Adding Objects

Hi Arno,
It would be great to have the opportunity to import objects and add them to the already loaded list of objects.

Just an idea :idea:

Regards,
Heinrich

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

That's a nice idea. I'll add it to the list. It would combine modelconverterx and library creator xml in some way.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I was thinking about adding an add and remove object option in the list objects form. Would that make sense?

Yes, absolutely, good idea.

The next step would be a tree-view in the main window, showing the object list as seen in the library creator ;-)

Regards,
Heinrich

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I prefer not to clutter the main window with too many addition views. So it will stay in an editor I think :)

The main difference between modelconverterx and library creator XML is that the last tool does not alter the mdl files. Modelconverterx does import the mdl files and when saving writes them again based on the internal representation.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

Great! When adding an FS2004 object, is there the option to use the GUID value that GMAX creates in the accompanying XML file? That would ensure that the GUID values remain as I expect them (when combining objects from different libraries, for example).

Thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Arno, when we can expect the next development release with this new feature?
It's available already. A new development release is made every night, as long as I changed some code the day before.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Great! When adding an FS2004 object, is there the option to use the GUID value that GMAX creates in the accompanying XML file? That would ensure that the GUID values remain as I expect them (when combining objects from different libraries, for example).
No, modelconverterx doesn't read the xml file. If you want to preserve the guid you would have to read the bgl file.

I don't really see the purpose of reading that xml file. This has been discussed before already. The guid is just a random guid. Just as modelconverterx assigns when you load a fs2004 mdl. So why would you need to use the one from the sample code?

If the object has been used in some library already it makes sense to keep the guid. But just after exporting from gmax I don't see it.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

I use the XML file as my "reference file" for the GUID of any given object.

Yes, I often rearrange or combine existing library BGL files. In those cases I want to keep the same GUID. But I'll just take the extra step of entering it manually, no problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
For existing libraries just import the bgl file. That will keep all the guids as they are.

Maybe i can also add a xml importer. Then you could load the xml file as the basis. That would be a better approach than let the mdl file look for the xml.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes, with this new function you can. It's probably easier to load the existing bgl library and then add the mdl (not the other way around).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If you have the mdl loaded you can insert an entire existing library bgl as well. That will merge them. And then save as bgl again.

A truly helpful function indeed :)

to extend this topic just a bit, would it be possible to view the materials from all objects in that list? That would be a neat way to spot duplicate materials across many different MDLs.