• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

0.0.69

  • Thread starter Thread starter GHD
  • Start date Start date

GHD

Messages
12,244
Country
england
I have just had ADE close without warning immediately after double-clicking to add a two point GP line.
 
I know of no way that ADE-GP can cause ADE to close. In the absence of any ADE-GP-related error messages, I'm going to let Jon run with this one first.

Don
 
George - can I see the log? Can you also confirm that the issue arose on the double click of the last vertex point?

Don - Double click completes the line and calls the GP-Editor so the log should tell us if this happens in ADE prior to calling the editor or in the Editor when it is called.
 
Which log?

Code:
30/05/2013  19:15             2,893 Log(A).tx1
04/06/2013  09:31           147,217 Log.tx1
13/05/2013  19:45           181,939 Log.txt
02/06/2013  08:33           514,164 Log_01.tx1
30/05/2013  13:36           513,271 Log_02.tx1
24/05/2013  15:31           512,753 Log_03.tx1

The action was:

  • Select GP line.
  • Left-click
  • Double-click
  • Window closed
 
Log.tx1 - that has today's date an in any case is always the active one.
 
Log attached.

The error occured sometime after 22:00 on the 3rd of June.
 
Last edited:
Happened at 22:36.

Reported as Early Closing: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This is the final final final catch. It is actually designed to catch exceptions when ADE is loading. I have added some code to get the stack-trace. I will make another update either this evening or tomorrow.

Is this replicable?
 
Hi,

I tried to replicate George's issue but I cannot.
On the other hand and in view of the other thread about what is left to do, I have a couple of issues that may have to be addressed (if somebody else experiences it as well):
- markers and guidelines do not show up where you place them;
- when I was trying to move a square helper shape, my pointer changed into a double sided arrow and the tool tip of the square would not go away.There was no way to change it back but by closing ADE.
- when connected to FS, the pop up screen for editing does not close unless I switch the screen to FS and back to ADE.
- when you hide a (e.g. landclass) polygon, it stays hidden but when you uncheck it in the view options, it comes back the minute you click somewhere where the polygon was before.

And perhaps another thing regarding helper shapes:
- I noticed that with an arc of 360º you can make a gp line type circle but not with a circle or e.g. a triangle. would it be possible to have those options as well?

Roby
 
- markers and guidelines do not show up where you place them;

If this is what you reported before Roby then unfortunately we have not been able to replicate it

- when I was trying to move a square helper shape, my pointer changed into a double sided arrow and the tool tip of the square would not go away.There was no way to change it back but by closing ADE.

If you have the ProKey then you will get these cursors when you mouse is over a small handle - these allow you to drag resize the helper. They are not intended for precision re-sizing. I am not sure why the ADE cursor would freeze in these circumstances.

- when connected to FS, the pop up screen for editing does not close unless I switch the screen to FS and back to ADE.

Sorry but I do not understand this one Roby

- when you hide a (e.g. landclass) polygon, it stays hidden but when you uncheck it in the view options, it comes back the minute you click somewhere where the polygon was before.

I will check this - are you talking about a custom hide or hiding just with the View menu.

And perhaps another thing regarding helper shapes:
- I noticed that with an arc of 360º you can make a gp line type circle but not with a circle or e.g. a triangle. would it be possible to have those options as well?

So you want to be able to make a GP line using a closed helper shape? Presumably with the start and end vertex at the same point?
 
Hi Jon,

Re markers and guidelines: it does not happen all the time, but mostly it does and I was therefore surprised when they did show up at the right spot for once.
Re Double arrowed cursor. Yes I know that it is to resize a handle but it did not turn back to a normal cursor.
Re Pop up screen: I did not know what to call it. When connected and If you right click on a taxiway, object, gp-poly or some more things and click OK afterwards, the pop up window does not close and I have to switch to FS and back to ADE before the window closes.
Re Hide: a custom hide workd fine. It is the hide from the View menu that gives this 'anomaly'.
Re helper shape also for gp lines: yes, if possible. E.g. it is now impossible to make a circle with the circle shape. You can make a disc with it but not a circle (if you know what I mean).
In the meantime I stumbled on some more things but have to try and repeat them before I can tell you anything definite (it may be a matter of running out of memory because the longer FSX and ADE are active together, the more hiccups come up).
As for George's issue (window closes when editing gp-line), it just now happened here too and the line had gone completely.
 
Re Double arrowed cursor. Yes I know that it is to resize a handle but it did not turn back to a normal cursor.

If ADE freezes then it is usually due to running out of memory or resources. This may be made worse if a lot of other applications are running along with ADE and FSX

Re Pop up screen: I did not know what to call it. When connected and If you right click on a taxiway, object, gp-poly or some more things and click OK afterwards, the pop up window does not close and I have to switch to FS and back to ADE before the window closes.

Neither do I but I suspect you mean the context menu. I refer you to my answer above. It seems to me that ADE is either struggling with the size of the project or that there are not enough free resources for it to work.

Re Hide: a custom hide workd fine. It is the hide from the View menu that gives this 'anomaly'.

I will check this

Re helper shape also for gp lines: yes, if possible. E.g. it is now impossible to make a circle with the circle shape. You can make a disc with it but not a circle (if you know what I mean).

I will look at that Roby

In the meantime I stumbled on some more things but have to try and repeat them before I can tell you anything definite (it may be a matter of running out of memory because the longer FSX and ADE are active together, the more hiccups come up).

I think you are right but it may not be memory as much as resources. I have a laptop and I can run ADE with my development environment and FS9. I also have my web browser and outlook running. If I switch to FSX then I need to close any program that is not immediately needed. ADE does use a lot of memory especially if you have large background images.

