Building reflection

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
No, it is not possible in FSX. But you can make your own reflection texture (Environment) and add some night light in there.

Can you show me a sample of this Environment texture? BTW, do you know how can I make the transparency texture for buildings? I think it's the better choice because at least we can see lights moving thought the building.
thank you

Check this out:
http://www.eagleskinner.com/EScubemaps.htm

If you want transparencies in a model in addition, Make a different material, and you'd have to make the glass section separately. You can't just have a section of a box semi-transparent.

But I can't seem to use reflections on a transparent object, so either do that or use the diffuse alpha as the reflection map:
Tick "use inverse alpha for reflection" and either use "Global environment map" or one you have supplied.

This way you can just have reflective glass.

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Very good one.
But I'd like to ask. If the example is a glass building, all the surface are glass. How would it be? Do we need more cube map?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Very good one.
But I'd like to ask. If the example is a glass building, all the surface are glass. How would it be? Do we need more cube map?
I wouldn't make a separate cube map for say each side of the building,.. because it would use quite a lot of memory,..

The default "cube map" or environmental map,.. its a general representation,.. for trees, hills, and without buildings. So for instance, with say a downtown area where a lot of buildings around other buildings,.. the default cube map wouldn't be the best fit.

What I would do, would create a "cube map" for each general region,.. the default would be best for the rural areas,. another for a city or downtown area,.. and so forth...