-Everything you know about upcoming Flight Sim from Microsoft-

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
As far as modeling and animation, it would be nice if the general community was given a hint what modeling app was supported by the SDK. Most small and lone devs would like something like Blender (as it's free and very powerful and allows imports of various formats). Microsoft could always deliver their own app...

Vitus

Resource contributor
It is public knowledge that the MSFS will utilize the glTF fileformat for all 3d models. Blender comes with an exporter to that format already and if there's still some extensions that need to be done, I'm sure I can work on an addon. My hope is that freeware developers will be able to move over to Blender 2.8x for all 3d assets for the new sim.

Heretic

Resource contributor
The only thing stopping freeware devs from producing content for FS20 would be some kind of required "trusted developer" package signing process and lack of documentation about the inner workings of the export module in case it'll only ever materialize for 3ds Max (which hardly anybody is able and willing to afford), preventing reverse engineering and developing an equivalent for Blender.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
It is public knowledge that the MSFS will utilize the glTF fileformat for all 3d models. Blender comes with an exporter to that format already and if there's still some extensions that need to be done, I'm sure I can work on an addon. My hope is that freeware developers will be able to move over to Blender 2.8x for all 3d assets for the new sim.
So let's hope how the glTF format is used is soon common knowledge too. How about it, Microsoft?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
As I read it
  • there is an SDK. But it may not be an SDK as we know it Jim
  • a number of folks have access to it. Whether they are the 'right people' as far as this community is concerned is a mystery
  • It is at an early stage. So if there is a wing and a prayer available it might be a good thing, usable and available for the launch of the sim
Finally I keep reminding myself that this is still defined as an Alpha. In my software experience that might denote that they have fixed the color of the box it comes in.

And more finally for once I am going to be positive about the future ;)

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume that the COVID19 situation might just delay development and even perhaps a proposed 2020 release of this?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Is it safe to assume that the COVID19 situation might just delay development and even perhaps a proposed 2020 release of this?
It seems to me that it will delay everything to one degree or another. Software development in general is less likely to be affected since many teams are virtual and can work from home anywhere in the world. But then what do I know

n4gix

Resource contributor
Did everyone notice the bare areas of the grass just over the rear of the DA42? It looks like they hadn't finished putting sod down yet:

Heretic

Resource contributor
I think hey were all player controlled, Azobo was showing off the Multiplayer functionality.
I've watched the video after that and yes, those seemed to be MP aircraft. But on the other hand, they did indicate that there's AI aircraft (driven by ADS-B data?) flying around.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Nope, nothing yet. Although MSFS seems to lend itself to it with the new weather and flight model.