• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender: animation question

Country
us-washington
Hi. I've used FSDS for years, but decided to try Blender recently. Everything is going well (I like it a lot) but I'm stuck at getting animations along an oblique angle to work, like the aileron in the screenshot. In FSDS I could easy move the axis to the desired spot along the forward edge, and use shift-lmb in rotate mode to rotate the axis only, to match the angle of that edge, with predictable and acceptable animation results. Do I need to be looking at using Blender "constraints" and/or "armatures" to make this work, or is there a simpler solution? I've done various searches on this to no avail. Thanks for any help!

aileron.jpg

Country
us-washington
I'm hoping the solution is in this video I just located by kpgamemods:
, in which case I'll have found the answer myself! Let's hope!

Ronald

Resource contributor
Inside Blender there various way to doing this: (using an Empty as rotation-object)
1 - Position the 3D cursor in the middle of EDGE where the control surface touches the rest of the wing.
2 - Press [Shift-A] and Insert an "Empty -> Plain Axis type" over there.
3 - Align one of the Empty's axis, parallel to the edge where the control surface meets the wing.
3 - Select Control-Surface and Select the Empty
4 - Press [Ctrl-P] to Parent them (with the Empty becoming the parent of the control-surface).
5 - Select the Empty
6 - Go to the Empy, [Object Tab],[Transformation Lock]
7 - Then limit/lock
7A - rotation along the other 2-axis (which are not parallel with the edge where the control-surface meets the wing).
7B - Movement along the X,Y,Z axis
7C - Scale along the X,Y,Z axis
>> This causes the Empty to become totally LOCKED in 3D space.

8 - Now, when you select and rotate the Empty on its place, the control-surface rotates accordingly :)

Another way (to create rotating control-surcafes) is shows by the famous Krispy1001 in this video:
-

Country
us-washington
Thanks, Ronald. I'll give this a try and report back.

Works perfect! Thanks so much. :)

Last edited:

Ronald

Resource contributor
Keep those screenshots (and Blender-questsions) coming BigglesWorth!