• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA FS2004 aircraft propeller states

Tom, you are talking about mapping a prop texture, which requires 3d software.
Christian, you have to modify the texture using image editing software that supports layers, like Photoshop.

UVs are two-dimensional texture coordinates that correspond with the vertex information for your geometry. UVs are vital because they provide the link between a surface mesh and how an image texture gets applied onto that surface. They are basically marker points that control which pixels on the texture corresponds to which vertex on the 3D mesh.
https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/fi...ve-them-or-hate-them-theyre-essential-to-know

Thanks Rick, I used Photoshop (an old one)! Which Layers are needed? Picture D is the original bmp with specified Alpha with DXTBmp.

Attachments

• D.jpg
    D.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 252
To visualize transparency in MCX, you must:

1. Open the Material Editor
2. Choose the blurred prop texture.
3. Choose Set Default Transparent from the drop down box.
4. Click the Apply button right next to the drop down box.

Displayed below is before I do this procedure on a model with a modeled circle instead of a square (but note the little straight edges around the circle):

cv340_prop_before.jpg

and after I use this procedure - note the perfectly round edge:

cv340_prop_after.jpg

And here is the blurred prop texture and alpha channel:

cv340_prop_alpha.jpg

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
And Rick, I'm talking about editing the alpha channel of the image, not UV Mapping. I have several aircraft that are mapped exactly like this plane (the author modeled square blurred prop parts, and expects the painter to use an alpha channel to make transparent the portion that is not part of the prop circle). This is done to allow a single polygon to be used to create a perfectly circular shape, without any flat edges due to polygon edges.

Sorry Tom, but in this case it doesn't work. In the past I had with other models no problem.

Attachments

• E.jpg
    E.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 202
I'm not sure where you got this plane, but if the name of the texture is CL_215_Prop_t.bmp and the model was created with GMAX or similar program the blurred prop is set up for reflection, not transparency. If created with FSDS it may be OK, but that's quite odd...

Last edited:
The (freeware) model I have downloaded from Flightsim.com (aiacl215.zip). It contains two versions for land and for water. It was mentioned as an AI-model for FS2004. The same model is availabel at AVSIM. In the meantime I found an alleged updated model for FSX. But it wasn't true. It contains exact the same files as the FS2004 one.
I heard there is a new updated (?) version for P3D, but I have not this sim. OK I will try to download this model, perhaps it works also in FSXA.
I am only interested in an ai-model not a flyable.
Thank you for answering.

I have downloaded the plane and taken a look. This plane (and several others I have encountered) uses a very odd texture format for the blurred prop that is not handled correctly by programs like MCX or DXTBmp. The diffuse texture is a bizarre combination of half white, half black, and the alpha channel does not have the proper black square surrounding a gray circle. What I do in this case is either convert the texture to a true DXT3 format (which means you basically have to create an entirely new texture and alpha channel) or substitute another blurred prop texture that is in a format these programs understand. For example when I substitute the CV-340 texture I displayed above for the original one, MCX now handles this plane in exactly the way I showed you above.

cv340_prop_on_cl215.jpg

Hope this helps,

The props look fine. I downloaded the version for PD3, but I think this is not the Waterversion.
If you convert the texture to a true DXT3 format do you mean bothe textures (fuse and the prop) or only the prop-file? I tried this the last week with DXTBmp, named it as the original file but it doesn't work either.

Hi,

Only the prop file. As I said in my post above, converting to DXT will mean you have to repaint the prop and alpha channel to look like my DXTBmp image above. You can't just convert it.

Sorry one question again. The props in the MCX are showed as a square. If I substitute the the prop file the square remain. How can I get rid of the square?
I can delete the prop with MCX but how can I set the other (e.g. CV-340), which I have?
The name of the prop-file is within the mdl-file. The name of the CV-340 prop-file is different. Changing the name alone doesn't work.
How could you change the props from the CV-340 to the CL-245 in the image above?
Sorry I try to learn but I didn't find tutorials for such problems.

Last edited:
This is what I did.

1. Copy the flyable CV-340 blurred prop texture - spin_prop.bmp.
2. Paste it into the CL-215's texture folder.
3. Rename the existing CL_215_Prop_t.bmp to CL_215_Prop_t_orig.bmp.
4. Rename the copied spin_prop.bmp file to CL_215_Prop_t.bmp.
5. Import the CL-215 into MCX.
6. Change the livery in the drop down box to the livery you changed the prop textures. The new prop texture should appear.
7. Open the Material Editor
8. Choose the blurred prop texture.
9. Choose Set Default Transparent from the drop down box.
10. Click the Apply button right next to the drop down box.
11. Now the plane should appear as my picture above.

Hope this helps,

Hi, now I got it! Heureka! The squares are away and the propdisk looks fine.
I think I must give up.

This is what I did.

