• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA index buffer

Country
us-washington
In FSDS what does it mean ................. index buffer exceeds maximum limit?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
It probably means that your model has too many of something. Try exporting part of your model?

Country
us-washington
Tom- Yes- I did remove a number of items and no longer got that error msg. But it bothers me if FSDS says I can't have more than X number of polygons! Rats! I have so much more to do. I'm screwed if I'm up against a polygon wall.
I'm just horsing around making a battleship ( not very damned good at it, but it's fair) I had to remove all the bofors guns and most of the anti-ac 20mm guns... very many of both. And much detail yet to put in.
I've been diligent as can be to remove polys not visible to keep down the poly count. we'll see. Thanx Bob

Country
ca-quebec
Hi,

For my first ship I made all the rail in 3D mode. But for the next ones I simply use transparent rail texture in tile mode and a simple cube. That drastically reduces the number of polygons!

Country
us-washington
I started doing that but took all of them out except one set. what hurt me was installing all the bofors guns and 20mm's. I took all out but one 5-set of 20mm's .... no error. I might be able to put some back, but I have a lot to go yet, so I know I'll go over the top again.
someone with one or two fellas did a nice pilotable BB 55 with animation, sound, etc. Puts me to shame. Mine isn't too bad but haven't done any animation yet, and no sound at all. Somehow they did it.... looks great too.

Tried to do smoke with smokestack and smokestack2 effect but after installing, exiting FSX and back in ... no smoke appeared. at first I though it had to do with difference in alt from water level to airport nearby at about 100 feet or better. Installed at another scenery and it worked. Then showing it to a friend I went out of FSX added a couple of items...no change in smoke effect... back into FSXD.... no smoke! I finally change to a different smoke effect and it's ok now. wonder if anything might be wrong with the smokestack effect. Oh well.

Taken out all extraneous polys and still I hit about 12k polys. Railings I will do as a trans. I can make a decent Bofors gun but again.... more polys.

Should be able to be done. A friend of mine has a huge transport aircraft static which sits about 25,000 + polys!!!! So I know 18k shouldn't be the limit. Ergo- I did something screwball here! ;) Bob

Country
ca-quebec
My Empress of Ireland had 28 300 polygones... and I am sure that it is not the limit.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
It might be that you are trying to include too many polygons that use the same material. Try making a copy of your main material, change it a tiny bit (some minor value), and assign that to all the extra parts that won't compile.

Country
us-washington
interesting idea, Tom. Anyway it does compile but error msg ... now it does but I'll check along the way. Most of these error mdgs I haven't a clue what they mean, but some I have figured out like non-planer polys... one's that are not on the same plane, etc. If I had a degree In geometry it might help
! hahaha

Empress of Ireland I would like to see. Sounds very nice.

Bob

Country
us-washington
I'll take a sneaky peak. Thanx, Jean-Pierre. Been working this AM and so far I have my animation on two radars... both using the same ambient (seems to work ok) and smoke is working on both stacks... a bit small smoke but it's ok. More anti-AC guns but no bofors guns yet. I don't have nearly the detail you guys have ... as yet but it's not too bad. . Bob

Country
us-washington
Jean-Piere, Your ships look wonderful! kudos!!!! So far- my BB 55 is trudging along... more detail, added some noise as per suggestion from Roby. Looks much better. fiddling with the bofors guns again.... we shall se! ;)

Country
netherlands
If you go ahead and try to compile, fsds ask if you want to go ahead or not. If you say yes the compile proces fails, if you say no it compiles without a flaw.

Cees

Country
us-washington
My BB55 turned out well. Anyway........ Cees - Most interesting! Are you sure your FSDS is NOT installed in program files (x86)? If so, get it out of there and reinstall elsewhere. I have mine as such.... I created a folder called Abacus and installed it there. i.e. C:\Abacus\FSDS etc.

Country
us-washington
Evidently it is not. You posted for some ideas or possibilities. I gave you a possibility... might be it - might not be. You say it works ok where it is. But then yo also state a problem you are having. Not logical is it?

I had a few problems until my mentor told me to do what I suggested to you. Problem solved.

FSDS often can exhibit this or that or another problem being in Program files(x86) - ... might do one odd thing... or a different odd behavior. Trying my suggestion above won't hurt anything. Might help, might not.

I had odd behavior From FSDS YEARS ago. reinstalled outside of program files (x86) and it fixed it. No problems whatsoever - that was many years ago.

You asked for help. I tried to help. You blew it off, saying your FSDS works ok where it is............. obviously it is not. Perhaps it may be a different solution, who knows?! Anyway.... tried to help.

Country
us-washington
If it works.........REAT. If not... who knows.... it might just be something very small.... a little tweak here or there. Let us know if you find something. Hope Scott Hendricks is around. He is the best chance for figuring things out for FSDS. He's our mentor. good people too.