• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

BGLComp Will No Longer Compile - MSXML 4 Bad Install

Country
us-northcarolina
Of course, you are right. I had been up 24 hours when creating my last post and I only checked System32. However MSXML4 SP2 is installed under Wowsys32. The product version is 4.20.98.76.0.

I am running Win7- 64bit.

Excellent. One more question: Do you have any MSXML (no number) files in System32? And to be redundant, please confirm one more time that there are no MSXML 4s in System32. Thanx.

Country
us-northcarolina
Excellent. One more question: Do you have any MSXML (no number) files in System32? And to be redundant, please confirm one more time that there are no MSXML 4s in System32. Thanx.
1. No
2. Correct

A picture is worth a thousand words so there are my 2 folders:
async

Ignore the MSXML6 that was installed by Visual Studio, nothing to do with FS.

Assuming what I know is correct MSXML4 is not natively 64 bit or it would be stored in System32 (which actually should be named System64).

If you want to learn more about sysWOW64: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/gauravseth/archive/2006/04/26/583963.aspx

I also searched my registry. I found this registration 11 times for MSXML4. First I thought it was me that messed up while installing it. But I found MSXML5 & 6 registered about the same number of times.

async

A few thoughts of mine:
  1. U.A.C to me is just an annoyance, I turned it off.
  2. I would never trust any registry cleaner. If you read around forums you'll see they are more of a nightmare than help.
  3. For control of your applications do not install them under Program Files, keeping in mind that it might not be %100 beneficial since you are not under MS wing anymore.
  4. Did you think about trying a System Restore from before the incident?

I'll keep throwing at you any idea that comes to my mind. Often that's how I get put on the track to a solution.

Thank you for that. 32 and 64 look just like mine, except that I also have msxml.dll, msxmlr.dll and msxml3a.dll inside SysWOW64. Those three are used by an application unrelated to simulation. Anyway, MSXML 3 and 6 ship with W7-64, I believe.

I'll look at the registry again to see if it matches yours vis-a-vis MSXML 4.

I already did all of the things you suggested at the end. UAC should not interfere with this. Either way, it did not work, so never mind that.

Keep tossing ideas as they come, but read the thread closely so that suggestions are not repeated.

I'll try a few more things now. I'll come back later today.

Cheers.

Country
us-northcarolina
Just a thought then...if the restore worked properly (which is not a given) then it would suggest that the issue doesn't reside in the MSXML4 installation but rather in some other place than the system itself...doesn't it?

Country
us-northcarolina
Very basic and you might laugh but did you check if you have the file "bglcomp.xsd" in the same folder as the bglcomp.exe?

Better yet, why not re installing them both. Another app. might have overwritten them.

The restores went fine...

The issue is not elsewhere on the system, Patrick. Everything, and I mean everything on this computer, is working perfectly, including other non-sim programs that require MSXML 4.

I tested those programs just a little while ago and they are AOK. If MSXML 4 was really having problems, then one could safely assume that those other programs would not work.

The only issue on this machine is that BGLComp will no longer compile XMLs. This happened after a fluke install of the MS ATC Voicepack SDK. Why? I have no idea. Maybe the Pentagon should re-open Project Blue Book.

Regarding the xsd, one of my posts already mentions that all instances of bglcomp.exe have that file. Let's not digress.

I'm not an expert on the registry but I checked it and MSXML 4 appears to be registered. I have the same entry you posted, and about the same number of times.

I'm out for a while because I need to keep trying other things. Regards.

Country
us-northcarolina
The issue is not elsewhere on the system, Patrick. Everything, and I mean everything on this computer, is working perfectly, including other non-sim programs that require MSXML 4.

I tested those programs just a little while ago and they are AOK. If MSXML 4 was really having problems, then one could safely assume that those other programs would not work.

The issue probably IS elsewhere. You are saying it yourself, MSXML4 is working fine with other applications.

Thank you for your help, Patrick. If it proves to be elsewhere, I will post the answer here. I believe it's an issue of bglcomp.exe via-a-vis MSXML 4.

I spoke too soon. I missed one program that also uses MSXML 4. The program refused to run outright. It simply popped a box that said "MSXML 4.0 is not installed correctly". That's a paraphrase.

