• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS -Everything you know about upcoming Flight Sim from Microsoft-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
argentina
Slide1.jpg

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I seriously hope that the VII/2080 is for setups with large screens or extreme anti-aliasing values.

The rest doesn't look that out of the ordinary though. Much like what X-Plane 11 requires.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I believe it's the 8GB vram that's important for a graphics card. Also note the computer memory ideal of 32GB. More memory = better performance. Also, CPU ideal would mean more cores, not simply speed.

Country
argentina
Check the mail people; a new batch of invites to the Alpha was released... got mine today :)

Country
southafrica

Maybe its just the scenery developer in me , but the airports look good at best, but theirs a lot of potential to develop great looking airports.

1590744814154.png

1590744935824.png

1590744870676.png

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Have to admit that this video increased my heart rate. SIDs and STARs for flight planning and ATC, a voice system overhaul, copilot radio assistance, traffic management, synthetic terrain and weather radar...

Country
netherlandsantilles
I dont believe it is a leak since it was officially published by MS this week on the insider site..I was just curious because I saw the name "Lionheart" branded at start of the clip.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Okay, the website seemed a bit dodgy at first glance, but as long as it is legitimate... :scratchch

Country
netherlandsantilles
the clip was re-posted using that link on the AVSIM site that might be the reason....but so I see Lionheart himself is not around to confirm anything.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I'll assume the Lionheart was intentionally a teaser from Microsoft. It may refer to a native MSFS aircraft, or the importation of an FSX aircraft? Either way, if our dear friend is involved, then he would be under an NDA, and it isn't fair to pressure him for an answer. So let's wait and see.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Soooo..... Just a bit over a month to go until release. Are you hyped yet? :cool:

Country
us-illinois
Soooo..... Just a bit over a month to go until release. Are you hyped yet? :cool:

I had gotten the impression that release was delayed by the pandemic.

asobo_covid_home-jpg.59951

...Apparently I was mistaken (...and in this case, that was a 'good' thing ! :) )

"Microsoft Flight Simulator Set for Launch on August 18 for PC,
also with Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta)
"

"In addition to its digital versions, Microsoft Flight Simulator will be available as a retail disc version at European stores via Aerosoft."

NOTE: MSFS 2020 is NOT to be confused with this questionably named product:

...or this product (actually both Deluxe and Acceleration DVDs), which is now available again at a more appropriate price:

PS: Some inside news on the "Closed Beta", and some new screenshots / videos by Alpha Testers:

Happy Flying ! :cool:

GaryGB

Attachments

• ASOBO_COVID_Home.jpg
    ASOBO_COVID_Home.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
As far as developers go, there are some omissions.

No SDK. No VR. No seasons. No helicopters or gliders. No ability to import FSX scenery or aircraft. 3 versions to contend with (not counting the Xbox versions). :eek:

Country
us-illinois
This link is to an audio interview. It's a bit more informative than what I've read:

https://www.flightsim.com/images/fe...icrosoft_Flight_Simulator_Interview_AUDIO.m4a

The claim that they've already contacted 3rd party developers seems odd. I haven't read anything about that. And it seems these developers will be given a functional SDK around the same time as the tech alpha build... but the actual SDK will be a work in progress and delivered at the release of the sim. Also, the sim and the SDK will very much be a work in progress, much like Windows 10 or P3D... continually getting updates. That could be a headache for developrs as the addons could be broken by new versions of the sim or the SDK. 2D panels are gone. Seasons might get added post release. As might helicopters, ATC and Ai.

They'll have VR. Just not in the Alpha, and perhaps not in the initial release. This is going to be an ongoing project similar to the updates of P3D.

I sure hope the SDK will be complete enough so no one has to backward engineer or find hacks and work-arounds...

Wait! Isn't that how FSDeveloper started? :stirthepo

It's looking like VR might make it into the early release.

A huge silence concerning seasons. Apparently it's too much work?

