• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Compiler issue

GHD

Messages
12,244
Country
england
George

Did you update the GP Library as well as the excutable and sde library?

You need the latest one since ADE is using code from the GPLibrary. I am not sure what would happen with an older one.

In any case the texture type should display the index number if not the texture name :o and older lines should show the pattern index number in the list

Yes, ADE_GroundPolys.dll is dated 26/05/2013 @ 11:49.

It's just got worse.

On compiling, ADE hung just clocking up cpu time:



Log attached.
 
Last edited:
Re-loaded and the compile worked.

However it hadn't saved my last edits.

I re-edited the poly:



Entered the GP Editor and saved, ok.

Did a compile and it hung in the same way.

I will re-edit the poly, save the ADE file and try again.
 
Attached is the ADE file. You will probably need my textures and Def files.
 
Last edited:
If I delete the marked vertices, it compiles correctly.



Note. There are only 74 lines in the generated asm file after it hangs.
 
I notice you are using the gp_Asphalt_Light texture. There are no line types associated with that texture.

Don

Who said anything about line types?

I am talking about the fact that the compile hangs.

Have you tried to compile my ADE file?
 
Who said anything about line types?

You did! The majority of this thread is about line types!

But, now that you've pointed out that there's also a post discussing a crash, I'll take a look to see if it's ADE_GP.

Don
 
I know the thread started with tooltips but evolved into a much more serious compiling issue.
 
Did you try deleting the four vertices indicated in post #15?

If I remove them, the compile works.
 
I thought the compiler was scasm
No. when I referf to the GP compiler, I am refering to the code segment that generates and compiles the .asm file.

At this point, I know what is the problem. What I don't know yet is why.

I'll update you when I've isolated the problem and know how to fix.

Don
 
The problem lies in the splitting up of large polys into 100m. "chunks".

That's a particularly complex piece of code. For whatever reason, deleting thos 4 vertices avoids the issue. "Why" is what I've got to track down next.

In the meantime, avoid large polys.

Don

EDIT: Large polys per se don't seem to be the issue. Rather, it's large polys with unusual appendages (such as the 4 vertices which, if deleted, allow asm generation to complete).
 
Last edited:
I hav tried to split the compiler issue posts from the texture type display issue
 
OK. Instead of complicating the poly, I added an overlapping smaler one.

It compiles but I don't understand why each polygon has a differently displayed textures.

None of the polygons have been re-sized and the texture size in each is reported as 6.1 x 6.1 metres:

 
The appendage issue has got to be fixed in any case.

To assess the texture situation, I need to see your file. But, the reason should be obvious from the GP Editor display (one axis has got to be abnormally stretched).

Don.
 
I reset both of the large polygons which fixed most of the textures, but, the small one joining the top of the two large polygons still shows a discontinuity:

 
Last edited:
Hi,

Did you try resetting the small polygon as well? The small polygon is not at the same texture mapping size as the other polygons. If that doesn't fix it, you will have to make the small polygon larger in the GP Editor display until it is the same as the other polygons.

Hope this helps,
 
I've taken only a quick look at the issue. There are two legitimate reasons why thoset textures would be displayed at a different scale:
  • the vertices of that poly were resized after creation.; or
  • the adjoining polys were resized at some point
Neither appears to be the case in this instance.

A third possibility is that ADE_GP is somehow using a differeng texture scaling on creation for differently-sized objects. Once I get the "100m-chunking" issue resolved, I'll take a closer look.

Don
 
I have confirmed that ADE_GP scales textures slightly differently depending on the size of the object. Presumably, this is the cause of the issue you highlighted above.

Don
 
Back
Top