• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

AF2 File Opens Correctly but will not Compile Correctly for FS9

Country
unitedstates
I have an add-on AF2 file for KPIT. The parking list is a mess and has a couple of other issues. I opened the file in ADE 1.78 pro with no issues. The original file size is 124KB. I can make the changes and save the file, but when I try to compile the airport, it only comes out at 1kb, and is not recognized in FS9. There is no internal compiling error showing up, it is just not compiling the actual data that is in the original file. Just as an FYI, there is no scenery in this file, it is just the barebones airport surfaces, runways, and such. I have never seen this issue before. I am attaching the original AF2 file and my ADE project for inspection.
Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
Jeff

Attachments

• KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4
    191 KB · Views: 70
  • AF2_KPIT.bgl
    123.2 KB · Views: 64
Country
unitedkingdom
Please tell us where the AF2 file came from and were there any other files with it?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Jeff:

I agree with the need for a line of inquiry Ray proposes above to determine the "digital heritage" of the AF2 format AFCAD (as to how it was coded).

It is possible as well, that the scenery you expected to be inherited / output for FS9, requires separate conversion to legacy FS9 airport BGLComp XML.

In the event that the AF2 format AFCAD was derived from SCASM code, did you convert the AF2 airport code format before ADE FS9 BGL compilation ?

Did you review this file in the ADE 1.78 download package ? https://www.scruffyducksoftware.com/downloads

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kjpcq5hstfqlic4/ADE_178_Production.zip/file > ADE_178_Production.zip > ADE_178_Release_Notes.pdf > Page 3 of 12

"Convert bgl files created using sca compilers into FS9 or later format bgl files. Tools > Convert Bgl File

Basic conversion tool."

1650030911132.png

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the questions and the input.

Ray, the file is from a freeware file set called KPIT2008 and the updated file called KPIT2019. It contained all the other typical airport scenery in other Bgl files. The airport works fine but has a few issues I would like to correct. As an example, all of the parking files are out of order. Additionally, Runway 28C-10C are closed. If you look in the ADE file I saved, you can see I fixed these issues.

Gary, as to your question, I did read this, but as I said in the initial post, I do not get a compiling error. It just doesn't compile the data that is present in the ADE file. I can try running the "Basic Conversion Tool" to see if that helps.

Thanks to both of you for all your help and efforts,
Jeff

Country
unitedstates
Hi Guys,
One other thing. I am running the latest version of ADE - 178 and have the Pro Key licensed and installed.
Thanks again for everything.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Jeff (...and Scruffyduck et al ):

This is what I see if I attempt to open either a BGL or XML file derived from a ADE_1.78 compile of KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 attached above:

ade_178_kpit_2019_jge_bgl_error-jpg.81333

Note that I did not take the time to fix the Open and Orphan Links reported by ADE_1.78 Fault Finder before compiling the above *.ad4.

A (very) quick inspection of the XML file generated by compilation of KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 shows BGLComp XML airport data for KPIT.

PS: I also noticed in passing, that there was a large number of Taxi Links in the Project Tree of the *.AD4 project when loaded in ADE.

GaryGB

Attachments

• ADE_178_KPIT_2019_JGE_BGL_ERROR.jpg
    ADE_178_KPIT_2019_JGE_BGL_ERROR.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Hi Everyone,
I am sure that the orphan links are to create roads around the airport for effect. I am attaching the entire zip file for the scenery for inspection.

Gary, thanks for all your personal efforts. Not sure why it doesn't show an airport for you, but in my version of ADE178 it opens as an airport and that is how I created the ADE project file that I uploaded. Also, if you go to the airport information screen it shows all the relevant data.

