• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Hamilton Island (YBHM)

Country
australia
Introducing Hamilton Island, your gateway to discover the Whitsundays. YBHM is approximately 900km north of Brisbane and 500km south of Cairns, with short direct flights from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Cairns.

More previews soon :)

1.png
2.png
3.png

Country
france
Nice, is it a custom WaterMask? :)

I loved this Airport on FSX with the AAA Addon, any plans making all Whitesundays airports? :)

Country
australia
Thanks!

I'm still experimenting with the options for watermasking actually, pictured is exposed imagery. No plans for all the Whitsunday airports at the moment, just Hamilton/Dent Island and I'll improve Whitehaven beach.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
This looks great. Nice work.

By the way, i'm just wondering if you had any pointers on the water masking process you could share as I'm struggling with this. I can build my project but when I check the scenery in the editor it tells me "Biome not found" and I have been trying to reverse engineer the issue with some luck but I'm sure that I'm missing something, any chance for a sample water masking package for me to compare with?

Country
australia
Just picked up Aldinga and decided to grab Southport because of your generosity. I am looking forward to this one now.

Country
australia
Development Update – Hamilton Island (YBHM) for MSFS

With the release of Lord Howe Island right around the corner we are excited to say that Hamilton Island will be the next release! Just have a look at how amazing the Island looks with watermasking! Hamilton and Dent Island are covered by 1m DEM data along with a 7.5cm Orthoimage

Behind the scenes we have been busy and have a number of assets ready for placement, you can expect to see more Hamilton Island previews in the near future.
Hamilton1fsd.png

Country
germany
I'm also interested in the watermasking. All sceneries that I know use some workarounds to give the illusion of a watermask, like semitransparent textures placed a few inches above the water surface, which looks good from above but isn't suitable for e.g. water landings with a seaplane. So if you found a proper way to create real watermasks like in the old FSX days it would be great if you shared your experience.

Country
australia
We didn't use a work around as MS recently added water masking for the Whitsundays, this along with our 7.5cm imagery produces some amazing results :)

Country
germany
Good news, the area is so beautiful and the water masks will surely improve an already fantastic scenery. Sad though that Asobo / MS don't let developers create their own water masks, my Tonga Islands sceneries are surrounded by beautiful coral reefs that unfortunately are hidden beneath the water and the only way to make them show up is to completely remove the water surrounding the islands. I guess it would take years for Asobo to create water masks for every tiny island on the planet....