Build 2624 Time Based Approach Leg Problem

I think I found a bug:

when I open XML file containing approach with time-based hold leg (HM/HF/HA), then TestApp.exe displays LegBasis as DISTANCE rather than TIME. This is not an issue when opening BGL files.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I think I found a bug:

when I open XML file containing approach with time-based hold leg (HM/HF/HA), then TestApp.exe displays LegBasis as DISTANCE rather than TIME. This is not an issue when opening BGL files.
Can you give me an example file that this is in please?

I think I found a bug:

Paavo

This was coded by Jon as per recommendations that distance or time can be used in all leg types.

Most approach charts will list the hold as a distance value instead of time.

I agree that it is inconsistent between a XMl and a bgl. I am wondering if Jon could had another field in settings for Time or Distance with the HA/HM/HF

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Paavo

This was coded by Jon as per recommendations that distance or time can be used in all leg types.

Most approach charts will list the hold as a distance value instead of time.

I agree that it is inconsistent between a XMl and a bgl. I am wondering if Jon could had another field in settings for Time or Distance with the HA/HM/HF
I will take a look at it :)

Paavo

I ask Jon to use the default of distance rather then time for holding patterns.

There is some logic to my madness in this area.

FS uses the default of 1 minute in time but when the holding pattern is drawn in the GPS receiver it appears that FS used a speed in excess of 300 mph because 1 minute equals a leg length of more then 5N miles.

Most high preformance Jets are limited to 220 kts IAS for any holding pattern which based on a time of 1 minute (less then 14000 Ft.) should give me about a 4NM holding leg.

That is well and good for a airport like KATL but the default 1 minute time value that MS uses is not worth 2 cents for small GA airports. If the NDB approach has a HF hold before the procedure turn, a Cessna 172 at 90 KIAS in 1 minute is only a 2 mile leg in the hold.

Given the ability to use distance= for the leg allows a better distance for smaller airports then the default 1 min that MS based on 300 MPH.