• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Aprons order problem

Country
belgium
Hello,

I'm actually creating a airport with differents aprons.

Apron is in Asphalt. First, no problem.

On this apron, there are some square in Concrete.

So, after drawing the Asphalt Apron, I draw the Concrete square above. But in ADE, when it's done, I don't se de concrete above asphalt.
When a open the file in AFX, all is correct.
When a launch FS2004 to see the result, I don't see my Concrete square. It appear to be under the Asphalt.

How can I put the Concrete square above the Asphalt apron (I repeat, I draw the concrete square after the Asphalt apron) ?

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Asphalt is always on top of the concrete,there is manual somewhere on this site,but i can't find so quick.:eek:
You can make a big concrete and on top the asphalt,but you must make holes in the asphalt.
Or you can use the Ground Poly editor,inside ADEX,the GP is always on top.

Jan

Last edited:
Foufure,

Try it like MS does, draw the Asphalt apron in 2 halves creating the hole for your concrete apron
you can do this on any angle, this is how i do those concrete slabs,
To create multiple slabs draw the asphalt halves like teeth with gaps in them, then you have the gaps for the concrete when placed together

In FS9 at least you can use Macadam (which surprisingly looks a lot like concrete) on top of asphalt.

Nothing against the manual, it is great.

An easy way to see apron material priority is the dropdown box in ADE.

The materials are listed in the reverse order of priority.

Any material in the list will cover those above it in the list.

It almost seems like the order should be reversed.....

cheers,
Lane

'A picture is worth a thousand words' - well, following that wise saying here are four thousand words for you:

apron_layers_01.jpg the concrete layer marked
apron_layers_02.jpg the main asphalt layer marked
apron_layers_03.jpg the additional asphalt layer marked
apron_layers_04.jpg how it looks in FSX ...

(I chose the early morning for the screenshot because I like the odd shadows of the AI aircraft :) )

ADE offers perfect tools for this kind of work: Click on each vertex for instance of the asphalt layer, then right click and select 'Copy Coords'. Now click on the corresponding (adjacent) vertex of the concrete layer, right click and select 'Paste Coords'. This will result in an apron of different layers fitting seamlessly together.

Best wishes for the holidays everybody!

That is a great tip HF.

However, there is no need to be so finicky with the vertices of the concrete poly. You could eliminate a few vertices and just make the concrete poly bigger than the "hole" in the asphalt polys. FSX will display it correctly.

cheers,
Lane

You' re right, Lane. Maybe I' m a stickler - but I wanted to promote a very nice feature in ADE as well.

Nothing against the manual, it is great.

An easy way to see apron material priority is the dropdown box in ADE.

The materials are listed in the reverse order of priority.

Any material in the list will cover those above it in the list.

It almost seems like the order should be reversed.....

cheers,
Lane

They are currently listed based on the Identifier used in FS however the list order could be altered perhaps Also ADE forces them to be drawn in the order they will display in FS and you can't change that (at least I hope not)

They are currently listed based on the Identifier used in FS however the list order could be altered perhaps.
The list matches the draw order, from top to bottom.

Concrete gets drawn first, then asphalt, so the asphalt will display over the concrete if the aprons overlap.

This is fine.

For those of us who like things more "visual", flipping the order so concrete is on the bottom would be a visual reminder that asphalt aprons display over concrete aprons.

Either way works and neither is wrong. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Also ADE forces them to be drawn in the order they will display in FS and you can't change that (at least I hope not)
Me too.

cheers,
Lane

snip------------------------

For those of us who like things more "visual", flipping the order so concrete is on the bottom would be a visual reminder that asphalt aprons display over concrete aprons.
Lane

That list where Tarmac is listed 1st (ranked 1st), Asphalt listed after Tarmac but before Concrete (ranked 13th) and Concrete is listed last (ranked 16th) is in the ADE manual.

Section 14.4.2.3 Table shows the way all Runways and Aprons are drawn in both FS9 and FSX by a Rank value from top to bottom (with footnotes). Thank You Helli ;) :)

In this case the ADE manual is the most accurate in the way textures overlay since the description surface listing for both Runways and Aprons is not 100 percent correct when using ADE (in either direction up or down).

Setting the description surface list order in ADE to match the ADE Manual Runway/Apron table is on Jon's list.

Do not confuse any of this with the way ADE draws Runways and Aprons on the Grid per a Layer code that we can change.

Note to Helli (perhaps) re Manual mis-numbering of Section 14.4.2.3 (see Jim's comments above) -

see page 281 - sections 14.14.1 and 14.14.2
see page 282 - sections 14.4.2.1 and 14.4.2.2
see page 283 - sections 14.4.2.3
see page 284 - sections 14.4.2.4 and 14.14.3
etc.

Hello Ray

I do not check this forum on a regular basis (I know I should :()
However I check occasionally for comments about the Manual.
That's how I found your posting today.

Your observation is absolutely correct.
Thank you very much for it. It is tricky to spot the fault - so may fours and fourteens around.
I have put it in my list for collecting all errors to be used for the next version of the Manual

Hut.gif
Helli

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/aprons-order-problem.435906/#post-730916

That list where Tarmac is listed 1st (ranked 1st), Asphalt listed after Tarmac but before Concrete (ranked 13th) and Concrete is listed last (ranked 16th) is in the ADE manual.

Section 14.4.2.3 Table shows the way all Runways and Aprons are drawn in both FS9 and FSX by a Rank value from top to bottom (with footnotes). Thank You Helli ;) :)

In this case the ADE manual is the most accurate in the way textures overlay since the description surface listing for both Runways and Aprons is not 100 percent correct when using ADE (in either direction up or down).

Setting the description surface list order in ADE to match the ADE Manual Runway/Apron table is on Jon's list.

Do not confuse any of this with the way ADE draws Runways and Aprons on the Grid per a Layer code that we can change.

Hi Jim:

I just read this thread, and after looking at the 'current' ADE Manual which IIUC is still being revised (with many thanks to Helli ! :wave:), I wanted to better understand what you were referring to by "Grid" as stated in the context above: :scratchch

* The FS run time QMID terrain grid on which all scenery content is placed and rendered

...or:

* The "arbitrary" grid that ADE creates within its own workplace for use with its own implementation of "drawing layers"

Thanks for any further clarification you might offer on the above statement. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
The ADE grid is an arbritary set of horizontal and vertical lines. The user can specify the spacing between those lines. Consider them to be the sort of grid that is sometimes used to mark out the ground for construction work or perhaps crime detection ;)

It has absolutely nothing to do with drawing layers. If the grid represents and is placed on the horizontal surface or ground of an airport the drawing layers are the vertical axis. Again in ADE this is not necessarily a representation of reality but is designed to allow the user to re-order the objects on a flat canvas to make it easier to place them. In some cases such as aprons the ability of the user to re-order them is restricted so that it does represent what is shown in FS. However if you have a ProKey then you can set it to ignore any drawing layer constraints and be free to order object on the display as you wish for ease of design. In the end it is not safe to assume that ADE will accurately represent what gets drawn in what vertical (Z) order by the Sim graphics engine

Back