• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Can't Import MDL

Country
unitedstates
Long story short -- I'm doing a livery for someone and I always use MCX to load the MDL's. In the 100+ liveries I have done this is the first time I've come across this.

It's the Feelthere ERJ-145 aircraft (FSX) and when I try to import MDL I get this (using MCX 1.4);

8:11 AM MDLReader Error The file erj145.MDL is of a non-supported MDL format

I only have P3D V5 -- I have done other FSX aircraft like Wilson Citation, and such.

Not quite sure how to handle this or am I out of luck with being able to see the model? I just need it for when I'm painting texture I can reload it quickly to see the layout.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Some authors create non-standard MDL files just to avoid them being loaded into MCX. Perhaps this is one of those.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

As the message says MCX can not read the MDL file because it is not a FS2004, FSX or P3D MDL file. Without seeing the file I can't tell you way this is the case, but since this is a payware model it will be hard to send the file for debugging.

Usually when developers modify their model so that MCX can not load it you will not get this message, but another one.

Country
unitedstates
I had a feeling --
Hi,

As the message says MCX can not read the MDL file because it is not a FS2004, FSX or P3D MDL file. Without seeing the file I can't tell you way this is the case, but since this is a payware model it will be hard to send the file for debugging.

Usually when developers modify their model so that MCX can not load it you will not get this message, but another one.

Is there anything I can do to see why? Since I have the file in my possession?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well it seems likely there is a “paint kit,” have you looked for one? Granted, it is not a 3D view, but I’ve completed liveries just by editing a paint kit. Also, there are other alternatives.

Owls Nest released an AI traffic editor, that includes a model viewer. I will observe that the view window and interface are very similar to MCX, but it is unique software and perhaps not subject to the hang.

Also there is FSRepaint, it is payware and as you might expect, it has an excellent viewer.

Country
unitedstates
Well it seems likely there is a “paint kit,” have you looked for one? Granted, it is not a 3D view, but I’ve completed liveries just by editing a paint kit. Also, there are other alternatives.

Owls Nest released an AI traffic editor, that includes a model viewer. I will observe that the view window and interface are very similar to MCX, but it is unique software and perhaps not subject to the hang.

Also there is FSRepaint, it is payware and as you might expect, it has an excellent viewer.

Paintkit isn't the issue -- just the way they mapped this it's easier if I can load it in a 3D viewer and do it that way.

With that said; AI Traffic Editor can't load it either -- just spins. At this point I've wasted enough time as I have done 100's of other planes without an issue, including other Feelthere planes. This one just doesn't appear to like viewers.

Thanks for help all!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Is there anything I can do to see why? Since I have the file in my possession?
I am afraid not, I would have to check the MDL file with a hex editor or use the debugger to see how it is loaded.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It probably wouldn’t be too hard to “hack” the model, such that it opened in MCX, you’d have to do it yourself though, anyone else would be a infringement.