• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS -Everything you know about upcoming Flight Sim from Microsoft-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
argentina
Early Access is a good concept if pricing reflects the current status.

Kerbal Space Program was my first early access game and the $18 were totally worth it, considering its success and current pricetag.

In an Indy game that's ok, but these days Electronic Arts or Ubisoft charge you extra if you want to play the game early. I'm also a early player of Kerbal Space Program and I'm very happy with the price I payed for it, but even so, they took a looong time to fix "the Kraken" and mod support, but again, it was a worth the wait and money.
For a $60 title to be unfinished at launch and/or full of bugs? Thats a Nope.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Amongst the various videos and articles I've read I'm sure it was mentioned that a number of Asobo staff got their pilot licences. I believe they have a cockpit model of a DR400 at their workplace which they can use to compare flight characteristics with the real thing at the local airport.
I was going to report the same thing. ASOBO actually paid for all of their staff to take flight lessons. I seem to recall that at least sixty of them have already gained their PPL.

Yes, they do have a DR400 cockpit in a corner of their office, so they can physically test all of the hardware switches and SimConnect variables & command tokens to make sure they are working correctly. That's dedication!

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
My popcorn consumption has reduced somewhat. I remember the pre-Flight discussions and interminable arguments* over the paucity of information before release (then the release and how much of the naysaying turned out right :banghead:) This is different, so far, and quite reassuring too. The proof of the pudding will be when people get unrestricted hands-on and we see the sdk, but Microsoft are to be congratulated this time around.

* one of Arno's most astute moves was binning those threads for good – may they never see the light of day, they never happened! :tapedshut (shudders)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I sure hope the SDK will be complete enough so no one has to backward engineer or find hacks and work-arounds...

Wait! Isn't that how FSDeveloper started? :stirthepo

I hope that Microsoft Flight Simulator's post-release updates break things less frequently than Windows 10 updates do. Let's hope for stability for both!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
In an Indy game that's ok, but these days Electronic Arts or Ubisoft charge you extra if you want to play the game early.

So? Let the idiots fall for it then, just as for those overpriced collectors editions with all the useless junk.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
It's looking like VR might make it into the early release.

A huge silence concerning seasons. Apparently it's too much work?

Nearly 2 trillion ( 2,000,000,000,000) trees placed, as recognized by 20,000 PCs connected to Azure AI, with the work completed in a week. The photoreal has been 'scrubbed' by Azure Ai to eliminate clouds, shadows, building and tree imagery, with these elements added back by weather, lighting, and generated objects and procedural elements.

Missions are probable, as Asobo is looking to hire a mission-builder. No word on airfield job boards or aerocaches (2 great additions in Flight).

No real word on ATC or AI traffic. In fact, little said about a living world at all: animals, people, automotive traffic, lake and ocean traffic, trains, AI aircraft, airport vehicles or jetways. We have seen car traffic on the roads, and they are as hilarious as the cars in FSX.

There will be an SDK released to a limited number of commercial 3rd party developers during the Alpha stage, and a polished SDK might make it into the final release, available to the vast majority of developers. Maybe.

Flight had no dynamic movement, limited scenery, no ATC, very limited number of airports... it did have seasons and game qualities.

So compared to Flight, it looks like Dos Equis is going to offer less at initial release, excepting world wide coverage and 40,000 airfields. It's going to look great in a lifeless, summer-only kind of way. The aircraft will handle superbly. Oh, and Flight had no helicopters either. But MSFS2020 may have a tube liner, and perhaps better gauges. Unlike Flight, no ancient Japanese zeros without interiors flying around Hawaii, to insult old American veterans and their children. :)

Seriously, I wish they'd delay the sim for a couple more years and get the missing pieces into the puzzle. It's going to look stunning. Flight handling should be superb. But Microsoft and Asobo have chosen to have a very limited sim rather than a trade-off, giving a flawed sim. I just think the consciously missing elements may never make it into the final product. Microsoft says it will be different this time. I worked in the automotive industry for 34 years and cannot count the number of times that corporation said it's going to be different this time... it never was. As the saying goes, 'wish in one hand and poop in another and see which fills up first". :idea:

Country
canada
You left out. Just under 100 GB!!

You get a new drive!, and you get a new drive! You all get a new drive

Country
argentina
Sadly SSD storage is not cheap
At least not in Argentina :(

2 Petabytes of Data

Last edited:
Country
us-alabama
It's looking like VR might make it into the early release.