So v4 is still messed up and that's why I can't compile. I don't know what's wrong though. The correct files are in the correct place, the files appear to be registered and the installer shows up on add-remove. This just doesn't make sense.

I'll check posts by other users, but I'm going to step back for a while until I have it fixed or until it's totally necessary to respond to some advise.

Solved

I was correct all along. It was the registry. Here's what went wrong and how I solved it:

* Upon installation, the ATC Voicepack SDK from Microsoft altered certain values in the registry pertaining to MSXML 4.0. It also added (or copied) two MSXML files to System32. The reason for these changes remains unknown. Ditto regarding its mechanism. Such a scenario is probably extremely rare.

* The above was the reason why BGLComp believed that the MSXML 4.0 installation was either non-existent or faulty, thus producing an identical error in all programs that use bglcomp.exe -- ADE, ExcBuilder and Rwy12.

* The situation with the registry was such that un-installing MSXML 4.0 was not changing anything inside the SysWOW64 folder or properly changing things in the registry, even though add-remove showed that the program had been "un-installed" (i.e. the entry in add-remove goes away). The opposite (i.e. installation) produced the same results.

* With your helpful posting of screenshots of the contents of your System32 and SysWOW64 folders, I was able to determine what should actually be inside those folders vis-a-vis MSXML 4.0.

* Things looked exactly like yours after I deleted the mysteriously added files in System32. However, nothing was working because the un-installs/re-installs were not changing anything inside SysWOW64.

* Although everything seemed normal (albeit MSXML 4.0 not allowing BGLComp to compile), I decided that the problem must be the registry, so I fired up every program that used MSXML 4.0 until I found one that malfunctioned. That malfunction said that "MSXML 4.0 was not properly installed".

* I went for broke and screwed up the registry on purpose by physically removing msxml4.dll and msxml4r.dll from the SysWOW64 folder without unregistering them and placed them on the desktop.

* I ran Uniblue's RegistryBooster in order to find the errors I had just created by taking the step above. It found 17 system errors that it did not pick up before. All of the errors involved MSXML 4.0. I had the program fix those errors and rebooted.

* After the computer rebooted, I went to Command Prompt and unregistered the two DLLs that now resided on my desktop. After that, I threw them out.

* I rebooted again and reinstalled MSXML 4.0 SP3 (the one without the SDK; it's not needed) and the SP3 KB update.

* This time, the install did make changes to the SysWOW64 folder (i.e. the files were placed there) and correctly wrote to the registry.

* I fired up the program that had earlier told me that "MSXML 4.0 was not properly installed" and it did not pop up that message again. The program worked perfectly.

* I went to ADE and it's now compiling. Ditto regarding ExcBuilder and Rwy12. BGLComp.exe is also working if I drag an XML file on top of it.

Thank you all for your help. It provided considerable assistance in guiding my train of thought. Cheers all.

Country
us-northcarolina
Very glad to hear about the happy ending of your painful day.

Very often people that post and contribute to hints, tips, ideas do not fix the issue per se but bring up the tiny missing piece that puts us on the right track.

I wish it had been a day, dude... Try six!

And you're totally right about those tiny hints. Without them, one may never find the answer. I wish that one or two folks at FlightSim had not been so dismissive of me and what I was saying. It's especially annoying if some don't even understand what I'm talking about... :rolleyes:

Country
newzealand
I wish it had been a day, dude... Try six!

And you're totally right about those tiny hints. Without them, one may never find the answer. I wish that one or two folks at FlightSim had not been so dismissive of me and what I was saying. It's especially annoying if some don't even understand what I'm talking about... :rolleyes:

Well!! That's wonderful news, Kudos to you for sticking with it, you are to be commended for your perseverance and to those that jumped in to help............
I and many others here will be so glad you have stuck with it to find the problem,
I'm sure you will sleep a lot easier now................

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Very good to hear you have it fixed. Also will be a help in future because we do sometimes get reports of this error and the user appears to have a correct installation for MSXML 4. We suspect registry errors at that point but it is not always possible to get further.

You're right, Jon. Sometimes folks have issues with MSXML 4.0 not working correctly, yet it seems to be installed and all the rest. The procedure I used might help out in certain cases. The attachments that all of us posted might help as well. Thanx.