Nearly 2 trillion ( 2,000,000,000,000) trees placed, as recognized by 20,000 PCs connected to Azure AI, with the work completed in a week. The photoreal has been 'scrubbed' by Azure Ai to eliminate clouds, shadows, building and tree imagery, with these elements added back by weather, lighting, and generated objects and procedural elements.

Missions are probable, as Asobo is looking to hire a mission-builder. No word on airfield job boards or aerocaches (2 great additions in Flight).

No real word on ATC or AI traffic. In fact, little said about a living world at all: animals, people, automotive traffic, lake and ocean traffic, trains, AI aircraft, airport vehicles or jetways. We have seen car traffic on the roads, and they are as hilarious as the cars in FSX.

There will be an SDK released to a limited number of commercial 3rd party developers during the Alpha stage, and a polished SDK might make it into the final release, available to the vast majority of developers. Maybe.

Flight had no dynamic movement, limited scenery, no ATC, very limited number of airports... it did have seasons and game qualities.

So compared to Flight, it looks like Dos Equis is going to offer less at initial release, excepting world wide coverage and 40,000 airfields. It's going to look great in a lifeless, summer-only kind of way. The aircraft will handle superbly. Oh, and Flight had no helicopters either. But MSFS2020 may have a tube liner, and perhaps better gauges. Unlike Flight, no ancient Japanese zeros without interiors flying around Hawaii, to insult old American veterans and their children. :)

Seriously, I wish they'd delay the sim for a couple more years and get the missing pieces into the puzzle. It's going to look stunning. Flight handling should be superb. But Microsoft and Asobo have chosen to have a very limited sim rather than a trade-off, giving a flawed sim. I just think the consciously missing elements may never make it into the final product. Microsoft says it will be different this time. I worked in the automotive industry for 34 years and cannot count the number of times that corporation said it's going to be different this time... it never was. As the saying goes, 'wish in one hand and poop in another and see which fills up first". :idea:

As far as developers go, there are some omissions.

No SDK. No VR. No seasons. No helicopters or gliders. No ability to import FSX scenery or aircraft. 3 versions to contend with (not counting the Xbox versions). :eek:

AFAIK, there is (was ?) an intent to make a SDK available at RTM, and updated at (multiple ?) points in the future.

"Microsoft is committed to providing a software development kit (SDK) with the product at launch that will give developers the tools they need to build add-ons, though they caution that it is something that will be polished and expanded through post-launch updates. "

IIRC, Dick knows (probably better than most of us here) this would not be the first time that we had to wait for a MSFS SDK to released after FS RTM shipped.

Also, AFAIK, there was reportedly going to be a MSFS-2020 'mode' that allowed use of existing ex: FSX / P3D scenery content to be displayed / used.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-flight-sim-from-microsoft.445504/post-835386

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-flight-sim-from-microsoft.445504/post-830403

No seasons? AI? No heli's? No SDK? No most common airliners?
Must be extremely boring :).

Indeed, when I fly IRL or in FS, it is not in the Winter, and it is instead on sunny days with clear skies.

And IRL flyers likely recall how nerve-wracking and dangerous it is to fly in even slightly cloudy conditions. :pushpin:

I've spend too much time IRL on the ground baking in the sun inside a cockpit at busy airports, so I don't use AI / Ground Traffic for my GA flying experience. ;)

PS: Dick, is that a makeshift 'Helipad' I see at ICAO CL33 Pauma Valley Air Park ? :scratchch

BTW: I have no doubt that Asobo can implement Helicopters and Gliders based on their prior work:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-flight-sim-from-microsoft.445504/post-824418

I am especially confident in their abilities to do Helis after seeing what Asobo did in year 2010 for their "FUEL" game product (...download and run this Demo version :laughing:)

GaryGB

Attachments

• Pauma Valley Air Park.zip
    862 bytes · Views: 113
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.