FSX Jerky fan animations.

I am trying out my model in FSX and it has the classic jerky/shaky fan animations.
I have seen FSX models with completely smooth fan animations.

Is there a solution for the shaky fan animations ?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not quite sure what you been by "jerky fan" but assuming you want a change from the smooth linear animation, you'd simply have to apply more incoherrant keyframes. So instead of having the ussual 0 frames - 0 degrees, 25 frames - 90 degrees, 50 frames - 180 degrees, 75 frames - 270 degrees, 100 frames - 360 degrees you could for instance vary the frame numbers and/or degrees, this should make it "jerky"

I think I know what you're talking about Osian, and this has been frustrating me since day 1 as well. There are some FS9 models that show smoothly rotating fan blades that actually correspond to the N1 speed, but almost every native FSX model appears to have this instantaneous spin-up of engine fans.

This is the XML code for N1_0_still:

Code:
<PartInfo>
    <Name>N1_0_still</Name>
    <Copy>prop_anim</Copy>
    <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
          (A:ENG N1 RPM:1, percent) 6.25 &lt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    <Animation>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
           (A:ENG N1 RPM:1, percent) 0.01 &gt;
           if{ (A:GENERAL ENG RPM:1,degrees per second) (E:ABSOLUTE TIME, second) * 360 % 3.6 / }
           els{ 0 }
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Animation>
  </PartInfo>
...Which is essentially the same as the other 2 fan animations (N1_x_slow and N1_x_blurred) except for the visibility parameters that tell it when to play the animation.

And Tom, I've never tried making the animation sequence longer, but to make it 200 frames I assume that you would simply change "AnimLength" to 200 and modify the timeline in Max/Blender to suit, right? Logically this should make it spin at 1/2 speed and reduce the effect of "shimmering" or jerkiness, but I still haven't found a way to take its angular velocity directly from N1 percentage. Also, would doubling the denominator (3.6) in this code have the same effect?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Angular velocity is defined by the A: var (see unit).

Ditch the "3.6 /" as it cuts animation length from 360 to 100 frames, set the animation length tag to "360" and adjust the time thingy and the keyframes in Max/Blender accordingly.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Do these animations use Linear controllers? If still jerky, change the animations controllers to Smooth and then back to Linear.

Hang on let's determine if this is actually an issue with animation or with the sim. See I remember similar thing a number of years on aircraft I hadn't developed simply due to some lag of my system, how's the frame rate in the sim doing? Is it also constant?
Other than that I agree with Hairyspin on seeing what type of animation you are using.

My sim has about 20 to 25 frames, and when I try to make the animation linear blender just wont make the change, I am googling it but nothing comes up, the animations starts normal but slows down till the end of the animation.

euroastar350

Resource contributor
It's a common issue with FSX aircraft and beyond. Also affects propeller (piston and turbine), fan blades, helicopter rotors, tires/wheels. There are a few developers that have successfully implemented smooth rotating props, fan blades, wheels/tires on their aircraft and is something I want to do to my aircraft.

If you select the right object, open the graph editor, click on channel, under extrapolation mode select linear extrapolation and that should do it. Works like a charm when I tested this morning.

EDIT: for more details on this you might want to take a look here (https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/1579/how-do-i-make-animations-a-steady-speed)
Well I tried that and it still slows down in the end.

It's a common issue with FSX aircraft and beyond. Also affects propeller (piston and turbine), fan blades, helicopter rotors, tires/wheels. There are a few developers that have successfully implemented smooth rotating props, fan blades, wheels/tires on their aircraft and is something I want to do to my aircraft.
That's why I asked because I want the engines smooth too, especially with engines like the CFM leap :p

Heretic

Resource contributor
Still don't understand why everything has to be smooth nowadays. Smooth fuselages with a million polys, smooth animations with a million keyframes, smooth gauges with a million Hertz...

Heretic

Resource contributor
I can think of five million other things that improve immersion and are easily forgotten by a good part of other devs, such a switch sounds in the cockpit, going beyond the standard switches (even without producing a notable effect on actual aircraft systems), something to save the status of custom L: type variables and even just simple rain effects on the cockpit window.

Wasting resources on looks alone is kind of...shallow.

If you select the right object, open the graph editor, click on channel, under extrapolation mode select linear extrapolation and that should do it. Works like a charm when I tested this morning.

EDIT: for more details on this you might want to take a look here (https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/1579/how-do-i-make-animations-a-steady-speed)
hi,I want to make the model of the airplane with 3Ds Max, but the propeller can't rotate.According to the SDK, the propeller k 0-100 animated frames are generated.MDL file in P3D v3 airplane appears after the screw is not rotating, please consult a useful tutorial, teach me how to make the screw rotation, or making model planes or write. CFG file tutorials (SDK can only solve part. CFG)