• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Blender to MSFS Exporter on day one?

Country
us-california
Thanks so much for this. I'm still just learning Blender but looking forward to getting in on all the fun.

Country
italy
Mille Grazie, for your contribution and long life to this new endeavor for the new platform.
More then 3-4 years ago we felt sad to see our passion with no bright feature on the horizon!
But now we are in a full swing to see our world with this new photorealistic dimension.
People like You, Arno, Jon, and others are really the base to build the feature of flight simulation.
Thank you

Country
germany
First of all, thank you for your efforts and your contributions to the community, you´re doing fantastic work. Second, maybe I´m just too dumb to find it, but where can I download the Blender2MSFS toolset?

Cheers,

Fabian

Country
sweden
Superb work!

One question, is it possible to open MSFS glTF files in blender using this plugin, or is it export only?
(I intend to bake uv-layout/lines for available airplane textures to make livery-creation templates)

Country
belgium
I have been fiddling around with the ingame editor and Blender.
But how do I get the .bin, .gltf and .xml file (thus the object I created) in the game?

I can't find any info in the documentation on this.

edit: I found this video on the forum.
Appologies, my google search only gave info on how to do it in FSX and X-Plane.

Last edited:
Country
germany
OK, I downloaded the toolkit and I thought I´d give it a try, but then I realized I don´t know jack about all the different options and how to use them and apply the textures. The P3D toolkit had two types of materials, the MSFS has 15! What are all of those used for? Is there any documentation? I thought I´d try the MSFS Standard Material first but even this single material leaves me clueless how to got about applying the textures to my model. Of course I know what albedo, normal, metallic and emmisive maps are, but what does the blend mask node do, and what do I need the detail_albedo, detail_normal and so on for? What does the gTIF settings node do? I don´t even know where to start, is there a tutorial on how to set up the different nodes?

Sorry for my ignorance, but this is way more complicated than the P3D toolkit was. Any help is appreaciated!
Thanks and cheers,

Fabian

Country
spain
Hi, thanks for the plugin.

FS gives me this error when I try to import the model:

glTFLister | Failed to load model: 'C:\Users\JMGA\Documents\MyFSProjects\Project\PackageSources\modelLib\Model\Model.gltf'.
ModelLibLister | Failed to spawn the gltfLister for input file C:\Users\JMGA\Documents\MyFSProjects\Project\PackageSources\modelLib\

The model was a OBJ converted to GLTF with gltfpack: https://github.com/zeux/meshoptimizer/blob/master/gltf, then imported into Blender and then exported with Blender2MSFS toolkit.

Any option I could try?

Country
england
Thank you.
How ever i need a little help.
I have created a small cube. Added a MSFS material and tried to export it.
But it work export i can get an xml file but thats it.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi, thanks for the plugin.

FS gives me this error when I try to import the model:

glTFLister | Failed to load model: 'C:\Users\JMGA\Documents\MyFSProjects\Project\PackageSources\modelLib\Model\Model.gltf'.
ModelLibLister | Failed to spawn the gltfLister for input file C:\Users\JMGA\Documents\MyFSProjects\Project\PackageSources\modelLib\

The model was a OBJ converted to GLTF with gltfpack: https://github.com/zeux/meshoptimizer/blob/master/gltf, then imported into Blender and then exported with Blender2MSFS toolkit.

Any option I could try?

I've been importing the OBJ file straight into Blender, saving it as a .blend and then exporting it to MSFS. I've issues with textures sometimes, but that's down to me and not the tool.

Country
newzealand
Are the capabilities in this plugin also available through the Blender Python API? What I'm hoping to do is
a) batch import collada/.dae
b) batch update/assign their materials to the MS2020 albedo slot
c) batch export

This can then be combined with a python script translating the KML which records the spatial information of each model into the required XML format for compiling.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hi Tim,
That's a good question and I don't have a single clue. Do you know what needs to be done to expose the functions to other python scripts?

Country
newzealand
Hi Tim,
That's a good question and I don't have a single clue. Do you know what needs to be done to expose the functions to other python scripts?
I don't know...It may be exposed by default but I don't know enough about either your addon or the blender data model. However, if you look at some of the sample scripts in the scripting window > Templates menu > Python > 'Operator Node' or 'Custom Node' it may give some clues.
Batch importing is possible.
Batch exporting is possible

Just unsure how the MS2020 materials are exposed.
I can set the material of the imported object to msfs_standard via 'bpy.context.object.active_material.msfs_material_mode = 'msfs_standard''
I can't quite figure out how to then assign textures to the slots (albedo etc)

Last edited:
Country
germany
Hello Guys

I hope I am in the right thread here.
After installing the MSFSToolset I see a attention symbol and an error message.

The export to MSFS-glTF does not work, although the material editor and exporter are available and settings are possible (see pictures).
I have the same problem with two computers.
Do you have an idea what is going wrong here?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings
Peter

Attachments

• Blender Add-on MSFSToolkit 0.36.jpg
    Blender Add-on MSFSToolkit 0.36.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 203
  • Blender glTF Export Error.jpg
    Blender glTF Export Error.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Try with Blender 2.83.x ... minimum version required as it is mentionned in the wiki :
This Blender addon allows you to create 3D assets for Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). The addon is designed for Blender 2.83, and above.
I use it with 2.83.5 and 2.90 without troubles.