• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Max Defiant Project

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Current state of production report.

Wings are about ready to map.

I'm working on the top of the empennage to get the shape correct for the turret and canopy.

I had to remake the vertical stabilizer because I got it wrong to begin with. :banghead: Ignore this little head pounder, it's not really how I feel, just added it for comic value. :cool:

I'm trying to build this aircraft like the real thing so all the fairings are separate objects, this is very noticeable on the real aircraft. I found this method to be easier then trying to make them part of the overall structure. It has been difficult around the H and V stabs and I need to refine the wing fairings as can be seen in the images.

I'm just about ready for the first export into the sim but I'm not sure what I want to use for a base CFG and AIR file, any suggestions? Anybody have something for a starter? Don't forget this is strictly freeware.
I'm also wondering where I can get some good Merlin III or XX sounds.

Oh well I've bored you enough so on with the pictures. BTW, 8x10 autographed glossies are available upon request for a nominal fee, frames are extra, shipping charges are included.

[URL='http://postimg.org/image/v0ndp5o3h/'] [URL='http://postimg.org/image/6zghnp9a5/'] [URL='http://postimg.org/image/443egu5a5/'] [/URL][/URL][/URL]

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You're missing a trick there Paul, numbered limited editions are quite the thing.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Seeing as we live in a world where people pay money to get "special" aircraft paints for video games, without those paints having any effect at all, you could make special editions. But I don't think that's the mindset Paul uses when developing :p

It's looking great Paul! Those flaps looks awsome!

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Paul!

Very, Very Nice Modeling!!

I will be watching for this aircraft to be ready to fly. I want it in my hanger.

Kris:)

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi Paul!

Very, Very Nice Modeling!!

I will be watching for this aircraft to be ready to fly. I want it in my hanger.

Kris:)
To be sure Kris, you'll be one of the first kids on the block to take her for a spin.
I made the aircraft folder and trial export into the sim today. It's nice to make the first export without getting a bunch of errors but I'm sure they will come in time.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Without the turret, the Defiant could also pass for an IL-2 to the less trained eye.

Next step: Texture mapping?

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Without the turret, the Defiant could also pass for an IL-2 to the less trained eye.

Next step: Texture mapping?
Yes, with the fairings down I got the same impression, IL-2. I thought the fairings were lowered by the gunner but they are not. The fairings raised and lowered based on the position of the turret through a series of electrical connections so they were constantly moving up and down during active use of the turret.
I'm a long ways from textures. The exterior model needs a lot more work. The empennage and rear section of the fuselage are still splines while I try to finalize all the curves and molded fairings.
I've decided to go for the night fighter version.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
Unfortunately the Defiant was a disaster. It has some success in May 1940 when it had an element of surprise but had to be withdrawn in June 1940 when the Luftwaffe got its measure.

"The Me109 showed its superiority in speed, even the Bf110 was to outperform the Defiant which was now doomed to failure. They were to become death traps for their crews, incapable of dog fighting, and they became far too slow in getting away from the incoming enemy."

http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/0009.html

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Unfortunately the Defiant was a disaster. It has some success in May 1940 when it had an element of surprise but had to be withdrawn in June 1940 when the Luftwaffe got its measure.

"The Me109 showed its superiority in speed, even the Bf110 was to outperform the Defiant which was now doomed to failure. They were to become death traps for their crews, incapable of dog fighting, and they became far too slow in getting away from the incoming enemy."

http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/0009.html
Absolutely! All the turret fighters were destined to failure except maybe for the Northrop P-61.
The Defiant was not the iconic aircraft that the Spitfire and Hurricane were but a lot of brave men fought and died in them. It did have a few moments in the Sun though.
I chose the Defiant because it was part of the Battle of Britain and has largely been forgotten also I noticed no one is making one for FS.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
As a bomber destroyer, and especially as night fighter, it was quite a useful aircraft until radar-equipped Beaufighters came into service. Giving them a day fighter role was appallingly misjudged.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
As a bomber destroyer, and especially as night fighter, it was quite a useful aircraft until radar-equipped Beaufighters came into service. Giving them a day fighter role was appallingly misjudged.

But the RAF actually needed effective intercepters in 1940 - thank god for the Hurricane and later the Spitfire

Country
us-california
Capture.JPG

Okay, so that you don't delete your post out from under my reply to it like you just did...

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD. All your questions (including the other one you ask on everything I see you post to here and elsewhere) will be answered.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
A little update on the state of the model.

I am almost done with the exterior model and will start mapping in earnest very soon. A few more animations need to be tagged and some minor details modeled on the fuselage.

I have the model in both FSXA and P3Dv2.5 with preliminary work on the FDs started. Still a tremendous amount of work to be done but there is progress.

For those interested here is the count.
Polys: 53,062
Tris: 105,102
Verts: 54,211

I hope you like the pictures.