1. Copy the flyable CV-340 blurred prop texture - spin_prop.bmp.
2. Paste it into the CL-215's texture folder.
3. Rename the existing CL_215_Prop_t.bmp to CL_215_Prop_t_orig.bmp.
4. Rename the copied spin_prop.bmp file to CL_215_Prop_t.bmp.
5. Import the CL-215 into MCX.
6. Change the livery in the drop down box to the livery you changed the prop textures. The new prop texture should appear.
7. Open the Material Editor
8. Choose the blurred prop texture.
9. Choose Set Default Transparent from the drop down box.
10. Click the Apply button right next to the drop down box.
11. Now the plane should appear as my picture above.

Hope this helps,

I think I have done the same.
And now I got it! Heureka! The squares are away and the propdisk looks fine.

But now it couldn't work as AI-plane properly. I am using the explorer from traffic Toolbox and there is no airplane. I can see the AI in FS but it can't go properly. It pushes back with no end or it taxes slow without end. I only have substituted the props from the CV-340.

I will retry it tomorrow. But I don't understand how the substituting of the prop livery could make an influence to the working of the AI-airplane???

It doesn't. Try replacing the AIR file with one that works as an AI aircraft. I use the default 737 AIR file. You also need to change the sim= line in the aircraft.cfg file.

Hi, sorry but it doesn't work. I substituted exactly as you said. I replaced the air-file from the CV-340. It looks fine (a bit differently as yours) Perhaps I used the wrong CV-340 version, it is the version for AI-Aircraft.
The props look the same before start and started.
Wth the original props it works as AI. With the substituted props as I said pushes back with no end or it taxes slow without end.
I thank you very much for your patience.

EDIT: The problem could be the exporting such old aircrafts with MCX. If I import the aircraft and change only something with the material editor (I tried it with the other texturefile) for instance *Allow Bloom* from *True* to *False* and export this - the aircraft doesn't work properly as AI. This concerns only texture-changes. I have eleminatet the props the day before and I could it export without problems after. It is a pity.

Attachments

• F.jpg
    F.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
All is not lost. It is likely a simple issue that needs to be rectified. MCX does not change model attributes arbitrarily and I can assure you that I have made many, many FS9 to FSX and even P3Dv4 conversions. MCX is very capable and we must remember that it is a shell application that operates, what are in most cases, legacy compilers.

That would be one check, do you have the proper compiler? Can you export another FS9 model, or even native FSX model to FSX format? How about applying Tom's excellent image editing advice to the included prop texture and using the unedited model? These are just ideas to explore.

I really think something subtle is afoot here, maybe the bounding box, or model radius sets off crash detection, something about the export settings, or configuration that can be uncovered through the process of elimination. First, find what works and then go from there, is my advice. Ultimately, there is very little about a model's composition, that affects how it behaves as an object in the sim. The animations are simple graphical representations and have no affect on the function of the parts they model.

Tom's suggestion of the AIR file, represents the only operational dynamics you can accessibly control. However to relate an AIR file to any model code is an extremely long stretch, imo, I freely swap AIR files, edit them and find very, very little difference in AI behavior, except as relates to extreme applications, like helicopter take off, or ground vehicle ambulation. Again, once established, I can swap any model into a working AI folder with the present AIR file and expect that model to work in the sim. Maybe not look right, a submarine taxiing, but it will work.

I can see how swapping AIR files might be a test, but I feel the solution will be something else.

Thank you Rick for your advice, for me and my knowhow its a bit complicated.

First, find what works and then go from there, is my advice.
If I use the original texture, it works, but the props are horrible (squares). If I import the mdl-file to MCX and change a little for instance with the material editor *Set Default Transparent* - nothing else - and export this changed mdl-file the aircraft dosn't work properly as AI-aircraft.
check, do you have the proper compiler?
I use the compiler from FSXA SDK
How about applying Tom's excellent image editing advice to the included prop texture and using the unedited model?
This I tested but there was no change , the squares remain.
The original airfile works before any changes and the 737 airfile works before changes. After the change both doesn't work anymore.

Till the last week I had no idea how to handle the MCX in such cases (only for objects putting in bgl-files for the sim)
Perhaps I made mistakes, but I do not know where. I have never tried to export another FS9 model, or even native FSX model to FSX format. But I will try.

Last edited:
I have seen this problem before, but am not sure of the solution. My guess is that the new configuration of the plane (i.e. the FSX MDL format) is causing a problem with the existing Contact Points. Try removing all Scrape lines from the Contact Points as a first try.

Thank you for answering, I will try that.

BTW I am so interested in this version because the developer made it exact for AI-aircraft. He eleminated the animation for gear down and up and set the Contact Points deeper (or lower? excuse my bad English). In the meantime I found a new version of this CL-215 and it works perfectly but not as AI-aircraft. If I use this aircraft as AI-aircraft it stands with geardown on the sea.

Back