• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Model Converter X - Export Object Problem - FSX Library

Hi,
I could not find this problem anywhere in the forum.

My newest version of Model Converter X (Dated 20161228) has problems exporting library objects as 3ds.
Specifically, the library is "vehicles_land.bgl", and any object in that library will give the same error.

I did click on "Send" the error report but I am not sure it went, I hope it did. I did not try other libraries.

So, I went back to the previous Model Converter X (Dated 20161112) and that one works fine.

If someone knows why the problem is occurring, please let me know.

Thanks

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

The version dated 1/20/2017 exports the red car (object #1) fine for me (FSX). But it did give me a warning about the C++ Redistributable Libraries, which I have already installed.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I guess your error is about the assimp64.dll not loading fine. Install the Visual C++ 2015 redistributables and exporting should work again.

In later builds I have added a check for this dependancy, but that gives some false positive warnings that I still need to fix.

Hi, Tom and Arno
I just downloaded the lastest one, must have come on line in the last day or so. It tells me the version is 1.4.0.0 e703899. Then it says DEV 29-Jan-17, but that is today's date and I am not sure that is when you published, Arno.

Before I go get the Vusual C++ 2015 I'd like to know why I should, considering that Model Converter X Version 1.4.0.0 6b86018 DEV 04-Nov-16 works so well, no errors, exports everything. Guys, I am not questioning your replies, I am just concerned that the previous version is fine and all of a sudden the new ones have trouble. Are you still recommending me to mess with C++ resistrubutables?

Thanks

tgibson

Resource contributor
I'm giving the dates that display when I press the little ? in the upper right corner of MCX. The version of MCX I have is 1/20/2017 and it does create a 3DS file from that library for me.

Hi, Arno
Before I forget, does Model Converter x wants to see the X64 or the X86 version of Visua C++?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Since November last year I have added new features that rely on a library that is compiled with Visual Studio. Therefore there is now a requirement to have the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable installed as well. And I would not consider this messing with files, this is a common requirement for software.

If you are running 64 bit MCX, you need to get the 64 version of the redistributable. And if you are running 32 bit MCX, you need to get the 32 bit version.

Hi, Arno, Now I am in trouble. I didn't know there were two of them, 32 and 64. I always go to where the "update" takes me, and there is only one there. There is the scenProc download in the same page with the 32/64 option, but I don't know if or how that relates to Model Converter X. I know what Windows I have.
Can you give me a bit more info on that?
Thanks

Pyscen

Resource contributor
What Windows are you running? Is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

I'm assuming here but depending on the Windows bit structure will tell MCX which to use,... right Arno?

Last edited:
OK, Arno, and Tom, I installed the Visual C++ and Model Convert X that I downloaded last (1.4.0.0 e703899) started exporting the 3ds files, but gmax doesn't accept them, saying the file is of "Improper file format". Let me say again that the November Model Converter X works just perfect, and gmax opens the 3ds files for the same objects without any problems at all.

Any other clues for me? Thanks, guys.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

MCX indeed uses 64 bit if your Windows is 64 bit. The download is the same for both versions.

Can you load the 3ds file back into MCX successfully?

I changed the way 3ds files are written to fix that gmax issue, but for some objects it doesn't seem to work (yet).

OK, Arno and Doug, here go the answers. I updated to the January version (1.4.0.0 e703899) and copied the two dll files from the 64 folder into the main MCX folder. I am guessing that that is the way to do it.

Then, with this latest MCX, I opened the FSX library vehicles_land.bgl (I think it is in Scenery\Global\Scenery).

Then I opened several (about 20 of them) of the vehicles. After installing the Visual C++ the export as a 3ds worked. But when I try to get gmax to Import any of them, they all give me the same error: Improper file format.

I can import back the 3ds file into MCX, no problem. BUT if I re-export it, it still doesn't import into gmax.

BUT one extra detail: If I import the 3ds into the older MCX and export it, then gmax opens it, but all the LODs are merged into LOD 100 and the thing becomes impossible to edit, to take the unwanted things like headlights, taillights, etc.

And, as I said, the November version works just perfect from import to opening in gmax.

Fingers crossed here.

Thanks, fellows.

Fern

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Fern,

Which dll files did you copy? You should not have to move dll files around.

Can you load back the 3ds files in MCX successfully?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

Since you say you can import them back into MCX, try this:

1. Import your BGL file.
2. Export object as 3DS.
3. Import back into MCX.
4. Export AGAIN as 3DS.
5. Try loading into GMAX.

Hope this helps,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I'll try to reproduce it here. I assume it happens with any object from the bgl?

Hi Fern
have you realized that ModelconverterX has two 3ds Formats to export?
I have tested "3ds Max" export in ModelconverterX and i got the error in Gmax as i import the 3ds file.
Then i try "3ds Max (old)" export in ModelconverterX and i can import to Gmax without errors and LOD seems also OK.
Inside the Attachment "VEH_Land_car_stationwagon2_red.3DS" "VEH_Land_car_stationwagon2_red.mdl" from "vehicles_land.bgl"
Sorry for my English i Hope you can understand.

Attachments

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I have tested it now and I can reproduce the issue. Actually it seems GMax can't import any of the 3DS files made now. Which is weird, as SketchUp and Blender can read them fine. I'm getting the impression that the GMax 3DS import functionality is very fussy and specific. If I can figure out what the requirement is, I might be able to export the 3DS file differently.

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier, I don't test with GMax so often. Since the files load fine back in MCX and Blender I had the impression the format should be fine.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

OK, I tried with the 1/28/2017 version and I also cannot get an exported 3DS file loaded into GMAX. I have been using an old version that doesn't require the Visual C++ files and thus didn't see this problem either.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The intention was to remove the old code in the near future. But as long as the gmax import is not solved it will stay of course.