There are also one or two stubborn memory leaks that will consume memory over the long term.
 
Hi Jon,

I have no other applications running when I work with ADE and FSX. Only those two. And no background image either. It did not happen before in 1.55.
But yes, it is a rather big project but it was the same big project in 1.55.
I only have a couple of extra gp-polys (it is not NSTU, it is GECE, to try and make some polys on the heliport. George knows what I am talking about:)).

And now for Don (but it may be related to the lack of resources or memory leak?):

This is what I get when I try to edit a line and give it another width:

rightclickeditline.jpg


This is what I get after having tried to give in the same texture again:

69clickmaintextureselec.jpg


And this is what I get when I reset, switch texture, select same texture again, rotate and drag. The vertical resize does not work.

69vertresnotrespafterdr.jpg


As you may have noticed in the second screenshot, the GP-editor window is oversized and after resizing, the next time it comes up, it has the same oversized size again.

Will continue testing a little while longer, then Tom and maybe George can take over (I want to enjoy a little bit of the last sunshine now that there is some for once and that the temperatures have become milder).
 
Hi Don,

Nothing to report, it all worked for me.

Hi Jon,

1. Markers and guides not placed where you put them.

I also see this. Zoom in close, and then add a marker. You will see that the marker is not placed at the location of your cursor, but instead somewhere nearby. It's not very far away from your cursor (usually within 2 or 3 cursor widths away at high zoom), but it is not right on it.

2. I believe Roby means that when the GP Editor is popped up after creating a line, the OK button does not cause it to disappear, unless he switches to another program and then back again.

This does not happen to me. It may be OS related - I use XP but perhaps Roby uses a different OS. Perhaps it's like having to click the white area of the Scenery Library when adding a scenery layer - you must do this for System 7 but not for earlier OS's.

3. Polygons reappearing after hiding in the View menu.

I can replicate this, but only with freshly created polygons. I used flatten polygons since I use FS9.

a. Create a polygon. The properties box comes up. Press OK.

b. Use the View menu to hide the polygon.

It will reappear either immediately, or when you click on that area.

Also, if I hide the polygons when a polygon is selected and then I click on the area of that polygon, that polygon reappears. The others remain hidden.

4. Creating a line in a perfect circle - I can do this with the arc helper shape and an arc of 360 degrees. I'm not sure we need a circle shape? A polygon shape would be helpful, though (the others can be derived from the arc and polygon shapes, if desired). Of course, premade shapes would be more convenient...

Hope this helps,
 
Roby,

How are you getting a line width value to appear with a polygon texture? When I choose that texture the Line Width value is grayed out and a number cannot be entered there.

If you *have* defined it as a line texture, then the Line Pattern/Style box should be available to define the line style?

It appears you may have a problem with your Lines_Def file?

For a horizontal line texture, the vertical resize button should *not* work - the Line Pattern/Style box controls that.

Hope this helps,
 
Hi Tom,

Everything worked for you with the gp editor? Just an idea, but might that be because you work in FS9? I will check that too.
 
Thanks Tom I will check the drawing of markers when placed by the cursor. As I understand it this does not happen when they are placed using the 'M' key in FS. So it would seem logical that it is related to the code that get the mouse position. However that would apply to all placements and not just markers.

I will check the creation of new polys. Of course ADe will display a new poly when it is created even if the view menu has them not to display. I know that in some circumstances ADE will turn View menu items back on when the user creates something but I can't recall which.

Creating a GP Line from a helper shape should be simple enough if it is of use.
 
my mistake

Good morning,

Thanks to Tom, I realized I had made the mistake of making a line with a texture that was not defined as such and that provoked the gp-editor issues I mentioned yesterday. All seems to work fine now.
A couple of remarks, though:
- when connected to FSX I still have the problem of having difficulties in closing the gp-editor window and the ADE editing window. As far as I can ascertain it is no memory or resources problem because I checked it in the task manager and nothing unusual can be seen there (processor 100% probably because of FSX, RAM at 694Mb of 2045, cached 1517, available 49). I am on Vista (43 processes, I canceled some), only FSX and ADE running.
Could it be the new UIPC? Just guessing.
- rotation of polygons and lines: it would be nice if it were possible to just give in a heading instead of having to rotate manually until the upper left number indicates the exact heading. it would make things easier. Same goes for the resize function (thanks for the double and half feature, Don but on my keyboard it is still rather difficult).
 
I realized I had made the mistake of making a line with a texture that was not defined as such and that provoked the gp-editor issues I mentioned yesterday
Roby, you should be able to use any texture with a line. Do you remember the sequence of operations that got you into that difficulty yesterday? (There was a similar problem that I discovered and fixed a couple releases back. Perhaps I didn't fix it completely. But, I don't seem to be able to duplicate your issue.)

when connected to FSX I still have the problem of having difficulties in closing the gp-editor window and the ADE editing window
Roby, this seems to be the first mention of difficulty closing the GP editor window.

rotation of polygons and lines: it would be nice if it were possible to just give in a heading instead of having to rotate manually until the upper left number indicates the exact heading. it would make things easier. Same goes for the resize function (thanks for the double and half feature, Don but on my keyboard it is still rather difficult).
As you can see, screen real estate is becoming rather scarce. Let me think about how it could be implemented with a pop-up textbox.

As you may have noticed in the second screenshot, the GP-editor window is oversized and after resizing, the next time it comes up, it has the same oversized size again.
I don't know how the GP editor could have resized itself. There's no code in the program to do that. However, once it has been resized (in whatever manner), Windows will re-open it at that size until it is resized again.

Don
 
Back
Top