• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

DAYS AWAY!!

Country
unitedstates
Im mad, just days from purchasing a new tower, my darn air-conditioner failed!!!:yikes: Goodbye pc fund :( Hello comfort :) only $8500 lost :peanut:.
GRRRAAAAA!!!! :mad::banghead::alert::alert::alert::alert:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Sorry to hear that. But I think it is under warranty, isn't it? You can claim it back, cant' you?

Country
unitedstates
You may be misunderstanding. I am refering to my home air conditioning system. It was outside the warranty by 2 years. It would have cost $3500 to repair the damage. It made more sense to replace it for $8500 for brand new. My pc dedication fund went to replace the a/c unit.
I was just settling on some components for my new desktop, ready to start ordering next week. I was going for GTX 790 w/cuda (dedicated mostly to blender) and 2nd slot gtx 670/cuda for other vgfx and gaming needs, core i5 or i7 full function processing unit, 1tb 7200 hdd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd dedicated OS drive, RAID setup, 16gb gdddr5, 650 or 850w psu, 6usb 2.0, 4 usb 3.0, 2 hdmi, multi sdcard slot, dual-fan cooling unit with filtered air inlets and win7 64b. The only thing i needed to decide was which core i5 or i7 version i wanted and whether i wanted to pay mit computers to assemble or if i was going to do it. I was set on ordering the stuff first week of march and be ready to use by the 2nd. then my AC took a dump on Sunday. Monday I had to replace it so my desktop fund went to replace the ac. Sad week for me :(. I couldnt wait to render some scenes full capacity in hours instead of days :(
I need country music, beer, and some sad looking pictures of puppy dogs. *Depression sets in* All life is against me.
Oh well, when my fund is replenished this years end, I will have the option to chose a better combination of components. :) silver lining located

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
My central air failed a few years ago, just one month past the 10 year warranty period. Seems the sealed case developed a tiny hole on the bottom side due to rust, and all the refrigerant leaked out. I simply couldn't afford to have it fixed at the time, so (re)installed my window units. Oddly enough, between the three of them, my cooling costs are lower now than when the central air was working.

Go figure!

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Bill

Perhaps you turn off the ones you don't want running? We can shut off the vents in different rooms at the condo in Boca but that does not seem to reduce the time the central unit is running. We only have one thermostat in the living room that controls everything so it is that setting that determines how much power we are using.

Country
unitedstates
Individual units suchas portable and window and mini-splits are a cost saver, but they are more noisy and make it easier for people to break into a home. It also knocks about 15-20% off your property values having window units vs central or a mini-split system. I did weigh the minisplit option, but i would be multiple micro-units that have to be maintained every so often in order to prevent warranty void, plus the total investment would be about the same. It just made more sense to replace the central ac. Now I have a 20 year compressor, 10year parts, labor, maintenance, and othr component warranty. So over the next 10 years I am 100% covered.
I am glad Ijust payed off all but 2 credit cards. That will make it easier to get things covered.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Well, considering that I lost ownership of my home to a county tax-sale, it was just as well that I didn't spend a couple of thousand to have the central air fixed. The new owner was kind enough to allow me to stay and rent for just a bit more than the mortgage payment had been, it's now his problem to deal with or not... :rotfl:

The only thing I miss is the fancy thermostat for the central air where I could program scheduled temp changes up to six times per day. I still use that feature to keep my heating costs as low as possible. At night I have it set down to 65ºF, and only up to 70º during the hours I'm awake.

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Horrible news.

In Phoenix, the AC system is 'life support'. You almost cannot live without one with temps going to 114F every day in the summers. Winter is ok.

That's about right for a good AC unit with installation. Ours has been doing nice. We get it checked once or twice a year by a good tech. He ordered some bits for it last time which will help it to live longer. I think its a Traine. Great unit.

EDIT: Glad you were able to afford one! That is a blessing.

Country
unitedstates
I have a goodman, and in Florida, its just as important as in Arizona. You get all the heat, we get all the humidity. AC removes humidity :) I use One Hour air for my services. They are good but they damaged some property. They are paying for the repairs though so its good.

Yes I was blessed. Affording one was not someting I wanted to do just yet but I am glad I was able to accomodate it. I financed into it wit the intention of paying it off within the year. I got a great apr and 7 years to pay it off with no penalty for early payoff. I dont like debt so I try not to keep much of it.