• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Jerky fan animations.

Osian

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I am trying out my model in FSX and it has the classic jerky/shaky fan animations.
I have seen FSX models with completely smooth fan animations.

Is there a solution for the shaky fan animations ?

Thanks in advance.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'm not quite sure what you been by "jerky fan" but assuming you want a change from the smooth linear animation, you'd simply have to apply more incoherrant keyframes. So instead of having the ussual 0 frames - 0 degrees, 25 frames - 90 degrees, 50 frames - 180 degrees, 75 frames - 270 degrees, 100 frames - 360 degrees you could for instance vary the frame numbers and/or degrees, this should make it "jerky"

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Increase the total number of keyframes in the model and in the modeldef file until it's not jerky anymore. 100 is not enough.

Country
us-illinois
I think I know what you're talking about Osian, and this has been frustrating me since day 1 as well. There are some FS9 models that show smoothly rotating fan blades that actually correspond to the N1 speed, but almost every native FSX model appears to have this instantaneous spin-up of engine fans.

This is the XML code for N1_0_still:

Code:
<PartInfo>
    <Name>N1_0_still</Name>
    <Copy>prop_anim</Copy>
    <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
          (A:ENG N1 RPM:1, percent) 6.25 &lt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    <Animation>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
           (A:ENG N1 RPM:1, percent) 0.01 &gt;
           if{ (A:GENERAL ENG RPM:1,degrees per second) (E:ABSOLUTE TIME, second) * 360 % 3.6 / }
           els{ 0 }
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Animation>
  </PartInfo>

...Which is essentially the same as the other 2 fan animations (N1_x_slow and N1_x_blurred) except for the visibility parameters that tell it when to play the animation.

And Tom, I've never tried making the animation sequence longer, but to make it 200 frames I assume that you would simply change "AnimLength" to 200 and modify the timeline in Max/Blender to suit, right? Logically this should make it spin at 1/2 speed and reduce the effect of "shimmering" or jerkiness, but I still haven't found a way to take its angular velocity directly from N1 percentage. Also, would doubling the denominator (3.6) in this code have the same effect?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Angular velocity is defined by the A: var (see unit).

Ditch the "3.6 /" as it cuts animation length from 360 to 100 frames, set the animation length tag to "360" and adjust the time thingy and the keyframes in Max/Blender accordingly.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Do these animations use Linear controllers? If still jerky, change the animations controllers to Smooth and then back to Linear.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hang on let's determine if this is actually an issue with animation or with the sim. See I remember similar thing a number of years on aircraft I hadn't developed simply due to some lag of my system, how's the frame rate in the sim doing? Is it also constant?
Other than that I agree with Hairyspin on seeing what type of animation you are using.

Osian

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
My sim has about 20 to 25 frames, and when I try to make the animation linear blender just wont make the change, I am googling it but nothing comes up, the animations starts normal but slows down till the end of the animation.

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
It's a common issue with FSX aircraft and beyond. Also affects propeller (piston and turbine), fan blades, helicopter rotors, tires/wheels. There are a few developers that have successfully implemented smooth rotating props, fan blades, wheels/tires on their aircraft and is something I want to do to my aircraft.

Osian

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If you select the right object, open the graph editor, click on channel, under extrapolation mode select linear extrapolation and that should do it. Works like a charm when I tested this morning.

EDIT: for more details on this you might want to take a look here (https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/1579/how-do-i-make-animations-a-steady-speed)
Well I tried that and it still slows down in the end.

It's a common issue with FSX aircraft and beyond. Also affects propeller (piston and turbine), fan blades, helicopter rotors, tires/wheels. There are a few developers that have successfully implemented smooth rotating props, fan blades, wheels/tires on their aircraft and is something I want to do to my aircraft.
That's why I asked because I want the engines smooth too, especially with engines like the CFM leap :p

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Still don't understand why everything has to be smooth nowadays. Smooth fuselages with a million polys, smooth animations with a million keyframes, smooth gauges with a million Hertz...

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I can think of five million other things that improve immersion and are easily forgotten by a good part of other devs, such a switch sounds in the cockpit, going beyond the standard switches (even without producing a notable effect on actual aircraft systems), something to save the status of custom L: type variables and even just simple rain effects on the cockpit window.

Wasting resources on looks alone is kind of...shallow.

Country
china
If you select the right object, open the graph editor, click on channel, under extrapolation mode select linear extrapolation and that should do it. Works like a charm when I tested this morning.

EDIT: for more details on this you might want to take a look here (https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/1579/how-do-i-make-animations-a-steady-speed)
hi,I want to make the model of the airplane with 3Ds Max, but the propeller can't rotate.According to the SDK, the propeller k 0-100 animated frames are generated.MDL file in P3D v3 airplane appears after the screw is not rotating, please consult a useful tutorial, teach me how to make the screw rotation, or making model planes or write. CFG file tutorials (SDK can only solve part. CFG)