• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

GMax plugin for FsX

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks for the update, those few extra days of waiting should not be such a big problem. In the past we had to wait months for any SDK to appear :D.

Country
us-washington
Okay, so "next week" was a little premature.

I promise we're still working on the Gmax SDK. In fact it's all some of us have been doing since we shipped FSX. There's so much new stuff to incorporate, but it's coming along well. We've got models exporting right now and all the script tools are working as well, we're just working through a few bugs. We should have something very soon.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks a lot for the update Adrian. I am sure we are willing to wait a few more days if that means less bugs in the gamepack :D.

Country
norway
As long as I know it is being worked on I am certainly willing to wait a few days extra :)

Just take the time you need to get rid of as many bugs as possible ;)

Country
us-kentucky
Yes, no rush, you guys are doing a great job... and we have lots to learn with what we have on hand now, haha.

The possibilities seem endless now. :D

Country
us-texas
The update is appreciated.

I have a question though...

I thought the purpose of the .x file was for standardization? I realize Gmax is free, but there are other tools like FSDS3 (flight-sim specific) or Blender (OSS and free) which could be good alternatives to Max.

Is it too much work to have the XtoMDL tool accomodate the use of other tools?

Thanks,

J

Country
unitedkingdom
Blender -> MDL

thought the purpose of the .x file was for standardization?
XToMDL seems to handle and expect a whole bunch of undocumented FSX-specific extensions (eg "FS10Material") in the .x file, so it can't really be said to be standardised. However...

... or Blender (OSS and free) which could be good alternatives to Max.
I've tried Blender - FSX XToMDL will compile a model exported as a DirectX .x file from Blender, but:
- You have to manually add the GUID to the .x file after export, eg:
Code:
template GuidToName {
 <7419dfe5-b73a-4d66-98d8-c082591dc9e7>
 STRING Guid;
 STRING Name;
}
GuidToName {
	"{D6AB5508-A117-49a3-9F14-04D17B2223B1}";
	"Platform";
}
- Normals appear to be incorrect.
- You can only set basic material properties - ie ambient and specular - not additional (FSX-specific?) properties like Alpha blend modes.
- You can't do animations.
- No doubt other features are missing.

But this does suggest that it should be possible to write a Blender exporter for FSX, based on the existing DirectX exporter.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If we know enough about the FsX specific parts of the X file, I think it should indeed be not very hard to write an exporter for other tools that creates the proper X file for XtoMDL.

Country
germany
is there a chance that we could use our beloved planes with textures for groundpolys :confused:

read you...
Migh

Last edited:
Country
puertorico
Is it too much work to have the XtoMDL tool accomodate the use of other tools?

Thanks,

J

My take on it is that it is the job of the toolmaker (and or tool user community) to create a standard FS-X X file that the XtoMDL.exe program can use.

In essence, Microsoft provides the "specification" as to what it needs as an input into XtoMDL, and the interested party (Abacus for FSDS; the user community for Blender; Microsoft itself for 3DSMAx and gMax; etc.) creates the necessary converter/tools to create and feed that special X file input.

*Right now* you can use the output from gmax and the X file from FSDS3 to create a static, non-animated object in FS-X. If that's all you need (for now), fine. I expect that somtime before the end of this month we should start seeing made-for-FSX animated models not made with 3DSMax. (hehe just waiting for the new SDKs, and I'm sure some die hard FSDS luddites will start hacking the X file into XtoMDL input!)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
is there a chance that we could use our beloved planes with textures for groundpolys :confused:

I would say no. It is not a problem of the gamepack that the ground polygons don't work as we want, it is a problem of the MDL format itself. So I expect we would still have to use the Fs2002 gamepack for that (or switch to the XML code of BGLComp).

Country
puertorico
Who cares whether FS-X is out and has (or doesn't have) bugs, that's just a game!!!! We all know that the important things are the SDKs!!!

Country
us-florida
Ok, well I guess this thread answers my post in another thread.

And I too have been checking twice an hour every day for weeks on FSinsider.com.

Count me among those who are becoming very familiar with Bruce Artwick's face. Not so much for the Gmax tools, since I've converted my project to 3DS Max and already have the export tools - but I keep hoping to find some documentation. Exporting to FSX is a whole nother beast compared to 9. There are about a million options. All of which will no doubt go towards creating some great work in the near future...but right now there are a lot of people sitting around scratching their heads.
________
PRILOSEC CLASS ACTION

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
???

I'm somewhat confused... late in the life of FS9, I bought FSDS3 to try my hand at modeling (it is tedious and slow-moving work...). For background, my earliest attempts at modeling content in MSFS include the use of such oldies as:

Airport and Scenery Designer
Apollo Flight Shop
Aircraft Factory 99

I got a little frustrated with FSDS3 and put it down about 9 months ago. I've tried gMax using a book on the topic I found about 3 years ago, but I didn't progress far then.

This takes me to a point I made earlier in the thread...

What of the inexpensive tools for modeling and content creation in FSX? The current version of Max is at 9 and Max costs thousands of $$$. I can see an accomplished payware developer recouping that cost, but not for average joe... You guys using "hot" copies or something?

Even though gMax is included in the distribution for the SDK with FSX Pro, I understand gMax to be a dead-end product? Look at my list of "old" tools above - do we need yet another dead-end product?

Does the way forward require that we all purchase top-dollar tools like Max? I truly hope something like Blender is supported soon. I don't mind buying another version of FSDS which supports FSX, but my brief research into the matter suggests that FSDS is not nearly as mature as the other tools being used; even not as mature as gMax.

As we await the release of the "real" SDK for SimObjects design, I wonder what the future of modeling tools is? I'd rather buy a modeling tool from MS, which would be available to use at extra cost, rather than see waxing and waning support for external tools. I wonder if the other divisions of Microsofts's game studios are all using Max?

Again, Max is just too expensive for joe average (unless we pirate it) and I somehow don't "trust" the longevity of gMax. FSDS seems to lag far behind the curve. The way forward seems cloudy for these reasons.

I have a project I want to get serious about and I now wonder which tool to invest time into?

Sorry for rambling, I'm just concerned about how joe-average can get into things. I've been following the WikiBook "Blender:Noob to Pro" and hope that I can just invest time into learning blender.