• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How should I make this corner?

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thank you all for your help! I'm now working on the edges, I'll have to solve an issue with the vetexes since I get some weird black markings in the corners of the edge shape but I'm glad progress is good now! Thanks ;)

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
This is the ground poly for ZBAA from my method.

ZBAAgroundpoly_zpsotgfufxr.jpg

Last edited:
Country
russia
As I mentioned before that Im not about the speed at all, I wouldn't care the speedy modelling at all, at all ! To me it would take 2-3 hours or 10 hours if necessary.
Furthermore it is not all about speedy modelling competition here.
I care quality, not the end result quality but both, starting from a pencil (3D editor) you draw with, then object it self (its architecture) and then result.
So it is up to creator what to chose from whether be happy on all stages or speedy with no care.. Speedy no care method reminds me planned economy of the USSR back in time... When car manufacturers made cars for 3 years no longer lasting stuff...
For example Tic's method wont pass TS Checkmate Pro, no matter low or high poly. Your Source may cost couple of thousands after it gets exhausted on a simmarket.

Cheers..

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
We're losing sight of the end goal here, a finished piece of FS scenery...

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
We're losing sight of the end goal here, a finished piece of FS scenery...

Exactly... I don't really care much about how long it takes, but more about the quality it will give me....
This is what I got so far... I'm really awful at texturing (even worse then at modeling building or even ground poly's) so it's still a long way from fs....

Capture5_zpsrg2vifcf.jpg

Its stupid how many of these questions produce an argument between folks that have gotten comfortable with a specific way of using max. You guys should avoid a second post supporting your way, once you've offered it. Its a mistake I made once, and regretted it, getting snarky just like you guys in this thread. It doesn't help the OM. Options are ok....snark is not.

I suspect we are all somewhat proud of our progress with max, and trying to show who's who....lets not, in the end, no one cares how capable I am, or you are. They just want their question answered.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I am sorry if I wrote sounds offensive. I just deleted it.
I apologize for that.

Please relax, fsfox, whatever method if you are familiar with is the best, no doubt about it. I keep telling you that all the time if you read back all my replies.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I am sorry if I wrote sounds offensive. I just deleted it.
I apologize for that.

Please relax, fsfox, whatever method if you are familiar with is the best, no doubt about it. I keep telling you that all the time if you read back all my replies.

That's okay I don't mind that much... As you can see it has worked out well (everything is relative, right?) however now I'm gonna have to texture it now...

Country
russia
I'm calmer than anyone else here, Tic. I have plenty of time to enjoy modelling. "Relax" would be relative to the heavy rush past somebody.. But Im not.
As I noticed that the modelling is one thing what ever way you do it, another thing is texturing that consumes triple time of the modelling or even more than that.
I would really appreciate if you would make a tutorial on how to get texturing quick.
Bill's method is absolutely fine, 4 layers for the small runway.. Fast.. But when it gets as big as yours, airport with loads of colours, surface repairs, old and new markings, different edges of the all entire airport site..Noise is never the same all over the airport.. etc..
Apart of modelling so many newbies are bad at their 2D (PS or GIMP).
So I suggest to make one, fast and effective. ;)

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
But when it gets as big as yours, airport with loads of colours, surface repairs, old and new markings, different edges of the all entire airport site..Noise is never the same all over the airport.. etc..
Apart of modelling so many newbies are bad at their 2D (PS or GIMP).
So I suggest to make one, fast and effective. ;)

I agree, I'd love to see a tutorial on that. Because texturing EDDL will be a pain... Most of it is concrete plates with sam parts in different colors.... I mean like tire markings and such are pritty straught forward. Just some markings on an aplha, get a plane in Gmax and then just put it on.
But the main texture is just difficult...

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
According to Bill's tutorial, he included the edge to the texture of the runway and taxiway. I used to do that in my previous airport (VTSP and VTSM).

I don't know either how to map the texture along the taxiway that is not straight. Mapping along the curve like that will make the texture stretch along the longer curve. This is the main reason use seamless texture and map on single big ground poly Then I use separate texture for the edge mapping on another groundpoly of the edges.

Country
unitedkingdom
Edges are a way to quickly quadruple the vert count. I just the noise overlay extended and blended slightly off of the asphalt. It really softens the edges. For a small airport edges are fine I guess.

If I used them at my current airport (KBNA) it'd probably add about 60k verts (at least). With my noise overlay, less than a hundred. And it looks great.

Foxy, how about making a tutorial on how to do it properly then with the quad method so we can all know eh?

Last edited:
Country
russia
That is the trouble Shaun, noise overlay will make it soften, I would say blend over to the grass in some way.. I just cannot imagine how.. If you could give us a visual example of your idea to get so many polys down ?
Look, Both sides have asphalt noise (dirt, oil, wear, something else... ) Left (1) is the thing what user is looking for, Right (2) I couldn't get it done with noise..
e7BHdPT.png

The point that escapes us all, now and then, is that we know what we know largely because of the errors we've made or the blind alleys we've run headlong into. Those errors taught us a lot, and provided context for learning. We don't really do others a favor by showing them methods that will only become clear are better at a later date. Even if the learner believes deeply that you are correct, and imitates you completely, what he arrives at will be a shallow version of you, because his actions won't be surrounded by the context you learned by making mistakes.

I see an effort to instill a quad mentality. Certainly critical for high poly modelling. Not very interesting to flight sim scenery modelling. I provided content for years without even hearing about quads. Then I turned to high poly modelling and began to focus on quads as a necessity. There may or may not become a time the OP becomes interested in quads, but working with messy topology now will not create a blockage for learning about quads later.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I use edge with the texture of asphalt and radial lines. So I need not to do radial lines and place it individually.
Honestly, I don't pay attention much about how many vertices it has to be. I used to do that by collapsing some vertices together but I have seen no benefit by doing that. Ground poly with a lot of vertices has less effect to fps compare to 3d objects. You can experiment by putting your ground poly object in and out and see less impact on fps. WMKK ground poly is huge. It was built by this method and fps is still good. Nevertheless, less vertices is better than too many vertices. Amount of vertices is less trouble compare to numbers of texture sheets.
Shuan, your method sounds interesting. Would you mid explain with some pictures how to do that? It is hard to imagine by reading only.

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I personally think that we are discussing well on this, like a conference.....ha ha.

The point is: the kind of taxi way will lead to the way you choose how to do this task.
1. If your airport has taxiway that has no edge line, you can choose to have edge texture together with the taxi way asphalt. All are together like Bill's tutorial.

2. If your airport has taxiway with edge lines, double yellow and radial line. I think it is better to make edge separately. Since I can map on the edge texture that separated from the taxiway asphalt. It is much more difficult to map taxi way with asphalt and the edge texture together in one piece like Bill's tutorial. You can make lines with loft method or make rectangle for the radial line. But the work might be enormous.

VTBSgroundpolyRWY.jpg

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I was wondering if you guys face the problem of texture stretching on the outer curve and/or congregate on the inner curve if you have edge texture together with the rest of the taxiway. This is the reason why I take edge out of the rest of the taxiway and make seamless texture by my method. The edge will make less problem with mapping texture.