• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Add Custom SimObject to ADE20 / MSFS DevMode pick-list

Country
us-illinois
Hi Dick:

I am trying to better understand how this object:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/msfs-simple-animated-hangar.268/

...can successfully be made available for placement as a SimObject to 'test' via ADE_Alpha-19 in "2-way edit mode".

I have added a COPY of the entire folder chain for your example compiled MSFS-2020 package:

[Downloads]\SimpleHangar

06/06/2021 01:19 PM <DIR> .
06/06/2021 01:19 PM <DIR> ..
06/06/2021 01:19 PM 0 files_and_folders.txt
05/28/2021 01:44 PM <DIR> PackageDefinitions
05/28/2021 01:46 PM <DIR> PackageSources
05/28/2021 01:43 PM 301 SimpleHangarProject.xml
05/28/2021 03:34 PM <DIR> sources
2 File(s) 301 bytes
5 Dir(s) 671,528,235,008 bytes free

...to my 'active' MSFS-2020 'packages' community sub-folder:

{MSFS_Packages install path]\Community

...but this object does not appear in either ADE20_Alpha-19 or MSFS SDK DevMode ...in the SimObject pick-list. o_O

If I use the manual work-around for ADE described here: :pushpin:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/adding-aircraft-from-library-alpha-17.451619/post-875753

...I apparently can cause ADE to place a "SimpleHangar" SimObject visual place-holder in the ADE workspace.

I can then apparently save and compile the ADE project, and can allow ADE to copy it to my 'active' MSFS-2020 'packages' community sub-folder:

{MSFS_Packages install path]\Community.

However, ADE throws an error message that states IIRC, 'no built package found'.

If I manually find the built package in the ADE\F20 folder chain, and copy it to my 'active' MSFS-2020 'packages' community sub-folder:

{MSFS_Packages install path]\Community

..I do not see the SimpleHangar object in its assigned placement location at run time when MSFS-2020 is re-started. :oops:

IIRC, you subsequently gave a SimObjects list to Jon that, AFAIK, was used to update ADE's 'default' SimObjects pick-list.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/adding-aircraft-from-library-alpha-17.451619/post-875794

[EDITED]

Is there an additional procedure end users must perform to add such "custom" SimObjects to ADE's and/or MSFS-2020's DevMode pick-list ? :scratchch

Thanks in advance for further clarification on how to test placement / display of this example SimObject via ADE and/or MSFS-2020 DevMode. :)

[END_EDIT]

Ask Jon in the MSFS ADE forum.

Hi Jon:

Could you provide further clarification on how to test placement / display of the above example SimObject via ADE and/or MSFS-2020 DevMode ? :scratchch

Thanks in advance. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Gary, I can butt in here after a good look at this.

Add the SimObject package to the Community folder.

The ADE_2020_Alpha_19 folder has a sub-folder named F20. Inside that folder is a text file named adeSimObjectList.dat (a good idea to backup this file here). That file is a list of SimObjects. The entry structure is pretty simple. Add the name of the new SimObject to the list (preceeded by ||). Now within ADE, open a project and you can place a SimObject. The recently added object should be in the list. Save the project, build it, add the package to the Community folder, start the sim, go to the airport, and the new SimObject should appear.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Dick. The plan is to introduce a function similar to the Library Object Manager for Sim Objects which essentially manages that text file but this is a great workaround

Country
us-illinois
Many thanks to both Dick and Jon for their replies and innovation, to enhance understanding- and implemention- ...of the MSFS-2020 SDK. :wizard:

I look forward to testing this later today. :)

GaryGB

Country
us-illinois
After testing the latter recommended work-flow, I am still NOT able to display the "SampleHangar" object at run time in MSFS-2020. o_O

I do see the SimObject available in the ADE GUI pick-list, and in ADE I am able to Place, Save, Compile, and Copy it to MSFS_packages.

I do see ADE's SimObject 'placement' in MSFS-2020 via SDK DevMode > Scenery Editor > Scenery > "SimObject SimpleHanger".

However, I do NOT see the SimObject in MSFS-2020's run time SDK DevMode > Objects pick-list under Scenery or SimObject.

In MSFS-2020 with my ADE airport loaded at run time, DevMode Menu > Options > SimObjects list shows only a user Aircraft & Pilot.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Developer_Mode/Menus/Options/SimObject_Containers.htm&rhsearch=SimObject&rhhlterm=simobject simobjects

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Developer_Mode/Menus/Options.htm

IIUC, this SampleHangar animated SimObject is technically referred to by MSFS SDK docs as a "Static" Scenery Object

"STATIC OBJECTS

Static Objects are SimObjects that do not move from their origin position, but can still have complex behaviors and animations. By default in Microsoft Flight Simulator, jetways, windsocks, and wind turbines, are all Static Objects. Those SimObjects can be used in missions, or placed as SceneryObjects using The Scenery Editor."

Should this object have also been added to ADE via LOM before ADE Placed, Saved, Compiled, and Copied it to MSFS_packages. ? :oops:

If so, would that output additional XML code that satisfies some requirement of MSFS' Virtual File System and/or XML syntax ?

Must we add this object to MSFS-2020 by another process to be 'available' via SDK DevMode > Objects pick-list(s), and to render at run time ? :scratchch

FYI: My goal is to not only test use / functionality of this object in MSFS at run time, but also to perform a test of ADE's "2-Way Edit" capability. :coffee:

Perhaps Dick could attach an example Project source & Package with "SampleHanger" SimObject placed at C59 (Lake Lawn, WI) ? :teacher:

Thanks again in advance. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Linked is a C59 airport. Generated from the stock by ADE. I then added the SimObject and edited the project XML definition to include the SimpleHangar. The rest is generated in the DevMode 2-way to add the hangar and to add a tower with the beacon. All is saved and compiled by the DevMode. Compiling will add the SimpleHangar to the Virtual File System, so you can close the project in DevMode, and then open the project in DevMode.

Test-C59.zip

Country
us-illinois
Many thanks again, Dick. :)

Initial inspection at C59 from the RWY-36 start shows that your example 'SampleHanger' SimObject is displayed and fully functioning.

[EDITED]

I was pleased to see how simple- and similar- MSFS' XML code was to FS2Kx, for adding scenery objects to the top above the 'airport' section.

I was also pleased to see that your 'SampleHanger' SimObject is 'available' via SDK DevMode > Objects pick-list(s) under both:

* Scenery

...and:

* SimObject

Also, with C59 loaded at run time:

Dev. Menu > Options 'SimObject Containers' shows "SampleHanger" SimObject name & parameters. :pushpin:

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/ht..._Containers.htm?rhsearch=Names&rhhlterm=names

"Names: When enabled, this option actually does a bit more than just display the names of the different SimObjects. In a lot of cases (like for aircraft) it will also display the position, the airport, the GUID and other information."

[END_EDIT]

I shall look forward to examining how this type of SimObject is implemented for use in MSFS-2020 in greater detail tomorrow. :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited: