• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Disabling Shadows

Country
unitedstates
I'm trying to disable shadows on a object by unchecking "Cast shadow" in the properties, but the shadows remain. Is this a known issue? Anyone know of a way to bypass the SDK option and it through Blender or elsewhere? Thanks!

1640723989413.png

Country
australia
through Blender you would tick the "No cast shadow" option in the Render Properties of the material(s). At least, that is how I would expect it to work, I've only ever used it on glass materials so I assume it works but you never know with MSFS.

Image1.jpg

Country
unitedstates
through Blender you would tick the "No cast shadow" option in the Render Properties of the material(s). At least, that is how I would expect it to work, I've only ever used it on glass materials so I assume it works but you never know with MSFS.

View attachment 79228
Thanks for the tip. I did try this with no luck on a standard material. Once home I'll try editing the actual models with notepad to see if its in there. If it does, ill report back.

Country
unitedstates
Hello, still no luck. I've disabled shadows in dev mode properties, GLTF, and via Blender.

Anyone else have any other idea?

Thanks!

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Yes, compile as a SimObject. I am absolutely certain that shadows are switchable for my helicopter projects rotors. I go back and forth on it, because the slow speed and blurred speed rotors are projected onto transparent polygons that block all sunlight. You know, you'd think game engine developers would write shadow algorithms to account for transparent polygons but noo, that would be rocket science.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Blender solution:
Untitled.png

The downside is you probably need to set the placement height as 0.02 meters above the apron or runway. Projected mesh won't help as the resolution is poor and displays the surface normals of the ground surface. Another possibility is to set as an apron after making a material.