Thanks again for everyone's' help.
Jeff

Attachments

• kpit_2019_edition.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 69
Country
us-illinois
I have an add-on AF2 file for KPIT. The parking list is a mess and has a couple of other issues. I opened the file in ADE 1.78 pro with no issues. The original file size is 124KB. I can make the changes and save the file, but when I try to compile the airport, it only comes out at 1kb, and is not recognized in FS9. There is no internal compiling error showing up, it is just not compiling the actual data that is in the original file. Just as an FYI, there is no scenery in this file, it is just the barebones airport surfaces, runways, and such. I have never seen this issue before. I am attaching the original AF2 file and my ADE project for inspection.
Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
Jeff
Hi Jeff (...and Scruffyduck et al ):

This is what I see if I attempt to open either a BGL or XML file derived from a ADE_1.78 compile of KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 attached above:

Note that I did not take the time to fix the Open and Orphan Links reported by ADE_1.78 Fault Finder before compiling the above *.ad4.

A (very) quick inspection of the XML file generated by compilation of KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 shows BGLComp XML airport data for KPIT.

GaryGB
Hi Everyone,
I am sure that the orphan links are to create roads around the airport for effect. I am attaching the entire zip file for the scenery for inspection.

Gary, thanks for all your personal efforts. Not sure why it doesn't show an airport for you, but in my version of ADE178 it opens as an airport and that is how I created the ADE project file that I uploaded. Also, if you go to the airport information screen it shows all the relevant data.

Thanks again for everyone's' help.
Jeff

Hi Jeff:

Just to clarify, I am referring to a process in ADE_1.78, in which:

* I open your KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 project attached above in FS9 mode.

Your KPIT airport project then shows normally within the ADE GUI.

Then, I promptly compile your KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 project into a BGL and XML file ...from within the ADE GUI (output in FS9 mode).

The ADE_1.78 compile output result is:

* KPIT_ADE9_JGE.bgl = 1 Kb

* KPIT_ADE9_JGE.xml = 787 Kb

Next, in ADE_1.78 (still in FS9 mode), if I attempt to:

* Open airport from BGL (using: KPIT_ADE9_JGE.bgl)

...or

* Open airport from XML (using: KPIT_ADE9_JGE.xml)

...which are the files just output by ADE_1.78 during a compile of your KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 project attached above, I get this response:

Have you tried using the latest development version ADE_1.79x ?

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/development-version-1-79-7475-available.448076/

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i6xk38ghqjomykp/ade_current_dev.zip/file

AFAIK, your ProKey may no longer be required for FS versions of ADE prior to MSFS-2020:

If I instead use ADE_1.79x:

* I open your KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 project attached above in FS9 mode.

Your KPIT airport project then shows normally within the ADE GUI.

Then, I attempt to compile your KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4 project into a BGL and XML file ...from within the ADE GUI (output in FS9 mode).

When I attempt to compile, I get this response from ADE:

Code:
Compiler Errors Found. These were not identified by the Issue Manager. Please let us know

what the compiler error is so that we can improve the Issue Manager.

The compiler message is shown below

ScruffyDuck Scenery Design Engine Compiling

Using BglComp....

Parsing document: D:\Airport Design Editor 179\!AdeTempWorkOnly\KPIT_ADE9_JGE.xml

FATAL ERROR:  Airport Output buffer OVERFLOW

Parse complete!

Until Scruffyduck has time to reply, you may wish to view some of these Google search result links to FSDeveloper:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com++Airport+Output+buffer+OVERFLOW&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=tAFaYq3MMNa5tQbo66agAQ&ved=0ahUKEwit9qOknpf3AhXWXM0KHei1CRQQ4dUDCA0&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com++Airport+Output+buffer+OVERFLOW&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAw6CAgAEIAEELEDOgQIABBDOgsILhCABBDHARCjAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6DgguEIAEELEDEMcBENEDOgUIABCABDoOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQowI6CAguEIAEELEDOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARCvAToECC4QQzoFCC4QgAQ6BwguENQCEEM6CgguEMcBENEDEEM6BwgAELEDEEM6BQgAELEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoRCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQ0QMQ1AI6DgguEIAEEMcBEK8BENQCOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToHCAAQgAQQCjoFCCEQqwJKBAhBGABKBAhGGABQAFj2pgFg87UBaABwAHgAgAG-AYgB8gaSAQM4LjKYAQCgAQGgAQLAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Of initial note is these threads:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bglcomp-buffer-overflow.16569/

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-overflow-c2470-error.445576/

...which raise questions regarding how many Taxi Links / other airport infrastructure ADE c/o FS2004 BGLComp.XSD ...may tolerate.

