• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Flag waving in the wind direction

Country
germany
I observed the issue with the scaling of SimObjects as well, so it seems to be a general thing.

Regarding making a flag in Blender: To the best of my knowledge, you cannot use cloth simulation and need to use bone animations instead. @RomanDesign did experiments on this without success (see first two pages in this discussion). However, what you can do is to use cloth simulation to give the flag sheet a more realistic look:

Country
italy
Hi ;) thanks for the reply
do you know if it's a msfsToolsKit limit?
and do you know if with 3dsMax I can successfully use the cloth simulation?

Country
germany
I've no experience with 3ds Max. But since Asobo is using bone animations for their windsock as well, I would assume that this is a MSFS limitation. (But at least we have bone animations, which is not the case in X-Plane as far as I know.)

Country
canada
Yes, I can confirm - no cloth simulation or any way of transferring it to bone simulation that I could find. So I had to manually do bone animation, and use the second animation for the wind, as I was advised in this topic. It works quite well. Not as natural-looking as cloth simulation, but acceptable. Brings a lot of live feeling to the airport.
14.jpg

Yes, I can confirm - no cloth simulation or any way of transferring it to bone simulation that I could find. So I had to manually do bone animation, and use the second animation for the wind, as I was advised in this topic. It works quite well. Not as natural-looking as cloth simulation, but acceptable. Brings a lot of live feeling to the airport.
14.jpg
Looks great. I wish I was good at creating Bone Animated 3D

Country
italy
that's a real shame, because cloth simulation animation is so much better.
so far in my development airport I had temporarily put yours canadian, just changing the texture.
But of course I wanted to make my own, so I studied the physics of blender, which I did not know.
and when I finished, the result was great.
But in the sim only the rotation at the wind worked, the flag turned well ... but flat.
Too bad, now I will have to learn the bones with blender as well knowing that I will never reach the same result that I got with the cloth simulation.
anyway thanks Roman for the answer and congratulations for the work with the parallax, now I don't need it but surely later yes and I will study you very carefully :)

Country
canada
that's a real shame, because cloth simulation animation is so much better.
I went through the same steps as you. I couldn't even find a way to capture the sloth simulation frame by frame and put it into the animation. The only feasible way was to tediously make a manual bone animation.

Country
austria
There is this Tutorial Cloth to Bones with constrains. i could not tried it until now so i dont know if it still works like this in blender 2.9+

Country
unitedkingdom
Hey guys, I got a bone flag animation linking to a cloth animation but struggled to get it to export correctly. So I went back to basics and created a basic plane with some bones, I can get it exporting but it plays really weirdly warped in MSFS, like a stretched bananna. Am I missing anything here?

(1) create bone animation

(2) set up keyframes (on bone rotation)

(3) bake animation on the flag mesh: select flag object -> Animation->Bake action

(4) push it down (I need to select the bones or the flag mesh?)

(5) rename the mesh and the NLATrack to be the same

(5) export (untick apply modifiers)

(6) add the animation line in the .xml with guid.

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 11.58.48.png

Country
canada
I had a really weird deformed flag, rotated in the wrong axis etc. - the solution was to Ctrl+A - Apply All. You have to apply all scale etc. to all of the objects, then animate them, then export. This solved it for me. Generally, MSFS doesn't like objects without applied size/scale and can do all kinds of weird things to them. So it's always a good idea to apply all before exporting any object.

Country
unitedkingdom
I had a really weird deformed flag, rotated in the wrong axis etc. - the solution was to Ctrl+A - Apply All. You have to apply all scale etc. to all of the objects, then animate them, then export. This solved it for me. Generally, MSFS doesn't like objects without applied size/scale and can do all kinds of weird things to them. So it's always a good idea to apply all before exporting any object.
Ah ha! I thought I did that but can see from the screen shot I hadnt. Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Thank you!!!

Country
unitedstates
@JimmyB, I just replied to your post on reddit. With that in mind, looking more closely at your screenshot, your NlaTrack is part of your flag mesh. Try making it part of the armature. You are animating the bones which will move the mesh.

Country
unitedkingdom
@JimmyB, I just replied to your post on reddit. With that in mind, looking more closely at your screenshot, your NlaTrack is part of your flag mesh. Try making it part of the armature. You are animating the bones which will move the mesh.
Thanks for taking a look, your reply on reddit was most useful. I just wrapped up work for the day so knocked together another flag based on your advise. Currently trying to test it as quietly as possible before the kids burst in to my office. 😁

Country
unitedkingdom
I think I am nearly there, changing the locations of the mesh to zero helped the warping issue, one thing left I cant figure out now is that the animation only bends the flag one way but it plays fine in blender. Here's a recording which shows the config file and the problem; is there anything obvious I am doing wrong? This is the last step to finish my Principality of Sealand model :)

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 09.16.45.png

148420339_431126721644569_8950147432224667384_n.jpg

Attachments

• sealand_flag.blend.zip
    122.5 KB · Views: 172
Country
sweden
14.jpg

Looks good indeed. Shame that there is no template for such animated objects in the SDK yet and we have to figure out some far-from-perfect solutions.
Are you maybe willing to share your flag with illiterate, layman scenery builders like me? :)

Country
germany
For you guys that have figured out how to make an animated flag or windsock:
Would it be possible to make a video tutorial of your work flow and what you did from start to finish?
I really want to make some windsocks, but piecing together all the bits and pieces of information around is so tedious and I'm unable to follow, which makes it impossible for me and my limited knowledge to even start with the project.
The modelling part of an actual flag/windsock is not the big problem, but it would help me a ton (and probably a lot more people) if anybody could make a video tutorial showing all the stuff that needs to be done.
It doesn't need to be a perfect video, just screencapturing and explaining what you do.
Would anybody willing to do that?

Country
austria
finaly i found the solution how to bake a cloth simulation to the bones and export that to msfs.
it was the approach from post #88 but it does not have to be that complicated you can do it with just one plane.
it needs more tweaking to look even better but it is the right direction :)

with some more subdivisions and adjusting of the weightpainting it is even better :)

next step will be bake different wind speeds to get different animations based on the msfs wind and the rotation of the whole flag.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
finaly i found the solution how to bake a cloth simulation to the bones and export that to msfs.
it was the approach from post #88 but it does not have to be that complicated you can do it with just one plane.
it needs more tweaking to look even better but it is the right direction :)

with some more subdivisions and adjusting of the weightpainting it is even better :)

next step will be bake different wind speeds to get different animations based on the msfs wind and the rotation of the whole flag.
Wow this is looks great. Would you be able to share the steps you took through to exporting it, or maybe even a blender file? 🙏

Country
austria
yes this is possible, but i have to do another with a better cloth animation this is just a basic shorty to check if it is working :)