• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Pitcairn Islands - Complete Scenery

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
Hello!

After a 3 week hiatus from scenery development due to real life, I am pleased to announce the impending release of a small project I developed these last 2 days, which also served as a 'small change of scenery' from my so far year and a half long development of Portugal VFR. In line with my previously developed scenery for the Tokelau Islands, this one is also of a tropical archipelago: The Pitcairn Islands!

pitcairn.jpg

These are a group of 4 islands (1 volcanic, 1 coral reef and 2 atolls) which make up the only British Overseas Territory in the Pacific Ocean. Located in the SE Pacific, the islands form the least populous national jurisdiction in the world, with an estimated 50 inhabitants all living in Adamstown on Pitcairn Island proper (pictured above).

The scenery is essentially a much more detailed rendition of these, as they are present in the default FS2004 scenery. Unfortunately the only thing missing is relevant mesh for Pitcairn Island itself, since of the other 3 islands, 2 are flat (the atolls), and Henderson island has a freeware mesh available for download (which will be linked to/explained in the project's documentation). The only mesh available that I am aware of is the Pilot's FS Global 2010 payware mesh, as that's what I have and used to create the scenery on. If you know of any other alternatives or know how to create mesh and would be willing to do it yourself for this project please reply here or send me a PM for the latter!

As no air transport exists in this part of the world, fictional ACFADs were created for better exploring it. All include a Water landing area, and a small sand strip also exists on Ducie Island (the only one with geographic features that could realistically have one).

And now for some pictures of the scenery itself!

Pitcairn_3.PNG Pitcairn_1.PNG
Pitcairn Island viewed from the North and from the South respectively. Note Adamstown settlement on the first picture, and a close up of the Island's Radio/Weather Station on the second.

Oeno.PNG
Oeno Island Atoll

Henderson.PNG
Henderson Island, a raised coral island which accounts for 86% of the total land area of the territory and an important ecological reserve.

Ducie.PNG Ducie_Final.PNG
Ducie Island Atoll. Short final from the cockpit for the sand airstrip.

I hope you're all excited for the scenery as I was while making it! :)
It is essentially finished, with only some minor polishing needed here and there. The most important thing missing is to have it beta tested by anyone other than me, to confirm that people can install the scenery and have it showing up correctly in their sim!
So I would ask for any volunteers to send me a PM please!

Last edited:

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hey Leonardo,
I'm just curious: what drove you to make the Pitcairn island? Did you watch too many Bounty movies? :D

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
Hey Leonardo,
I'm just curious: what drove you to make the Pitcairn island? Did you watch too many Bounty movies? :D
Hey Vitus,

Not exactly haha :p
What drove me to make this were the same things that drove me to make a scenery of the Tokelau Islands I guess, a combination of love for tropical islands and a fascination with obscure remote places of the World :)

Country
switzerland
What about trying to create a photoreal scenery? I think that would look much better than the standard FS2004 textures...

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
What about trying to create a photoreal scenery? I think that would look much better than the standard FS2004 textures...

I understand that photoreal is usually the way to go on these sorts of projects, however as I mentioned in my Tokelau scenery project's thread (where someone, not sure if you also suggested photoreal textures), I'm not that fond of it; mainly due to the loss of autogen which is more important to me than ground textures. Also finding seasonal & day/night textures for this part of the world is very difficult if not outright impossible...

I do appreciate your interest in the project though! :)

Cheers

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
Just checking in to ask once more if anyone is willing to help me out by beta testing this scenery on their sim before I release it?

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
No beta testers required anymore; file has been uploaded to Avsim & FlightSim libraries. I'll post here again when they're available for download!