• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Adding Tow Function

Country
unitedstates
Hi all, I have been wanting to add a tow forward functionality to some of my older A2A planes that do not have the handy function build in. I park my airplanes in a actual hangar so pushing them in isn't a problem, but it is a bit unrealistic to start up inside the hangar. Initially I've setup just a general gauge with a single button with XML code.

I'm just a bit new-er to FSX and P3D development, I see a lot of other code using L:variables to accomplish more complex tow functions. I think these L:variables are local variables, but I am curious as to where they are declared and similar things like that.

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts when it comes to a tow XML gauge / app? For example, how would I "call" the built in function to "start push back". Basically How would I call the SHIFT+P button via an XML standpoint?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

You probably need to read the SDK on XML gauges, Parameters and Event IDs to get an understanding of the system.

Basically, L: variables are defined in any XML gauge that uses them. There is no separate definition code, you just use them. They are shared by all gauges and by the MDL file's custom animations, so they can be used as "messenger" between them.

To activate an FS function, you use a K: event. For example, the command equivalent to Shift-P is (>K:TOGGLE_PUSHBACK).

I don't know about tow code, though.

Country
us-florida
If you want to do the action that the Shift+3 window's tow button in the A2A Comanche and Skylane does, which is using the L:VAR (L:Variable) "L:TOW", you can assign this L:VAR to a button using FSUIPC or Spad.neXt. I do not know how to do this is FSUIPC, but this is how to do it in Spad.neXt.

1. Go to the controls tab in Spad.neXt
2. Chose the control/panel that you would like your button to be assigned to
3. Select the button that you would like the tow function to be assigned to
4. Click "Add Event"
5. Click "Button Pressed"
6. Click "Add Action"
7. Click "Change Data Value"
8. Find the L:VAR "L:TOW" in the list and select it
9. Save everything

Note that you need to do this with the sim running and a flight in the sim started and be using one of the A2A planes with the tow function already implemented into the shift+3 window to do this. After you have done this it seems to work with all A2A aircraft. Other aircraft it does not seem to work.

Glad to help,
Caleb

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Have a look at my Groundhandling V6 package, available o.a. at SimOuthouse and AVSIM as file rcbgh-60.zip.

It includes a Taxispeed gauge, which acts as Tow function when all engines are Off.
Works for any aircraft, and any FSX/P3D version ...

Rob

Country
us-florida
Have a look at my Groundhandling V6 package, available o.a. at SimOuthouse and AVSIM as file rcbgh-60.zip.

It includes a Taxispeed gauge, which acts as Tow function when all engines are Off.
Works for any aircraft, and any FSX/P3D version ...

Rob

I will have a look at that. It sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

Caleb

Country
unitedstates
Thank you everyone for the replies! Eventually I will get back to this when I am more free and have a hand at creating something :)