• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Forget the SDK, go digging :-) Effects, Textures, DEM data, everything...

Country
australia
So I was doing a search on my computer for video file for a film project and lo and behold I discovered where all the fun stuff is for MSFS...

Here's some links for the steam install, I'll try and find out for the other installs:

This folder contains the PressStartVideo-4K.mp4 that you see when you start the sim:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-videos

This folder will give you ideas on how you can build your various albedo, detail, and metal textures etc or default textures you can call for your models:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base\texture

This is the base sim folder, there's a ton of deprecated FSX and FSW stuff in there but check out all the subfolders:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base

This should have all the Airline and Aircraft type ICAO data, should be able to be decompiled with SPB2XML:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-aircraft-icao\AirTraffic

This looks like where the AI traffic and Boat Traffic lives, does not seem to have changed since FSX but maybe it's deprecated:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-ai-traffic\scenery\world\traffic

This is where the new elevation data lives, it is ASTER DEM based primarily and is in CGL encoded format also note the list of sources in the .txt:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-cgl\CGL
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-cgl\CGL\BASE

This is where you can find and discover what the new Effects system will use, the code is there already for the in sim effects such as stones being kicked up by aircraft etc, it's now XML based:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-effects\MaterialLibs\EffectsBase_MaterialLib

These are just a few of the gold nuggets you'll find, dig around more and you may find more, there's one I found for the base world map which I want to update to something so you get an idea of where in the world you are when choosing an airport...

mendiola_loyola

Resource contributor
Country
peru
Is there a way to edit or create CGL elevation Data?
I have some hgt and microdem elvation data that I would like to add to the simuator.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola

Country
australia
Is there a way to edit or create CGL elevation Data?
I have some hgt and microdem elvation data that I would like to add to the simuator.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola

Asobo hasn't released any SDK tools yet for elevation data, it is still on the To Do list in the SDK's.

Country
us-arizona
If you buy it from the Microsoft store, you cannot get into the master sim files. :(

But....! That said, you 'can' get into the addons folders. If you can track the folder installation spot (purchased from Microsoft Store), you will have two folders in it saying Official and Community. In Official, its Official/OneStore/ and there are all of your sim addons, airports, templates, etc. But 'deluxe' things have hidden configs.

Country
australia
If you buy it from the Microsoft store, you cannot get into the master sim files. :(

But....! That said, you 'can' get into the addons folders. If you can track the folder installation spot (purchased from Microsoft Store), you will have two folders in it saying Official and Community. In Official, its Official/OneStore/ and there are all of your sim addons, airports, templates, etc. But 'deluxe' things have hidden configs.

That's basically the same structure as the Steam install, but dig into the subfolders above should be:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base-videos

etc etc etc.

Country
us-arizona
That's basically the same structure as the Steam install, but dig into the subfolders above should be:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base-videos

etc etc etc.
Yep. I found some nice templates for flight configs in there. A lot of 'supplies'.