• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Problem with how textures appear in FS

Country
italy
Hi all!

I come with a problem that is driving me crazy. I am preparing ground polygons for FS9 using ADE. I texture them by 1024x1024 dxt3 textures that I prepared, see the A1.png attached. The textures on the taxiway look pretty fair from the outside of the airplane, I can even see most of the details of the custom concrete and taxiway lines.
But when I am inside the airplane then something weird happen, see A2.png and A3.png below: it seems that when I look at the texture from the airplane, and I am far from the object, the texture becomes vague, any detail is lost.

Is it a problem of visualization of my FS9 settings, or is it a general problem with FS9 sceneries?

Any suggestion/test would is very welcome!

A1.png
A2.png
A3.png

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
That issue is related to the textures' mip maps (down scaled versions of the image inside the same file).
Increasing the texture filter settings in FS can improve the look of it.
You can also try to export the texture without mip maps (what tool do you use?), that results in higher detail at off-normal viewing angles like from the cockpit, but can create moiré patterns in the distance.

Country
italy
That issue is related to the textures' mip maps (down scaled versions of the image inside the same file).
Increasing the texture filter settings in FS can improve the look of it.
You can also try to export the texture without mip maps (what tool do you use?), that results in higher detail at off-normal viewing angles like from the cockpit, but can create moiré patterns in the distance.
Thank you very much for your reply!

As for texture filtering in FS, if I understand correctly what I should look at, I have these settings:

A4.png

I tried to move the MIP mapping quality up to 8 but I get awkward results, namely all the other taxiway lines become "liquid" in the sense that looking at them from almost all the point of view, what I see is small bunches of yellow that float rather than a stable line.

As for the tool that I use to create the textures:
I firstly create the 1024x1024 24-bit bmp using Paint.net, then import it to DXTBmp, save the file as a dxt3: I don't know how to create a dxt3 without mipmaps using this software.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I'm not sure if trilinear is already the best filtering method in FS2004 (I don't have it), or if it can use anisotropic, which gives better results in the later sims.

In DXTBmp you have this little panel on the right handling mip map properites:
1587048802679.png

The upper dropdown menu offers the sampling method used to create the mip maps, which also affect the results (I prefer "Kaiser" as it gives pretty crisp results).
When you uncheck "include when saving" the image will be exported without mip maps.

Country
italy
I'm not sure if trilinear is already the best filtering method in FS2004 (I don't have it), or if it can use anisotropic, which gives better results in the later sims.

In DXTBmp you have this little panel on the right handling mip map properites:
View attachment 56655

The upper dropdown menu offers the sampling method used to create the mip maps, which also affect the results (I prefer "Kaiser" as it gives pretty crisp results).
When you uncheck "include when saving" the image will be exported without mip maps.
Thank you! I am doing some experiment to check how to get the best result on my computer, with and without mipmaps, with dxt1 and dxt3 formats. I am also trying to use your Kaiser when I export with mipmaps.

For FS9 we don't have anisotropic: only options are None, Bilinear and Trilinear.

But I wonder if I prepare textures to work well on my computer, what will happen to other users that have different machines/settings if I distribute the scenery?

Country
italy
Thank you!
I partially got a compromise: mipmap = 7 in FS settings, no mipmaps when creating the dxt1 for the taxiway, yes mipmap with Kaiser for the apron concrete, dxt3 bmp with Kaiser for the textures that require transparency. I found that changing for bilinear to trilinear filter does not change too much. I think I have to cope with the weird behavior of the scenery at the large distance, which I checked happens not only for my own airport but also for the default FS9 terrain.