In ADE_1.79x with your project file loaded: KPIT_ADE9_JGE.ad4

Navigate - ADE_1.79x Menu > Lists > Project Tree:

kpit_ade9_jge_ad4_ade1_79x_project_tree-jpg.81339

Perhaps ( 796 ) Taxi Links (or other airport infrastructure Airport Facilities Data (aka "AFD") ...exceeds a limit in FS9 BGLComp ?

NOTE: I have not reviewed your ADE project in any further detail, but as it is derived from AFCAD files, perhaps there may be other issues.

Here is another thread in which Jim Vile cautions against deriving ADE projects for FS9 directly from AFCAD code:

GaryGB

Attachments

• KPIT_ADE9_JGE_ad4_ADE1_79x_Project_Tree.jpg
    KPIT_ADE9_JGE_ad4_ADE1_79x_Project_Tree.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have not yet upgraded/tried ADE1.79. I saw the same issue with the size of the output file but never thought to try and open it.

As an additional follow-up, I forgot that I had AFX from Flight One. I tried opening it in there and making the changes, and then was able to save it. It worked in there. I never use that program anymore since Scruffy's program is so much better.

Thanks again for all your help and support,
Jeff

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I just used 1.76 loading your AF2 BGL file and it compiled just fine. The resulting file is 128K and loads back into ADE fine. If I try compiling your AD4 file the BGLComp crashes.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I found out the AD4 file would compile if you deleted some aprons. The taxi link number is well below some of my airports, but there is a limit to the number of apron and taxi link vertices combined. Thus the number of total vertices would need to be reduced to compile with ADE. As you have seen AFX and AFCAD use their own compilers without these limitations.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your input. I did not create these files, and the extra aprons, I believe, were created to make vehicle roadways. Also, I do not have ADE 1.76, just 1.78 to avoid confusion on my part. I will try 1.79 as Gary suggests for future projects. It was just odd from my perspective because I have even used ADE to modify High-end Payware to fix errors.

Could you tell me what the limitations on apron and taxi links are in ADE? I am just curious.

Thanks again for all your help and support,
Jeff

Country
us-illinois
Indeed, during the Instant Scenery Beta program, Konstantin Kukushkin may have mentioned he used a proprietary (but FS2004 BGLComp-compatible) XML compiler DLL for both FS9 / FSX.

When I was developing for FS9, I never had an occasion to try the ADE "Complex Split" Scruffyduck refers to here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-overflow-c2470-error.445576/post-824323

Perhaps that ADE option might work only with a certain amount of scenery content "overflow" relative to the FS2004 BGLComp.XSD criteria ? :idea:

GaryGB

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It's not ADE limitations it is the MS Bgl Compiler limitations. Unlike ADCAD and AFX, ADE uses only the compilers provided by the MS SDKs

Splitting options which are only available for FS9 airport projects are intended as a way around the compiler limitations

ADE does report the number of aprons and assigned parking (two of the limitations)

1650261695147.png

If the project breaks the limits then those indicators in the bottom information display should turn read. You may get other warnings in the same area if ADE find issues that may stop a compile

1650261835581.png

The green button to the left is the issue manager which gives the warnings.

Not all issues may be found and clear indicators are not a guarantee the project will compile

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Jon, there is another limitation that you do not detect, and that is the total number of vertices (apron and taxiway vertices) at the airport. I haven't tried a split compile at this airport to see if that solves this problem.

Country
germany
Today I ran in an APRON limit (FS2004), ADE9 compiled with no errorr, but the size of the BGL was only about 40 percent.
So I went the "Complex Split" way and alle looks fine.

Country
germany
Today I ran in another Buffer Overflow even with "Complex Split" by 88 Aprons an lot of vertices.

I will try to save to 2 ADE9 .ad4 files and delete one half of the Aprons in one ad4 and one half in the other ad4.
Two "Complex Splits" and a merge of the resulting BGLs should do it? (I hope so).