• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Placing a perimeter fence

Country
norway
Hi!

Anybody know if there's a easy way to place down a perimeter fence? The only solution I have found atm. is to place down a fence scenery object one after the other, which is very cumbersome :/

Cheers!

Country
peru
I dont think theres the capability for it yet, no handcrafted airport features such a think afaik (just a collection of smaller fences

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi!

Anybody know if there's a easy way to place down a perimeter fence? The only solution I have found atm. is to place down a fence scenery object one after the other, which is very cumbersome :/

Cheers!

It would be an object called boundary fence. It's not an object but part of the airport record. There are also blast fences. They would be places bt drawing lines and clicking vertex points

Country
norway
It would be an object called boundary fence. It's not an object but part of the airport record.

Can't find it in the in-game DevMode unfortunately. Seams like there's some stuff not yet included in the DevMode tools, that really should be there. Noticed COMs where missing as well, had to add them manually to the XML file, which isn't that cumbersome, but when it comes the the boundary fence, well, typing out every pint would be a lot of unnecessary work :p

I guess I could use ADE to create the border fence on a P3D airport, and copy and paste the border fence object from that XML file to the MSFS2020 XML file?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
you could use xml from another sim as you suggested. You can right click on the object and select Show XML. You should be able to select and copy the code from the window

Country
norway
UPDATE
So I tried to copy the boundary fence xml code from ADE into the scenery xml file. The scenery compiled with no errors regarding the boundary fence, but unfortunately no fence is showing. I tried with a couple of different objects as the GUID for the boundary fence without luck :confused:

Country
finland
Noticed COMs where missing as well, had to add them manually to the XML file

Could you give a hint on how and where to add the COMs? I am making an airport in Finland (EFPR) that does not exist in MSFS but haven't found out how to add ATIS and reporting frequencies.

Country
finland
You mean adding a frequency? Somebody wrote this in my forum here: http://forum.bahrometrix.de/viewtopic.php?f=51&p=3598&sid=c8b9e76d373515267822c2760a52e763#p3588

But the text is in German :)
Excellent, thank you! No problem with German. :) But I am a little confused with the UNICOM / MULTICOM - should I use MULTICOM as type on an airport without air-trafic controller? Two of the airports I am working on are non-controlled and have ATIS and a reporting frequency.

Country
unitedstates
UPDATE
So I tried to copy the boundary fence xml code from ADE into the scenery xml file. The scenery compiled with no errors regarding the boundary fence, but unfortunately no fence is showing. I tried with a couple of different objects as the GUID for the boundary fence without luck :confused:

Any progress on the boundary fence? I hate how naked airports feel without their boundary fences.

Any chance this could be split into two threads?, I'm interested in both subjects being discussed, but comm frequencies doesn't have much to do with boundary fences.

Country
unitedkingdom
Regarding fence objects I have been doing this.... Place two fence objects in line, then select both and hit 'dupicate' and then you place this next two in line to make four,
then select these four and repeat duplicate to make eight, then sixteen etc etc for what ever amount you need to speed up placement and get a straight line.

Multiple selected fence objects (in line) can be maniplated together with Gizmo. You can also put a line of created objects (fences) into a group folder in editor for easy reselection of a fence line.

Not exactly what we need but a sort of 'workaround' which hastened my fencing layout...

Country
finland
Yes, I have been doing that, but for a perimeter fence around a big airport with many different angles on the fence it is very tedious...

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Perhaps Don Grovestine (aka "gadgets") might be abe to adapt his FenceBuilder utility to utilize input via MSFS-2020 SimConnect and/or FSUIPC7, with the additional option of processing *.XML and *.SHP files ...to generate airport boundary fences as 'flat' 3D objects (that are therefore essentially 2D and which may have a more limited performance hit at run time in-sim) ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Country
australia
Could you draw a vector line and use scenproc to place the fence parts along the line at intervals (if you can figure out the length of each fence section and then in FS2020 I think it can clamp to ground, but may need manual x,y,z tweaking to follow terrain.