MSFS glass. Smudges and grunge and all, it looked fake. MSFS glass has no texture, but looks much more like a glass.
Edit: I did manage to add some smudge texture to MSFS GLass - the trick is that when I used Albedo and ORM texture for roughness it didn't work for me and was too dark on the smallest Alpha settings of 0.1 and the lightest layer transparency in photoshop (1%). But if I just used Albedo with a very weak smudge texture that has just the right contrast and color - it works.
I texture right inside Blender, no baking. A few smartly done 2048x1024, and 1024x1024 textures (with wear along the top and bottom edges) per building would occupy less RAM than one 4K PBR texture, or at least no more, in the worst case. And no need to bake textures, and it's sharper than a single baked texture when up close.
Interesting!

Country
italy
Hello, i have problem with glass on blender, using albedo texture for ao and dirt, applyed opacity with substance painter, but trasparent is fixed at unknow value maybe at 50%, i tryed a lot of possibility but nothing change, otherwise material standard respect the correct value but specularity is not the same thing. any suggest?

Country
russia
Hello everyone! I don't understand why leaves with an alpha channel are displayed behind the glass.
4.jpg

Thanks everyone for all these great inputs. Can anyone advise which setting can impact the effect below?

Up close - looks nice...

1623475626902.png

If i zoom out, the glass almost disappears....

1623475663713.png

Thanks!