• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX GMAX Material Editor not available after Windows 10 upgrade

While I haven't used GMax in many years now, I too have some "bodies" in the basement that I may wish to resurrect some day. This just reinforces my decision to stick with Win7 until death do us part... :rotfl:

I noticed the same hang with the File->Open drop down list, but if I wait long enough (2-3 minutes) it seems to sort itself out. I wonder if it's trying to access some network resource that's not responding and then it finally times out.

Edit: I signed out of onedrive, and now I've got the same freezeup with the material navigator as described here.

This really makes me sad, I invested a lot of time learning Gmax and now it's becoming unusable on current windows versions. Time to try Blender I guess.

Last edited:
For those of you who may still be suffering from this problem. I just resolved it by setting compatibility to "Vista". None of the compatibility setting previous to Vista had any effect.

Don

EDIT: Material Navigator problem returned when I reselected the Heidi driver. The real problem seems to be the Heidi driver. Both the Material Navigator and the file open issues are resolved if the OpenGL driver is used instead. However, that driver tends to leave artifacts. But, at least you can edits models.

If I find a more satisfactory solution, I'll post again.

Last edited:
Tried different compatibility modes including Vista with DirectX, Heidi, and OpenGL drivers. Material Navigator still freezes Gmax no matter what. Works fine without the FSX gamepack.

I'll probably just install Win7.

Thanks.

Try with the OpenGL driver, compatibilty "none".

The Material Navigator is badly managed by Win10 in DirectX, that is why the SDK of FsX is not any more a part of compatible Win10 software (Microsoft).

Hi,

A frend of mine has installed the last update of Windows 10 and ...
when you launch the Material Editor of Gmax and a new project : It runs now !

Just a little pop-up when you quit Gmax is annoying the situation.

Just two word: you must run as Admin and tag the exe with Seven compatibility.

Isolating "gmax_MaxUtils.gup" and "gmax_MaxXML.gup" shows my model all black but Material Navigator works well. Obviously these files are related to MN.
Has someone found the solution?

Do you have GMAX installed into any Program Files folder? If so, I doubt there is much you can do other than uninstall - install outside those folders?

Same problem here with the Material Navigator (the editor works) on Windows 10 x64.

- Works with the FS9 gamepack, but not with the FSX one
- GMax locks up when opening the material navigator from either the material editor or the material browser icon from the toolbar
- Reinstalling the FSX gamepack, for what it was worth, did not work
- None of the compatibility modes work
- File/folder permissions are not an issue

GMax will also lock up when using the dropdown list in the "File -> Open" menu, so I guess the two issues are connected.

Frustrating. I still have bodies in GMax' basement that I want to get rid of.

- Edit:

I've managed to isolate the nasty files. "gmax_MaxUtils.gup" and "gmax_MaxXML.gup". The presence of either will make the material navigator crash.
This was the fix Thanks so much

I have Win10 N installed and all what I know
I have no comp Modus activated
but I have deactivated UAC....
and my FSX GMAX Material Editor and Material Navigator runs fine.

I have Win10 N installed and all what I know
I have no comp Modus activated
but I have deactivated UAC....
and my FSX GMAX Material Editor and Material Navigator runs fine.
I commented above but later found out I lost my fsx tools. Can you explain what you are saying about (I have no comp Modus activated
but I have deactivated UAC...) I am not sure what to change to fix mine. Thank you in advance :)

As Tom suggested above, I simply uninstalled GMax from my C: drive (where UAC was creating difficulty) and re-installed it on my D: Drive (which, apparently, UAC doesn't care about). Full Gmax functionality returned.

Don

I'm not too sure that this is going to be a solution for everyone -- I originally installed GMAX outside any UAC-controlled folders, and I do have the Material Navigator problem since Windows 10.

I have managed to get by without it, but it is a nuisance!

(For my own 'Material Navigator', when things get complicated I include a row of boxes with the different base materials -- so I can just 'pick' the texture from the appropriate box.)

As Tom suggested above, I simply uninstalled GMax from my C: drive (where UAC was creating difficulty) and re-installed it on my D: Drive (which, apparently, UAC doesn't care about). Full Gmax functionality returned.

Don
I uninstalled Gmax and put it on my J drive and now the shortcut inside FSX game packs doesn't work. Just wish I was smarter

I have installed complete GMAX not on C: - I have it on D:

(I have no comp Modus activated but I have deactivated UAC...)
I mean: I have no compatibility modus active - and I have deactivated the User Account Control

Has anyone yet "cracked the code" to make the FSX gamepack Material Navigator run on a Win10/64 system? I appreciate it apparently runs on some such systems, which suggest there's either something on those systems that's not on mine or, conversely, something on my system that is preventing the Material Navigator from opening.

One user reported the two .gup files in the Plugins folder are at fault and, yes, if those two files are omitted, the Material Navigator opens normally - but the Smooth + Highlights mode becomes useless. One can continue to work in the wireframe mode, but this is not ideal.

Looking back in this thread, I reported some months ago that I did have it working. But, I seem to "have lost the recipe". I've done a major cleanup of my system a while back - getting rid of some old files that seemed no longer of use. Perhaps the recipe was in one of those deleted files.

Don

Back