• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS -Everything you know about upcoming Flight Sim from Microsoft-

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
I would like to add a slight correction to that: we won't know until the SDK is released and Asobo have already said it won't be available at GTM.

Country
us-newyork
The SDK is not going to be released at the same time as the sim (although nobody knows when), and the NDA for early access won't disappear on August 18th.

I am preparing for August 18th some documentation of what can be determined just by file structure and not under the SDK NDA. Hopefully this will be useful in preparing to develop content, however, you will need the SDK in order to actually build and use 3rd-party packages in sim.

I would encourage anybody who needs access to the SDK to write to Microsoft at kh-sdk@microsoft.com, it is not only the "big" developers that have access currently.

Country
unitedkingdom
While we won't get the SDK straightaway, we almost certainly will get a raft of announcements from third-party developers that will give s a good idea of what we'll be able to do given the right resources.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Looks like the £-$ parity exchange rate again. That appears to be priced in UKP while I recall the same values in USD on their own site. Or perhaps I have finally lost the plot

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hi,

I am not a big developer, just a litlle structure which make freeware and Microsoft has send a ticket for the Developer mode, so we have obtain the 3 last SDK (0.2.1.0; 0.3.0.0 and 0.4.0.0)
I have just send and e-mail to Microsoft and signed with the label of my home site.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Looks like the £-$ parity exchange rate again. That appears to be priced in UKP while I recall the same values in USD on their own site. Or perhaps I have finally lost the plot

I paid £109.99 for the Premium Deluxe version direct from MS (it's the same on Steam). The US price is $119.99 - BUT that is before State taxes. In most States, that'll add another $5-10.

Country
us-illinois
Here's another good in-depth video review released today:

Flight Simulator PC Hands-On: A Generational Leap In Graphical Realism

Hmmm... I have not decided which is testing my patience more:

* Having to wait until after release to see MSFS-2020 itself

...or:

* Deciding what hardware updates I may need to buy and configure before release of MSFS-2020. :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:

tylerpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Is there a webpage where you can sign up for the SDK? I am also a small developer. I saw the message above that says to email kh-sdk@microsoft.com. I just wanted to know if there was any other special information page or something similar from Microsoft that lists a specific process.

Country
unitedkingdom
* Deciding what hardware updates I may need to buy and configure before release of MSFS-2020. :scratchch

Loading time is an issue apparently. So as NVMe M.2 drives are cheap now, I've gone ahead and fitted one.

I just needed an adapter

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Is there a webpage where you can sign up for the SDK? I am also a small developer. I saw the message above that says to email kh-sdk@microsoft.com. I just wanted to know if there was any other special information page or something similar from Microsoft that lists a specific process.

Not sure there is. I assume the first requirement is to be part of the Closed Alpha team. If you are then you can probably find the best way to request access to the SDK there.

Country
finland
The Alpha/Closed beta team does get the SDK when everybody else gets it, after the release of the sim. It will be available to everyone, as far as I have understood.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Loading time is an issue apparently. So as NVMe M.2 drives are cheap now, I've gone ahead and fitted one.

I just needed an adapter

While NVMEs are indeed getting very cheap and can have insane read/write speeds, these speeds are often limited to sequential reads and writes of insanely huge files (in the GBs).
When it comes to random read/writes, they are hardly any different to regular SSDs.*
I know some of you may already know this, but to the uninformed who may be looking at the potential requirements of FS2020, I would hold off on paying the premium for an NVME over a regular SSD before we can be sure that the extra performance actually benefits the sim (especially in things like reducing stuttering during actual flight).

Here is an example video comparing a mechanical HDD, SSD and NVME drive in different scenarios.

As you can see the difference is usually one second to the loading screen*. Sometimes none. Paying about twice the price per GB for a 1 second difference to loading time may not be worth it.
During actual flight*, I speculate, that you may not see much difference if any at all, but I will wait to see if any side by side tests prove this to be incorrect. In that case, I'll definitely be buying one myself.

*Yes, photoreal tiles often are many GBs in size, but remember these are usually placed into memory at the loading screen and then slowly streamed into memory from the drive at rates far below GBs per second.

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Watched a few preview videos of the beta and the sim really looks like a sensible improvement over FSX in all areas. If it gets some thumbs up from people running it on Linux via WINE/Proton, I might get really interested.

Country
argentina
The Hype is real... even popular Streamers are jumping on the FS2020 wagon.... we're not a niche anymore guys! :eek:

Country
italy
The SDK is not going to be released at the same time as the sim (although nobody knows when), and the NDA for early access won't disappear on August 18th.

I am preparing for August 18th some documentation of what can be determined just by file structure and not under the SDK NDA. Hopefully this will be useful in preparing to develop content, however, you will need the SDK in order to actually build and use 3rd-party packages in sim.

I would encourage anybody who needs access to the SDK to write to Microsoft at kh-sdk@microsoft.com, it is not only the "big" developers that have access currently.

3th day without any reply... :confused:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Here's a condensed (edited) transcript of the recent AVSIM/Asobo interview:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/...f-the-fs-team/?do=findComment&comment=4282958

Q: Legacy air plane support has been promised. How will this work, will it be a matter of drag and drop or do we need the SDK to rebuild?
A: It has not been a promise, we said we'll try to make it possible for the planes you have by default in FSX. The more complex third party planes may not work, the technology is too far from what we are doing now.

Q: I'm interested in the methodology to import an old plane?
A: It's a drag and drop system, but we can't promise they all work, it's technically not possible to support every one of them.

Q: Will the SDK be ready at release and will it be available to all users?
A: Yes, we want to make it available to everybody, we would like people to be as creative as they can be. It's included in every version and it's basically the same tools as the team is using, you can make aircraft, and missions, and airport, it's all there.

Q: Will the marketplace have some toys head on ... some aircraft, or scenery?
A: There were some 200 subscriptions to the marketplace program in just the first four days. They've shown us stuff, there will be scenery, aircraft, airports and even some things we never expected ... it's awesome.

Q: Is 80GB the download size now?
A: For the standard version it is, for Premium Deluxe it may grow up to 150, or more.

No word if the SDK ships with the initial download, or if it will be available at a later date. I'm assuming the import of legacy aircraft from FSX will be only XML gauge aircraft.

Country
us-illinois
Excellent info, Dick; many thanks for the heads-up on this encouraging news. :)

Hmmm... I should probably try to check in over at at AVSIM and SOH more often. :scratchch

I have not been doing that in recent years, as I my time has been too limited to accommodate the 'temptation' to scan forums ...for way too many hours per week. :oops:

GaryGB

Status
Not open for further replies.