• Yes I would like to participate in this project

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes I would like to see this project

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No, sounds boring

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Dear community,
what do you think about developing a custom airport for FSDeveloper on a fictional base? Vote and post your thoughts about this please so I can decide whether it makes sense or not.
Open for your thoughts,
CypherSimulations

P.S.: If you like to participate pls PM me:)

Last edited:
This sounds like a pretty nifty project.
Having said that I'm all for this, I know less than nothing about scenery design. The whole ball of wax is a total mystery to me. Buildings, or other necessary library type objects, terrain mesh, you name it. I have dabbled a little in ADE, and that's as far as I've gone.

Some ideas I'd like to throw into the pot, if I may. Make it have very long, moderate size and very short runways. Put in a set of arrestor cables, on a moderate length runway, and a FLOLS light on it as well. Include a water runway. Include a short grass/gravel/coral/PSP type runway, or all of them on different runways, with different headings. Include a few Helicopter pad, maybe some elevated, some on trailers for pushing into a hangar, that sort of thing. Make some of the hangars have doors that open/close with a radio signal. Like keying the mic 3 times rapidly, on a specified frequency, or something like that. Same for some, or all, or the runway lights.

I am certain that many will have more, and probably better, ideas. I was just trying to throw in as much variety as possible for testing aircraft, gauges, and so on, against.

Anyway, sounds like a fun project, if nothing else. Thanks for the good idea!
Pat☺

Heretic

Resource contributor
I wouldn't use it, but that's not the point.

Fictional content is perfect for getting acquainted with the development tools as you won't have to worry about getting any dimensions looks or similar right.
So by all means, go ahead!

Hey @CypherSimulations ,
I agree with Bjoern in both his posts; a fictional island in the middle of the ocean would be the best place to do it, as well as it would be an excellent way for you to sharpen your scenery design skills without constraints! :)

I agree. The fictional Island idea makes it so that, if you make it big enough, you can fit in any/all of the features you like. AND gives you a chance for the various phases of the scenery design, to go with the airport design.
I was also thinking of Alice Springs area, Yakuskta area, or someplace in Alaska or BC, Canada, if you want a place for bush pilots to take flights from.

The world is a BIG place. I'm sure there's a place for just about any sort of use you care to choose.

Pat☺

Ronald

Resource contributor
I think this is a nice project to get going. My personal thoughts on this project are the following...see these two threads first to get into the right mindset:
- My own YF-16 WIP thread..........................: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/wip-general-dynamics-“yf-16-prototype”-project.440049/
- Blender aircraft tutorial by Witold Jaworski.: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...lender-by-witold-jaworksi.442375/#post-794824

I hope that this project can be used as a FsDeveloper community-collective-effort on "how do I get started in aircraft and scenery modeling", which shows everyone (from absolute beginner to already expert) all the basic and essential steps one need to to conquer, master to build a successful (fictional) airport inside one's own favorite flightsimulator. In which all scenery building tricks from the FsDeveloper Wiki are shown and used (just like Witold did in his airplane building tutorials).

Some concrete questions to get you started:
- Which target platform (flightsim) did you have in mind?
- Which tool(set) will you be using for this project?
- How are you going to document it?
- Are you willing to share your experiences along the way or do you only do this for yourself?

I agree. The fictional Island idea makes it so that, if you make it big enough, you can fit in any/all of the features you like. AND gives you a chance for the various phases of the scenery design, to go with the airport design.
I was also thinking of Alice Springs area, Yakuskta area, or someplace in Alaska or BC, Canada, if you want a place for bush pilots to take flights from.

The world is a BIG place. I'm sure there's a place for just about any sort of use you care to choose.

Pat☺
I agree with this. I like the fictional island idea. Otherwise a place in Alaska or Canada would be nice.

Thanks.

Years ago,I had a blast creating fictional airports all over the US. I made some custom buildings with Sketchup. I created AI traffic between them, as well as my own airline. Complete with rather poor quality repaints. I didn't care that much because it was just fun. All with tools here at FsDeveloper. Then I used EditVoicePak to get ATC to call my airline and airports by name. It was all just for my use.
If I can do it, most anyone should be able to.

Thanks for all of your feedback! I decided to make it on an island just as you told me how to do it. The island will be situated between Great Britain and France and I created the fictitional project of a European Transport Hub for transahlantic flights. Currently I'm figuring some architectural stuff out, as I want it to look very futuristic. My first idea is a building based on a circular main terminal and two sidearms, also with gates. I also want to create only a hyperloop connection to the airport, but this isn't finally considered because hyperloop tracks are something that has never been done before. Currently I only have some sketches and I started a few days ago to create a first whitebox model for the concept that I will share as soon as I'll finished it. And one cool fact to mention at the end of this long description is the fact that this Transport Hub could offer supersonic flights because the aircrafts would start over the sea.
My Tools:
Pencil and Paper;)
Blender
Gimp

Greetings,
CypherSimulations

Thanks for all of your feedback! I decided to make it on an island just as you told me how to do it. The island will be situated between Great Britain and France and I created the fictitional project of a European Transport Hub for transahlantic flights. Currently I'm figuring some architectural stuff out, as I want it to look very futuristic. My first idea is a building based on a circular main terminal and two sidearms, also with gates. I also want to create only a hyperloop connection to the airport, but this isn't finally considered because hyperloop tracks are something that has never been done before. Currently I only have some sketches and I started a few days ago to create a first whitebox model for the concept that I will share as soon as I'll finished it. And one cool fact to mention at the end of this long description is the fact that this Transport Hub could offer supersonic flights because the aircrafts would start over the sea.
My Tools:
Pencil and Paper;)
Blender
Gimp

Greetings,
CypherSimulations
Nice to hear. I will download it when it's ready and check it out! Do you plan to make it freeware or payware?

Thanks for making it!