• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New Members - Please Read Before You Register

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
We welcome all comers with an interest in FS Development to this forum. All new registrations are approved by the admin team. This reduces the risk of spammers getting access to the site. At one time we had up to 300 attempts per day.

We carry out a number of checks before approving registrations which for obvious reasons are not in the public domain. However to help us with the process please be sure to complete some minimum data with your registration. Failure to do so may result in your registration being rejected or delayed while we contact you for information. At a minimum:
  • Enter your user name and email address on the User Essentials tab
  • On the Personal Details tab please indicate your gender, your location and your country.
  • On the Preferences Tab please indicate your time zone
This information along with our checks will make it easier and quicker for you to get access to post on the site.

Please note that because we approve new members manually that registering will not give you access to post on the site. This is only available once we process the registration. We do get emails from folks saying why can't I post. You will receive an email from us as soon as your registration is processed but please bear in mind that it can take a little while depending on the time zone.

Please also take the time to read our 'rules' We are an open and friendly community but we do enforce our rules which can be read here: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/index.php?pages/rules/

Thank you for your co-operation and we look forward to welcoming you to FS Developer

New users have to be approved now? Is there any kind of plugin for the forum software that could prevent spam? I think we will loose a lot of potential users if the registration has to be approved.

New users have to be approved now? Is there any kind of plugin for the forum software that could prevent spam? I think we will loose a lot of potential users if the registration has to be approved.

We have been manually approving new users for the past year or so without any problems. There are plugins that help us to spot spammers but we still do it manually since it is possible to circumvent some of the checks - obviously I am not going to say how. Suffice to say that we do know how to spot a spammer and they are wasting their time - so if any of them are watching then please go some place else because you will be found out here

Why should potential members be lost if they have to be approved - what have they to hide?

Why should potential members be lost if they have to be approved - what have they to hide?

I would say that we get an email from genuine new members if the process is delayed. Once or twice we have rejected people and they have emailed and asked why. As I said earlier we can generally tell is someone is genuine or not and we do have some tools as well. A lot of forums and sites require admin approval and I don't think it puts people off.

A lot of times I don't bother signing up for a forum that I have to be approved for. I just decide that I'll find the solution to problems myself. I don't know why, maybe I'm just impatient and I probably waste more time trying to figure things out myself than waiting to be approved on a forum. I assumed that many other people do the same thing, but maybe I'm the only person who does that.

I am sure you are not the only person and, of course, we may lose potential members without knowing it. However in balance we do need to do our best to protect the community from spammers.

I suppose it depends on what kind of membership you are trying to attract. I would suggest (with, I admit, no evidence to back it up - so take this a opinion) that many will lurk on a forum for some time, held there by the quality of content they see until a need for information that they feel could be met by the membership or a conversation that interests them prompts them to chose to join in. At that point, provided that the enrolment process is not onerous they'll do whatever is required and (on the "best" sites) it is not unusual to have to go through a human approval process.

I can think of just one site that I tried to join but abandoned - because the process didn't actually work and the application was ignored. One I left because they were obsessed with publishing personally identifiable info.

All seems a bit of a storm in a teacup to me...

Z

How did this thread come up as part of "New Posts" given that the last post was made April 17, 2015? :rolleyes:

Well I clicked on it because it was highlighted as a new post. But, that was because you had posted..... or was it?

You couldn't just ignore it could you Bill! Now everyone will get sucked into this black hole. :eek:

You may be interested to know that we have just received a new user request from someone who claims to have been born in 1911. I do realize that flight simming encompasses wide range of folks but that in combination with other factors suggests a slightly dodgy registration attempt :)

You may be interested to know that we have just received a new user request from someone who claims to have been born in 1911. I do realize that flight simming encompasses wide range of folks but that in combination with other factors suggests a slightly dodgy registration attempt :)
Oh, I have to know, where is the place of residence for this decagenarian? What if it's legitimate? Too young to serve in The Great War but old enough to appreciate those flying machines. Old enough to serve in WWII and see some really nice aircraft in action. Or it could be a child that made a mistake and meant 2011, the keyboard is tough for a four-year-old. :p

Oh, I have to know, where is the place of residence for this decagenarian? What if it's legitimate? Too young to serve in The Great War but old enough to appreciate those flying machines. Old enough to serve in WWII and see some really nice aircraft in action. Or it could be a child that made a mistake and meant 2011, the keyboard is tough for a four-year-old. :p

Or someone who didn't bother putting his real date of birth in the form... (with the thought a minimum age might for some reason be needed).
And you don't need to put a residence in, I remember not filling it in myself ;)

Well there is of course an outside chance it is legitimate or more likely a typo. As to place of residence - well I can't report that just in case we get a complaint of descrimination about rejecting a senior citizen

Or someone who didn't bother putting his real date of birth in the form... (with the thought a minimum age might for some reason be needed).
And you don't need to put a residence in, I remember not filling it in myself ;)

Well now it seems then that you might not be a legitimate member of the community :eek: I am going to check now ;)

Back