A huge silence concerning seasons. Apparently it's too much work?

Nearly 2 trillion ( 2,000,000,000,000) trees placed, as recognized by 20,000 PCs connected to Azure AI, with the work completed in a week. The photoreal has been 'scrubbed' by Azure Ai to eliminate clouds, shadows, building and tree imagery, with these elements added back by weather, lighting, and generated objects and procedural elements.

Missions are probable, as Asobo is looking to hire a mission-builder. No word on airfield job boards or aerocaches (2 great additions in Flight).

No real word on ATC or AI traffic. In fact, little said about a living world at all: animals, people, automotive traffic, lake and ocean traffic, trains, AI aircraft, airport vehicles or jetways. We have seen car traffic on the roads, and they are as hilarious as the cars in FSX.

There will be an SDK released to a limited number of commercial 3rd party developers during the Alpha stage, and a polished SDK might make it into the final release, available to the vast majority of developers. Maybe.

Flight had no dynamic movement, limited scenery, no ATC, very limited number of airports... it did have seasons and game qualities.

So compared to Flight, it looks like Dos Equis is going to offer less at initial release, excepting world wide coverage and 40,000 airfields. It's going to look great in a lifeless, summer-only kind of way. The aircraft will handle superbly. Oh, and Flight had no helicopters either. But MSFS2020 may have a tube liner, and perhaps better gauges. Unlike Flight, no ancient Japanese zeros without interiors flying around Hawaii, to insult old American veterans and their children. :)

Seriously, I wish they'd delay the sim for a couple more years and get the missing pieces into the puzzle. It's going to look stunning. Flight handling should be superb. But Microsoft and Asobo have chosen to have a very limited sim rather than a trade-off, giving a flawed sim. I just think the consciously missing elements may never make it into the final product. Microsoft says it will be different this time. I worked in the automotive industry for 34 years and cannot count the number of times that corporation said it's going to be different this time... it never was. As the saying goes, 'wish in one hand and poop in another and see which fills up first". :idea:

It appears that Microsoft is "Cutting Corners" in exactly the areas where I feel X-Plane is deficient: No change of season, Poor AI Traffic, and Poor ATC. The only difference is that while X-Plane does offer improved ATC and AI traffic through payware developers this will be a while in coming for MSFS unless it is included in the base package. I agree that they should hold off on release until these features are implemented, but Microsoft's trademark since FSX is to rush products out unfinished, poorly tested, and too soon.

Country
ca-ontario
Nice desktop wallpaper, right? Wrong. FS2020 screen shot (from the October 10 video)... Millions and Millions of procedurally generated 3D blades of grass.

FSX2020_Bretagne.jpg

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
OMG... we're actually agreeing that Microsoft is doing things RIGHT?

Is this the Real World?

Actually, MS only owns the title, and the sim is in the good hands of a powerful team that have amazing vision and know-how to make it into what we are seeing.

I think if MS let the team alone to make a good product, it will do well. MS (under that former president that was used to running football teams) interfered with Aces and I think that that was what wrecked FSX. It wasnt read and they pushed to launch it too soon before it was finished and running smooth.

Thats my humble 2 cents. MS isnt actually doing this, its the studio.

Country
argentina
October 24th, 2019 – Development Update
‘TWAS THE DAY OF TECH ALPHA AND ALL THROUGH LAST NIGHT, NOT ALL EMAILS FINISHED SENDING YET, SO EVERYONE HOLD TIGHT.
As we complete our notification process for those selected to participate in our first Tech Alpha, the team would like to provide some additional information regarding participation.
  • One of our primary goals for the Build Program is to get everyone interested in early build testing, actually testing early builds.
  • Though we have limited participation numbers in our first build release, we are actively working to scale participation numbers for future releases.
  • If you were not selected for participation in this round, fear not, we’ve automatically registered you for the next build release.
  • So while you may not have been selected for participation in the first Tech Alpha, please know that we are actively working to get as many people into the testing process, as quickly as possible.

EPISODE 2 HAS BEEN RELEASED!

We are pleased to announce the second episode in our Feature Discovery Series has been released! Recently presented at the Global Preview Event, Episode 2 (WEATHER) features a detailed look at the world we fly in, and the importance of this world in the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Head into the Insider Area to watch Episode 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.