• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Refreshing the model without restarting the sim

Country
france
I can't remember how it was before SU5 but I think it was working fine.
Anyway, since SU5, I can't refresh the interior model without restarting the sim. Each time I modify the interior model XML file (A320_NEO_INTERIOR.xml in my case), I try to refresh it using the 'Load' button of the aircraft selector or by using the 'Resync' action of the aircraft editor. In both cases, I see that my changes are not taken into account until I restart the sim.
Do you have any idea to have the aircraft files refreshed without restarting the sim each time?

Thanks,
Eric

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I don't develop aircraft, I develop scenery. If you have access to the "build" function, you also have access to the "clean all" function. After I have edited a scenery model, I cannot render it into the sim, until I have "cleaned" my previous "build," of the data that does not include the new model. Then I "build all," then I "load this asset group" and my model is ready for placement.

Country
france
My problem is that I don't build anything, I am just modifying an existing aircraft, the A320 Neo.
I am sure Asobo implemented a sort of cache to speed up the speed (especially loading time) and when I update the files, it reads the cache instead of reading the new files. I would like to clear the cache but I did not find any way to do this.

For information, I also use the Coherent Debugger for Gauges, which works fine. But when I update my code and click "reload" in the debugger, it doesn't work. It works only if I press Ctrl-R for "clear cache and reload".
Unfortunately I didn't find the same action to clear cache and reload the aircraft...

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I am sure Asobo implemented a sort of cache to speed up the speed (especially loading time) and when I update the files, it reads the cache instead of reading the new files. I would like to clear the cache but I did not find any way to do this.
Asobo uses "VFS," the virtual file system. Since you are taking something from the Community folder, your edits will remain virtual. However, the airplane in Community is not part of the VFS, I think that is the issue.
I also noticed changes in the VFS after the update and it seems changes in the pipeline from editing, to rendering occurred. Previously, none of my scenery was visible, until I applied, "load asset group." Now, my physical models appear immediately upon "build all," for a previously loaded model library and after an expected delay, upon "build all," for a previously edited model library. However, the ground polygons, flattens, do not appear, until after I "load this asset group."

One more thing of particular note, when I was first learning this VFS, my models did load upon "build all" and I interpreted this to be a problem, over similar circumstances to yours. I studied other peoples tutorials and adopted a system that includes the "load this asset group" step. This suggests, to me, that you are in a similar position in aircraft editing. I am not able to recall what specific procedures I changed.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Save. Clean ALL. Build ALL. Close the project. Open the Project. Voila.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
As an editor of an existing aircraft model, it appears as if he does not have access to the build/clean functions. I suspect he has to make a copy of the model, establish a directory for it and approach the VFS from that posture, to be able to build and flush the whole thing virtually.

Country
france
As an editor of an existing aircraft model, it appears as if he does not have access to the build/clean functions. I suspect he has to make a copy of the model, establish a directory for it and approach the VFS from that posture, to be able to build and flush the whole thing virtually.
This is exactly what I do. I copied the A320_NEO_INTERIOR.xml in my own folder organization, it is properly declared in my layout.json and I am 100% sure it is taken into account because I can see the modelbehavior in the sim. All this works perfect.
The problem is that when I change something in this XML file, I can't have the change taken into account in the sim. The model behavior window in the sim itself still shows the initial version.

I am sure this was working before the SU5, this is how I could tweak the model file with trial and error, the documentation is so poor... But since SU5, it doesn't work any more.

Country
france
Here is what I am talking about:
  • In the sim, in developer mode, I open the model behavior debug window. I see the "CUSTOM" component I have created and I see my "EMA_Chrono" template. No doubt, my modified A320 interior model XML file is loaded in the VFS and taken into account.

1628001903689.png

• Now if I change anything if the XML file, let's say the name of the generated event that is "EMA_Chrono_Push" here, and reload the aircraft using "Load" or "Resync", nothing changes in the debug window.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
One more suggestion, was to close and reopen the project. Are you able to make your changes, save and close? Maybe open another aircraft, or leave dev mode? Then reopen your project to check for saved changes.

Country
france
One more suggestion, was to close and reopen the project. Are you able to make your changes, save and close? Maybe open another aircraft, or leave dev mode? Then reopen your project to check for saved changes.
I already tried to load another aircraft and reload my aircraft, but it doesn't work better, while I am sure it was working before SU5.
Regarding the project, the problem is that I have no project open. I modify the files in the aircraft folder (located in the Community folder) and I reload. This works perfect on gauges, which is my main interest, but not for the model files.

Country
france
I was wrong !!!
Loading another aircraft and reloading my aircraft works and refreshes the model file, it works !!
I guess I was wrong during my tests because I forgot to save the files before trying to refresh, what an idiot...

Just in case it might be useful for someone else: if you do this, wait a little time when the second aircraft is loaded to have its interior model fully loaded before switching back to your aircraft, this is important.
I am not sure anyone else uses the same method as me, but I share just in case.

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well good to know, when the rest of us get around to that sort of thing.