• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

effect orientation

Country
austria
Hi, i'm updating some aircraft for P3dv4 and get a problem with effect orientation. When I try to enter -180 in the marked position in the picture the editor set it back to 90.
I corrected it in the x-file but it is much more work. Please can you take a look at it? Many thanks!
mcx1.jpg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I posted about this problem earlier. Arno says it's because the effect orientation in FSX is *relative* to the axes of the parent part, and for that reason it acts that way. I have to try various numbers until the one chosen by MCX is the one I want. Very confusing.

Luckily most of my work is done converting FS2004 aircraft and when you load one of those into MCX the Orientation works perfectly as long as you edit it BEFORE you make the conversion to FSX format.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think the editor tries to set the absolute orientation, while it shows the relative one. For effects that are attached to animations or transformations that gives weird effects. Maybe I should just set the relative and not absolute values.

Country
austria
Most FS2004 aircraft didn't have landing effects and it was always the last work I have done. I will try to do this first. Thanks

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
All of the planes I've used in FS2004 had working landing lights. These are imported by MCX as attachpoints.

Arno, anything you can do to change that would probably be an improvement. :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll try to have a look when I have some time. But the kids that have vacation already and the good weather kept me away from the laptop for most of the week.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
No problem, I do it while my planes are still in FS2004 format. :)

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi guys - I hope it's OK for me to re-open this thread. I'm having exactly the problem described above. I converted an a/c from FS9 to FSX but omitted to set the landing light effect attachment in the FS9 model first. I then tweaked the FSX model quite a bit before I noticed I didn't have landing lights, so I am reluctant to go back and start again !

Anyway, I managed to get the landing light effect attached and visible on the FSX model, but the orientation is incorrect. I have been trying to correct it using the attached objects editor in MCX but getting frustrated by the numbers changing (in 1.4 and the latest development release). I guessed it was doing something like calculating the absolute orientation, but that didn't help.

So I went looking at the .x file to see if I could set it there. But I haven't been able to identify the values to set, Could someone give me some pointers ?

Thanks !

DB

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
When I'm forced to set orientation in FSX models (which I try to avoid), setting the numbers to their opposite value (i.e. 180 degrees off) or even 90 degrees off can get them set correctly. Try all four quadrant values.

Country
unitedkingdom
I did begin to see a bit of a pattern eventually. Some values seem to work on a value of 90 (0 gets changed to 90, 10 gets changed to 80), others on 180 (1 gets changed to -179). What I couldn't figure was why e.g. changing the first value to 10 (which gets changed to 80 as above) also changes the last value to -180.

I think I managed to get a setting which works (not yet fully tested), but purely by accident. It would be a lot easier if the numbers didn't change after you entered them. Or I'd be happy changing them in the .x file - if I only knew which entries to change !

Last edited: