• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Question about Hierarchy

Country
ca-quebec
Hi all;

I am trying, for first time, to do animation with MCX, and have enccountered a problem !
As a test;
1=i try to make a UFO fly around
2= i try to make UFO rotating.

My testing in MCX both objects work fine, but in FSX the rotation does not work but the flying work good.

I put my .BGL so someone could check wath i do wrong !

Attachments

• UFO-TEST.BGL
    999.2 KB · Views: 136

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I believe that Vector animation can only be movement, not rotation. For rotation I use Quaternium. Chosen from the drop down box when you create the animation.

Country
ca-quebec
Hi Tom,

If you check the object "UFO-test-rotation" in MCX
In the hierarchy window, you will see that i do use the Quaternium and it work fine in MCX.
But i do not know why it does not work in FSX.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
There is no such part in the BGL file you posted , and all six parts use Vector animation. Your Quaternion animation was apparently lost.

Country
ca-quebec
Bizarre !
In my Windows it shows Quaternium, and in MCX it does rotate. ScreenShot010.jpg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I didn't realize you had two separate objects in your BGL file.

The rotation object only has two keyframes, 0 and 200. To get rotation working well in FS, you will need at least 5 keyframes, 0, 50, 100, 150, and 200.

Country
ca-quebec
First, Thank you Tom. Now it work OK.
I am a slow learner ;)

Like you said it takes 5 Keyframes to rotate in FSX.
And i tried in P3D4 and it rotate with only 2 keyframes !

I have 2 more questions :scratchch
1 = Where can i find the manuel / tutorial that explain how to use the Hierarchy ?

2 = i see that in Quaternium, it rotate only 180' is there a way to rotate 360' ?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

Glad to help. Odd that they would act so differently.

I don't know of a tutorial specific to the Hierarchy Editor, but my FS2004 to FSX Conversion Tutorial has a lot of information on how to use it. Mostly in Part 2 and Part 3.

http://www.calclassic.com/convert_tutorial/index.html

To get a 360 degree rotation you will need to add 5 keyframes, and the RotZ values need to be:

for some odd reason.

To enter -90 (you will end up with 90), add a minus sign to the number in the Z: box and it will change it from 90 to -90.

Hope this helps,

Country
ca-quebec
Thank Tom; your my :wizard:

Now i can rotate 360' in all axes.

Like you say, it is wierd to have to put the minus sign in the related box (X-Y or Z).

Slowly but surely i'm getting there :stirthepo