• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

DISCUSSION - Future of Windows (10) flightsim related development.

Ronald

Resource contributor
I just noticed these (series of) articles about the possible heading of Microsoft Windows 10:

0 - "First cracks appear in Windows RT’s locked-down desktop"
(But the complex hack falls some way short of being a useful jailbreak.)
- https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/first-cracks-appear-in-windows-rts-locked-down-desktop/

1 - Windows RT is a lemon. Here’s how Microsoft could make lemonade
(Windows RT looks like it's failing, with Samsung ending sales of its tablet.)
- https://arstechnica.com/information...emon-heres-how-microsoft-could-make-lemonade/

2 - Mystery new Windows SKU could be a resurrection of Windows RT:
(Signs are pointing to a new locked-down version of Windows)
- https://arstechnica.com/information...ows-rt-could-be-coming-back-as-windows-cloud/

3 - Microsoft takes on Chrome OS with new Windows 10 S (5 Feb 2017):
(Designed for schools, the new version will only run apps from the Store)
- https://arstechnica.com/information...oft-takes-on-chrome-os-with-new-windows-10-s/

4 - Even if you hate the idea, Windows users should want Windows 10 S to succeed:
(A healthy Windows Store offers benefits to every Windows user)
- https://arstechnica.com/information...ws-users-should-want-windows-10-s-to-succeed/

5 - Windows 10 S: no command line apps, free Pro upgrades for assistive tech users:
(Locked-down operating system blocks access even to some built-in Windows software)
- https://arstechnica.com/information...s-free-pro-upgrades-for-assistive-tech-users/

After reading all this, I wonder what it your personal thoughts / opinions are about:
A - This future direction of the once "free" Windows 10 operating system?
B - The future "cloud-i-fication" of the WIN10 operating system?

and now closer to your Flightsimulator Developer homes:
C - Will Microsoft become able to shutdown / dis-able / delete certain of our own-created / self-installed software?
D - Will we - as 3rd party (flight-simulation) developers - be able to add our own fruits to future "Windows"(tm) / Flightsim platforms?
E - Will all these WIN10 development have an impact on the availability of future Software Development Kits?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
As far as I understood, S and RT are new editions of Windows 10 that do not affect anyone NOT using a mobile device.

If MS starts locking down proper, i.e. PC based Windows 10 editons, they'd be incredibly, unnaturally dumb and wouldn't survive the loss in market share as a company.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have the same impression as Bjoern, these new versions are aimed at Chromebook like systems. I don't think FS will ever run on that kind of systems, nor will it replace the normal Windows OS. I can't imagine every home user or company would be able to work in that way.

Country
netherlands
Windows RT was always the Tablet (or Phone) version, compiled for ARM architecture and expected to work with such.

Any discussion as to RT, S or whatever the successor to this level of OS would be named is really irrelevant to FS development.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Photoshop won't run on Windows 10 S, 3ds Max won't run on it, Blender is frozen out and even Steam won't run on Windows 10 S.
Windows 10 S is streamlined for security and performance, and works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store. (from Microsoft, my emphasis)

It's of no interest to us. Windows 10 Home or Pro are what we use if we use W10.

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Photoshop won't run on Windows 10 S, 3ds Max won't run on it, Blender is frozen out and even Steam won't run on Windows 10 S.

It's of no interest to us. Windows 10 Home or Pro are what we use if we use W10.
Don't forget that some of us are using Windows Insider. My desktop is Win 10 pro while my laptop is Insider. There is a difference but I have not investigated enough to be very knowledgeable on the subject. Both run Max, Photoshop and ESP based FS without problem allowing me to keep my head in the sand.

Country
argentina
Fsx does not work in windows 10. It starts but after updating the indexes and creating the database of the new scenarios, a message appears that says "serious error, Windows will restart the program" Then the process is repeated and it says again "serious error the Program will be turned off". I already tested the boot with different Windows compatibilities but everything remains the same

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I don't know what your particular problem is, but FSX most certainly does run on Win 10. I've just been running FSX and I'm using Win 10, fully updated, like many others here.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Fsx does not work in windows 10.
Step 1) Reinstall/repair FSX.
Step 2) Remove or disable all third party addons.
Step 3) Confirm FSX runs properly, otherwise repeat Step 2.