• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Land Class Question

Country
us-florida
This is just a info (for me) question - I am working on a airport project which has a fairly large land class polygon of the Conifer Boreal Forest. When checked in 'top down' view, the background is just as it should be, but when looked at in the normal flying view, there is a large portion of the area with no trees. This is a somewhat irregular shaped area and as far as I can tell there is no surface under this area. I have tried a couple of land class choices (all forest types) with the same results. Is this just the nature of the beast or am I missing something? This area without trees just looks naked!:) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred Z

Fred,
have you tried putting a building there (in the bare spot) to test?
can you upload a pic and let us see what you are not seeing in the sim, as i wonder if it could be an elevation issue

Glottis (Ray) The project is about 60% complete - roads, taxiways, runways, buildings and other details. I would have included a screen capture but I could not figure out how(?) Dumb, I guess. Give me a hint and I will post the pic.
Later,
Fred Z

PS - I told you I was dumb, just saw how.;)

Attachments

• 15FL test.JPG
    15FL test.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 264
Is this in the approach to a runway. I saw this working on Atlanta. No trees on the approach to RWY 28.

Ed and all, the area in question is all wooded (in real life) it just does not fill in. Here is a better angle for you to see what I mean. All the area center of pic shows the background for a forest - just no trees??
Thanks for any help.
Fred Z

Attachments

• 15FL test-1.JPG
    15FL test-1.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 262
Fred,
If it's possible could you attach you ad4 project file? I think that will make it easier to solve.
Ed

Ed, now I have to show you all my dirty laundry! ;)
It should be attached - have fun.
Fred Z

Attachments

• 15FL_ADEX_FCZ.ad4
    269.9 KB · Views: 88
Fred,
I attached a screenshot of your airport with the ground polygon bgl removed from the active scenery folder. As you can see the trees have returned. I thought maybe that might be the reason. Ground polygons suppress autogen in the general vicinity of where they are. I took a quick look at the GP manual and I don't see anything there that allows you to turn this off. Maybe Don will see this and comment further.
Ed

15FL.jpg

Ed, thanks for your effort. Usually I use the apron and vehicle choices for roads, driveways, and other types of pads, etc. but on my last scenery project, I ran out of apron segments and used the GP selections instead. Looks like it is back to the original method. Thanks for teaching me something new about ADE. I will make changes one item at a time, maybe I will get lucky and find the problem child. And I do this for the fun of it!! :rolleyes: Maybe Don will have a solution.
Thanks again.
Fred Z

Hi,

Look at the Group Size option when you compile the GP Polygon. From the manual:

Group Size (m.) - Instead of processing all GP objects as a single entity,
ADE_GP breaks up your GP objects into groups of the size you specify.
Primarily, this is a mechanism to minimize autogen suppression - by reducing
the size of the bounding boxes around your GP objects (see below). But, this
option is also helpful if all your GP objects are not at the same elevation; the
elevation of the objects in each group is set as the ground elevation at the
center of the group. As well, GP objects in a group are not processed by
FlightSim until the group is "in range", improving FPS.

Hope this helps,

Tom, thank you for your follow-up to my problem. It did not make any sense to me not to be able to use GP objects for things like driveways and pads in front of hangers and such. This will be good info for the future because I just finished changing all the GP items, except for three parking lot lines, to Aprons five minuets before I checked my e-mail on this subject. :rolleyes: BTW, the trees are back! I have not played much with GP items and I am still learning.............I guess you never stop. Thanks again Tom and Ed for all your time. I have to admit that this does keep me busy.:)
Later,
Fred Z

Tom, Ed, et all, again thanks for the help.........one question related to 'auto group' in the compile area - is there a suggested size to use? The stock ADE setup is for 10000 meters! Seems excessive.
Later,
Fred Z

You can always experiment with different group sizes and see what the effect is in FSX. I would start with say 5000 meters see what the results are and then adjust from there. It shouldn't take long as this is a setting that you can adjust when you compile.

Ed

Back