• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

CVXExtractor - Exporting vector data.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Patrick.

Very nice. The GUI edition will help some users. I note the GUI version dumps the ESRI files to the indicated folder, rather than creating a sub-folder to hold the contents within that folder.

Dick

Country
ca-quebec
Hi Patrick.

Very nice. The GUI edition will help some users. I note the GUI version dumps the ESRI files to the indicated folder, rather than creating a sub-folder to hold the contents within that folder.

Dick
Thanks Dick!
Yeah I know. I was hesitating about whether to create a subfolder (with the Bgl File name radical) or not. Guess I got my answer ;-). I'll fix that in the next release.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Patrick.

Or maybe a checkbox option to place in a subfolder?

Dick

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Patrick.

The CVX extractor works great.

If you are interested in developing this further, it is possible to set the .XML file for SHP file compilation at a level other than Clip = 11. To make conversions of vectors to FS2004, for example, we could make the clip level at 15, producing a BGL with the polys neatly sliced at the LOD13 borders.

I'm including an uploaded zipped file with an HPX bgl clipped at QMID15.

Attachments

• 7824.zip
    889.4 KB · Views: 407
Country
ca-quebec
Hi Patrick.

The CVX extractor works great.

If you are interested in developing this further, it is possible to set the .XML file for SHP file compilation at a level other than Clip = 11. To make conversions of vectors to FS2004, for example, we could make the clip level at 15, producing a BGL with the polys neatly sliced at the LOD13 borders.

I'm including an uploaded zipped file with an HPX bgl clipped at QMID15.
Hi Dick

I'm working on it but remember that the CvxExtractor is intended for FSX only.
Stay tuned.

Pat

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Patrick.

I think the problem is solved like this:

Code:
if ((current2.Qmid.Level == 11 || current2.Qmid.Level == 12 || current2.Qmid.Level == 13 || current2.Qmid.Level == 14 || current2.Qmid.Level == 15) && this.checkSubSectionBounding(current2, nwCorner, seCorner))

I have a possible use for this using OSM data in FS9... but I wanted a way to split up he polys at QMID15 so I could weed out those polys and use areafills. FSX is supposed to allow other clip levels but I haven't really tried that yet.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Patrick.

The extractor woudn't output a bln or shp file if the compilation used a different clip level than 11. Shp2Vec does a great job of slicing a shp file into QMID levels, and extracting the bgl back to a shp file gives me a very nicely sliced set of polys.

Country
ca-quebec
Hi Patrick.

The extractor woudn't output a bln or shp file if the compilation used a different clip level than 11. Shp2Vec does a great job of slicing a shp file into QMID levels, and extracting the bgl back to a shp file gives me a very nicely sliced set of polys.

So you want the extractor to be able process an input BGL files that contains QMID levels other that 11 or 15 ? Correct ?
The XML file produced by the extractor tool would still have "<Geometry clipLevel="11"></Geometry> " but you can manually edit it if needed. Still correct ?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Patrick:

Initial testing looks good so far. :)

IIUC although this version update changes only XML output files, I must again say a KMZ displayed in Google Earth (aka "GE") is astounding, and the KMZ 'layer tree' is extremely useful in the GE sidebar ! :wizard:

FYI: AFAIK, KLM airlines may certainly appreciate the free subliminal advertising among the FSDeveloper community. ;)

But, if possible, when you have a chance, could you change the 'output' file extension label from KLM to KML (aka "Keyhole Markup Language") ? :duck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyhole_Markup_Language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Earth

Many thanks again for developing this FS utility ! :D

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
So you want the extractor to be able process an input BGL files that contains QMID levels other that 11 or 15 ? Correct ?
The XML file produced by the extractor tool would still have "<Geometry clipLevel="11"></Geometry> " but you can manually edit it if needed. Still correct ?

Yes. That works.

Hi Dick:

Perhaps you might further elaborate on how to process the XML output file to modify it for use with making FS2004 vector content ? :scratchch

[EDITED]

Following the above ideas, might it work successfully if one were to:

1.) Edit the clip level in a XML file otherwise exported by CVXExtractor, for example:

<Vectors>
<VectorType name="GPSHydroPolygons">
<Vector FileOffsetHex="80">
<QMID u="240" v="241" l="11" />
<Shapes>
<Shape Index="0" DrawType="Polygon" FileOffsetHex="8E">
<Points>
<Point Longitude="-123.539593219757" Latitude="47.4609375" Altitude="-9999.0" />
<Point Longitude="-123.541867733002" Latitude="47.4612432718277" Altitude="-9999.0" />
<Point Longitude="-123.542268276215" Latitude="47.4609375" Altitude="-9999.0" />
<Point Longitude="-123.539593219757" Latitude="47.4609375" Altitude="-9999.0" />
</Points>
</Shape>
</Shapes>
</Vector>

2.) Set l=15 (...assuming " l " actually represents the intended clip level as a QMID ...not LOD)

3.) Re-compile edited XML to SHP via appropriate compiler (using required associated files)

4.) Input the SHP to CVXExtractor

5.) Use CVXExtractor to output a ex: BLN file

6.) Append the BLN file to SBuilder

7.) Compile to FS2004-format vector BGL ...via appropriate FS9 SDK compiler

[END_EDIT]

Some of us here would be very grateful for any additional info you might share on how to do what you described above with the XML file. ;)

Thanks,

GaryGB

Last edited:
Patrick, I've followed your excellent post on the wiki for decoding terrain vector data. Everything works well but I'm having a problem with "Method 2" for the vector data. I have the initial point computed which matches your CVXExtractor. The subsequent points I can't get right. Can you give a hint?

Country
france
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for this excellent tool.

Do you think you can add OSM.PBF format for output (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/PBF_Format) ?

Other Points :
- possibility to add "batch" mode in GUI to select a complete folder or many BGL file in a folder
- correct when you un-select "All" in GUI, all extract will be un-selected

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Country
ca-quebec
New version for CvxExtractor (1.0.2.0)

• Support a new output format: OSM for OpenStreetMap
  • CvxExtractor dll (with documentation) to be used with your own apps.

Thanks to Laurent, a.k.a. motuslechat, for making the suggestion and testing it.

See this link to get the zip file.

Enjoy

Country
germany
Hi, I have a issue.
When I try to append BLN, XML or SHP file I created with CVX extractor I get an error message.
View attachment 36013
Can someone tell me what to do? Is there a way to convert to SBX?
The file covers madeira cvx4320.bgl.